Cabin 2465 Cat. 1A (Pictures)

Wennfred

Just going to give one requested answer in regard to 2462/2465, and then I'm backing completely out of this thread. It's starting to go a direction that I don't feel comfortable with, and I'm not going to 'take sides'.

On Carnival Glory, both 2462 & 2465 have a narrow entrance hallway, a standard height desk, two standard chairs, three standard-design closets, a step up into the bathroom, a standard (aka tiny) shower stall with a lip to keep the water contained in it. No special fold-down seats or lowered dispensers. Since there is only one bed on the floor, the second person, mobility challenged or not, is going to have to climb the ladder to get their fanny into bed.

These cabins are way aft on Main Deck, and (has been noted by another CC member with some mobility concerns) could encounter a challenge when attempting to navigate the hallways during embarkation, as well as on the final evening, when large amounts of luggage are placed in the hallways.

Thanks, again, Fred for starting a thread that has offered me a lot of information I didn't already know. Greatly appreciated.:)

I'm outta here.

These cabins are way aft on Main Deck, and (has been noted by another CC member with some mobility concerns) could encounter a challenge when attempting to navigate the hallways during embarkation, as well as on the final evening, when large amounts of luggage are placed in the hallways.

Don: Just a note- most handicapped cabins are either all the way forward- or aft.

The oceanviews on the COnquest class are across the front of the ship-- and amazingly the luggage in the hall were not an issue for us.

This thread did take a turn for the worse-

Firefly has made a good point-- although these ships all have the "famous 1As" they are not all created the same. Some have two beds some have one bed. So with that= some may have been modified== and none are handicapped accessible.

On my Med cruise a couple of years ago, I had a long discussion with my PVP and his supervisor about my need for a HC cabin. They said they could offer me a 'modified HC' cabin with extra space and a BR with 'special accommadations.

I stayed in room 2465 and, it was indeed modified. The hall was wide enough for my scooter and I could move about the room without being cramped. For those of you who are not wheel-chair bound, you are probably obvious to these little changes that make a big difference in the daily lives of the physically challanged.

So...please leave these cabins (the two afts on the main deck of all Carnival Ships) to the people who really need them.

I just talked to the Guest Access Services and was told cabin 2465 on the Liberty and Valor are accessible modified cabins. It has no step into the bathroom the bathroom is larger with a raised toilet large shower with a pull down seat. She told me it has a 32'' door and no step into the cabin and the cabin is larger than a regular cabin. I was told I should have no trouble using my scooter in this room.

I hope they are right as I went and booked this cabin.

Per my pvp she got a response from the hotel manger aboard the Liberty and these rooms aren't HC accessible or HC modified. So it appears that for some ships these are and for some ships they aren't. So for me I will ask if they are on the different ships that I book these rooms, if I am told they are HC modified I won't book them if I am aren't then they are free game.

2465 may be modified (and I think on some, is), but 2462 wasn't on Liberty and I don't think on others. These cabins are larger, but not because they have been modified for access, but because of the long entrance hall of pretty much useless space (at least on Liberty 2462).

If you scroll down to the bottom, you can find some pictures of 2462 near the bottom on this website:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/liberty_06/lib10.htm

Based on the pictures, I don't see how you could maneuver a wheelchair around in 2462. There is no extra railing or seat in the shower.

Is the cabin with the pictures a handicapped accessible room? If so, why would you take it away from someone who really needs it?

No, that is not a handicap accessible room. That's what the controversy is about. Non of these 1A's are handicap accessible, some are modified but only a couple would be able to accommodate a wheelchair. The Conquest has 24" doors on these rooms and are not modified.

Anybody can book a handicap accessible room. If someone with a handicap needs the room, Carnival will bump the guests out of the room. It happens all the time.

Judy

APRIL FOOLS!!!!

They're really are not such cabins... :D :D

Of course there are and no they are not handicapped cabins. They are cabins that were squeezed in sideways because there are stairs... Maybe we could call the aft stair wraps!! Like they do with those balcony cabins...

They are two cabins that the PVPs like to to smile about. I am so happy Wennfred spoke about them. I have travelled in handicapped cabins with Mom. The PVP gave me measurements of this door and hallway... she can NOT get in this one...

I have one in May '09 for the first time...

Now have a Happy April Fools Day and don't worry... we're not stealing a handicapped cabin away from anyone!!!

On Carnival's Fascination we were given a choice of two types of handicap wheelchair accessible cabins - a MODIFIED handicapped accessible room or a REGULAR handicapped accessible room. Both types of rooms have larger entry doors, roll in showers with pull down shower seat, elevated toilets and grab bars. The major difference between the two types of rooms is the square footage of the bathroom and room. Compared to the regular Handicapped room the MODIFIED handicap room is 5 square feet larger but the bathroom is 5 square feet smaller. The regular handicapped accessible rooms have 5 square feet more in the bathroom which allows the wheelchair to completely turn around in it. My quadriplegic husband is completely wheelchair bound. We chose the MODIFIED handicapped room (E70) as we needed the extra space in the room for the wheelchair and we were able to roll the chair partially into the bathroom and transfer to toilet or shower seat with help of a "banana board". A big heartfelt thank you to those of you who are not handicapped who are refusing to book regular handicapped and modified handicapped accessible rooms.

I can't understand why a group of AB people are discussing (with glee, no less) booking these HC rooms which are described on this thread.:confused:

These rooms were designed for physically challenged folks. Period. Please have a conscience and leave them for the passengers who really need them.

