Cabin 2465 Cat. 1A (Pictures)

Wennfred

I think people are trying to make themselves feel better by saying HC will have problems getting around in it. Handicapped doesn't always mean the person is in a wheelchair. Perhaps someone with limited mobility doesn't need the extra room but needs the HC bathroom.

Any other excuses? :rolleyes:

Helen: If you refer to my earlier comment today, I am absolutely not trying to make myself feel better. I didn't feel bad in the first place. The 1A cabins I select have no modifications whatsoever. . . and a few of those are even a bit difficult to navigate as able-bodied.

You are so absolutely right that handicapped doesn't always mean a wheelchair is involved. That's why I worded my comment (copied below) as being 'wheelchair specific'.

. . . may I highly encourage someone who needs regular use of a wheelchair to choose either of these two cabins only as a last resort. I don't see any way that they'd be the most wheelchair friendly of the ship's hc-accessible cabins. There is very limited turn radius in that narrow entry hallway, and for those which do have the two beds on the floor, basically zero space for chair/scooter storage.

I have multiple sailings ahead in these unique 1As with two windows, and since none of the ones I booked have any modifications (including showers), I feel quite comfortable keeping those for myself. When that type of cabin is not available for me to book, I will continue to inquire at the time of reservation that I am not booking a cabin designed for special access. I would have great personal regrets if I later discovered I had.

That's why I research things as completely as I do.

hmm, we were able to bump an AB from an oceanview on the Liberty deck 7. a few months before final payment.

Wow! This is the first time I have ever heard of AB's being bumped from a HC room.

I am just telling people what Carnival Special needs told me.

Wow! This is the first time I have ever heard of AB's being bumped from a HC room.

as sad as it is-- you can call carnival # many times with the same question and get different answers each time.

The people we bumped from 7206 (the people who had the cabin never checked their online information and checked their luggage= i guess they found out they were put in an oceanview on the main deck AFTER they checked in---their luggage came to the room - the cabin steward hd to move it back down.

So although the people at the special needs tells you it is not possible- i have proven otherwise. So i tell people who book handicapped cabins in order to get bigger rooms for their money--they can be moved if a person comes along and proves a need.

THERE is a difference between a HC cabin and one that is modified- You will not be moved out of a modified cabin

My wife and her friend were on the Legend a couple years ago in a handicapped cabin. There was no marking on the Carnival deck plans indicating it was a handicapped cabin. It was one of the sideways cabins with the long balconies.

When they boarded they got a call and were asked to move. Of course they agreed. I don't know what would have happened had they said no.

I believe they got some chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of wine for their trouble.

Bill

They'd better not bump me out of 2465 on Glory Dec. 6th unless it's to a balcony room!

2465 is not a handicapped cabin you will not be moved. Your agent should also note on your reservation that you do not want to upgrade.

I can add a third experience as well.

Boarded the ship in Tampa, and a married couple approached me for a favor. They were told at check-in that they were being moved because someone else needed their special-access cabin. They'd already checked their luggage, and were supposed to be assigned to the cabin next to mine. They just wanted me to call them if I saw their bags arrive, since the luggage tags still had their original cabin location. I told them I'd be glad to watch for the arrival.

Soon afterwards, the new occupants showed up, and were giving the accompanying assistant hotel manager fits about the situation. They were a family of five, and were now going to be split between different decks, and that was just not acceptible. It started to get ugly.

I spoke up and mentioned that since the ship wasn't full, I'd be glad to move to another cabin if needed, and that I'd done nothing more than sit in a chair in this cabin. It would need no preparation at all. One of the CCL crew members came in, looked around, and called me a Saint. I told him that wasn't the case, because it would also get me away from the lady throwing the fit. We chuckled about that.

The cabin I moved to was waaaaay better, so it worked out well for all. The crew members took complete charge of getting my luggage (as well as that of the original neighbors) re-directed to the new cabins.

OK, that was too much explanation, but the original next door passengers were absolutely 'bumped' by Carnival at the check-in desk.

I called Carnival again and was told again...... 2465 is modified for handicapped. Sorry, Fred. I guess Carnival told me wrong twice.

I think people are trying to make themselves feel better by saying HC will have problems getting around in it. Handicapped doesn't always mean the person is in a wheelchair. Perhaps someone with limited mobility doesn't need the extra room but needs the HC bathroom.

Any other excuses? :rolleyes:

there is a difference between a handicapped cabin and one that is modiied.

like Fred stated-- this is not a cabin someone in a wheelchair that needs that chair to get around could book- it can be used for a person with limited mobility that can walk some-- the chair will not fit in the door.

also- VERY many carnival agents do not know about these fabulous 1A rooms and will tell you they have bunk beds too.

Many cabins are hc modified--so they will have choices wherre there are few true handicapped cabins

there is a difference between a handicapped cabin and one that is modiied.

like Fred stated-- this is not a cabin someone in a wheelchair that needs that chair to get around could book- it can be used for a person with limited mobility that can walk some-- the chair will not fit in the door.

also- VERY many carnival agents do not know about these fabulous 1A rooms and will tell you they have bunk beds too.

Many cabins are hc modified--so they will have choices wherre there are few true handicapped cabins

Redhead said her chair would fit thru the door. She must have a smaller chair. A regular wheelchair will not fit thru the door. Most scooters and walkers will fit. What about them? Are they less entitled?

So since a regular wheelchair wont get thru the door does that make it okay to book it? It is still a handicapped cabin whether you put the word accessible or modified in front of it.

They are both for handicapped cruisers and in my opinion they should be left for people with disabilities whether it be in a wheelchair or not.

They are both for handicapped cruisers and in my opinion they should be left for people with disabilities whether it be in a wheelchair or not.

I agree with you that handicapped rooms should be left for handicapped cruisers but as with most things unless it says specifically that it is for handicapped then it isn't handicapped reserved. No matter what your opinion is. As others have posted these rooms aren't exclusively for the handicapped and can be booked by anyone. I have booked these rooms and the others that are like them that have the extended balcony that are a few decks up and I find it very hard to believe that a wheelchair can get to the bathroom the way these rooms are set up. As Serene as already pointed out you can call Carnival and get as many different answers as calls about information you call about. Until Carnival says these are Handicapped reserved when booking then they are free game to anyone who wished to book them.

Well this is just to all that book an accessible cabin and do not really need it, enjoy your spacious room. Think about what a great cabin you snagged. Think about how lucky you were to get this cabin. Think about

the person who cannot cruise because you booked this spacious cabin. Think about how you would feel if the person that could not cruise was someone you loved..............:( Think about it guys..just because you can book it, should you???????

Well this is just to all that book an accessible cabin and do not really need it, enjoy your spacious room. Think about what a great cabin you snagged. Think about how lucky you were to get this cabin. Think about

the person who cannot cruise because you booked this spacious cabin. Think about how you would feel if the person that could not cruise was someone you loved..............:( Think about it guys..just because you can book it, should you???????

Really, I do not think anyone here calls to book a designated HA cabin...I know sometimes if they are not booked by HA need, they are assigned to non-H cruisers...just like hotel rooms are.

I understand your post but really...it sounds like...think about that meal you are eating and all the kids in the world starving...

No one here is trying to deprive anyone who wants to cruise from cruising..please...

I'm sorry to "interrupt" but I have a question.

You are saying that the cabin is a handicapped cabin because of the soap dispensers? Besides that, what other features do these cabins have that would make it a "modified" cabin?

We were in an 8A on the Destiny and our soap dispensers were low. I'm 5'2" and I had to stoop a bit to reach them. I'm pretty sure it was in no way a handicapped or "modified" cabin. The shower was lipped and it was just a standard cabin bathroom.

A wheelchair accessible room will have wider hall and bathroom doors. A roll in shower. Some others. A modified cabin can mean many things. For example, it could be modified for deaf or blind people. Someone who uses a walker instead of a wheelchair.

Not all special needs require a wheelchair, but certainly some do.

I'm sorry to "interrupt" but I have a question.

You are saying that the cabin is a handicapped cabin because of the soap dispensers? Besides that, what other features do these cabins have that would make it a "modified" cabin?

We were in an 8A on the Destiny and our soap dispensers were low. I'm 5'2" and I had to stoop a bit to reach them. I'm pretty sure it was in no way a handicapped or "modified" cabin. The shower was lipped and it was just a standard cabin bathroom.

was there a fold out seat in the bathroom? if no--your cabin was not a modified cabin

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on tv, so I don't know if the cruiselines are subject to the U.S. ADA laws. However, I'd think that if someone without special needs booked a special needs cabin and later a special needs person wanted to book the same cruise, that the cruiseline would ask the original passenger to change cabins, possibly offering some kind of compensation to do so. If the cabins were only available to those with special needs, they wouldn't show up as available to the general public. Since I've found the 1As with windows, that's all I'll book; but if the cruiseline asked me to move for someone with special needs, I'd do it. However, I'd definitely negotiate for something better than an inside cabin.

was there a fold out seat in the bathroom? if no--your cabin was not a modified cabin

No, there was not. Just a fold-up seat....the toilet! :D I'm assuming these 1A's must have one and that's why everyone is saying they are handicapped?

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and read some more and figure out what makes these 1A's modified besides the soap dispensers.

I had 2462 on the Conquest and it is not modified nor is it handicap accessible. There was a step into the bathroom and there was no seat in the shower. So if anyone wants to book it they can.

I was in 2465 but not the bathroom so I can't tell you if it had a handicap bathroom or not.

Judy<---wishes for a seat in the shower to shave my legs

So, based on the fact that cabins 2462 do not have the rim-less shower and fold down seats they are NOT handicapped modified rooms?

Would all concur?

I havent even been able to confirm with any PVP that on the Conquest 2465 is modified. Would be nice if it was as our friend has that cabin for this Sept who is on a walker. The PVP had to go ask someone for measurements to make sure the walker could fit in the long hallway.

the fact that one cabin 2465 on one ship is modified with a pull down seat in the shower doesnt mean to me I can for sure count on it for every conquest class ship? I wouldnt mind a thread confirming what handicapped modifications have been made to which of these two cabins as I am travelling with 2 who have some physical problems.

The only thing someone has actually confirmed here about the Conquest cabins is the step up into the bathroom is less than the step up to a regular bathroom, but there is still a step up. Posters who are claiming 2465 is HC, Id like to know which ship as our PVP says for Conquest they are not HC. Please be ship specific if you have handicapped information on these cabins.

I just spoke with my PVP cause we are thinking of taking the Liberty in the Med next year and I asked about 2465 and 2462, since we had thought of booking one of these to save some money. She said that these aren't HC rooms or HC modified. She did say she would email the Hotel Manger on this ship to make sure and would get back with me when she had an answer. She said she didn't think any of these rooms were HC at least her reservation system has never said they were. Maybe we can get some of this squared away to put it to bed once and for all.

Archived