This thread is so full of mis-information. Keep in mind, you may be denying someone else a cruise...if you choose to believe these cabins are for 'anybody' who wants to book them.

Thank You.

Only 3 ships have ONE cabin that has SOME modifications. If you all need a HC cabin, there are others besides these...to hear some of these posts you would think every ship had both of these cabins as modified for HC. Some have 2465 with a pull down shower seat, and might not have the ledge like the Conquest cabins have.

Not all these cabins are HC and some of us actually do travel with HC folks.

I dont think the rest of us are the ones with the problems, Im getting tired of folks blasting the rest of us. Neither of the two cabins on the Conquest has any modifications...they are one of the cabins on only 3 ships at most.

Dont generalize. We are also travelling with a single on a walker, so she needs a 1A and wishes Conquest cabins were HC. Please quit whining about folks who are booking these cabins and hijacking this thread. Start a new thread rather than hijack this thread please.

Does anyone have pictures of the port hole 1A's on the Victory - room 2216 specifically? My DS is booked on it and I'd love to see what he's getting. Thanks Fred for the great pictures.

Here is a thread with a pic of 1211 on the Glory

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=725576

Here is 2216 on Liberty pic, it looks slightly wider than 1211.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=739857

You might post your question on one of these threads and maybe someone will have a pic from Victory of 2216?

I can't understand why a group of AB people are discussing (with glee, no less) booking these HC rooms which are described on this thread.:confused:

These rooms were designed for physically challenged folks. Period. Please have a conscience and leave them for the passengers who really need them.

This thread is so full of mis-information. Keep in mind, you may be denying someone else a cruise...if you choose to believe these cabins are for 'anybody' who wants to book them.

Thank You.

Janet: and then you come on and add to the misinformation. These cabins are 1A cabins and "SOME" may be modified. Any one can book a modified cabin as there are quite a few to chose from. A person in a wheelchair will not be comfortable in these cabins.

please take the time and read through most of the pics and posts of these cabins.

I can't understand why a group of AB people are discussing (with glee, no less) booking these HC rooms which are described on this thread.:confused: Only 3 cabin out 18 have been confirmed as HC modified

These rooms were designed for physically challenged folks. Designed and Modified are two different things

Period. There isn't a period in anything you have posted here

Please have a conscience and leave them for the passengers who really need them. As numerous poster have already stated that if they are told these rooms are HC modified then they wouldn't book them but if they aren't listed as HC modified they are free game

This thread is so full of mis-information. Keep in mind, you may be denying someone else a cruise...if you choose to believe these cabins are for 'anybody' who wants to book them. Yes and most of the misinformation is coming from you and others that don't have solid facts as have been proven here on more than one post.

Thank You.

Most here can appreciate what you are trying to do and that is to inform other of the plight of the HC and the cabins that are designed for them. I agree that HC have a very limited choice when it comes to cabins and all effort should be made to keep those open for the HC. I will also not book cabins that are for the HC but I will book one of these cabins based upon fact and not someones unproven opinion on these cabins.

Thank You.

Where do you get your injformation as it is wrong. Several people have stated wheelchairs don't fit through the door. These are 1A's with 2 port holes. End of story.

Where do you get your injformation as it is wrong. Several people have stated wheelchairs don't fit through the door. These are 1A's with 2 port holes. End of story.

The door width in 2465 on the Valor is 32". My wheelchair will fit through the door. All wheelchairs arent made in one size you know. How about people in scooters, rollators or walkers. They will also fit through this door and they need the modified bathroom.

We are currently in Vegas, I'm up 200.00 and pretty happy but after reading these posts. I'm all for HC people, in fact my last Spirit cruise, I had to assist a wheelchair couple because no one would let them into the elevator, I had to yell at some people and told them to wait for the next one, it turns out these wheelchair people were Cruise Critic members, they met us at the meet.

BUT, I'm also now getting a bad taste when some HC person comes on and starts complaining etc.

This is the last I will post about this, these cabins, although they may be modified they are not on any HC Cabin list, Carnival is too smart for that, Like I stated before, there is only ONE Category. 1A Cabin for HC on the Destiny Class ships and there are 3 ships and that cabin is 1309. There are NO Cat.1a HC cabins on the Conquest class, they start with Cat.4c and on.

Read this next paragraph carefully:

The ADA Does not want to see a HALF ASS MODIFIED Cabin, thats a major violation withing the ADA rules and regs. There are court appointed lawyers that come onboard to ensure these peoples ADA Rights are met completely and thats why Carnival does not list these somewhat modified cabins as HC cabins.

I know more then you think about ADA because the state of california have been sued by inmates over these issues, Colman vs California, Armstrong vs California etc. Todays California state prisons are in complete compliance with ADA and we also get surprise inspection by those appointed lawyers by the courts to ensure these rights are met.

Thats my 2cents, now back to my vacation.

Fred

The door width in 2465 on the Valor is 32". My wheelchair will fit through the door. All wheelchairs arent made in one size you know. How about people in scooters, rollators or walkers. They will also fit through this door and they need the modified bathroom.

So getting your wheelchair through a cabin door make the room HC. I don't think so that is like saying a HC tagged car can park in any parking space so that makes them all HC. I am really tired of discussing this as well so I have to say we can all agree to disagree. I will be mindful of the HC issue and I will ask Carnival when I book these rooms and if told they aren't I am going to book them. For all those that think these rooms are HC why don't you take this up with Carnival that is who ultimately makes these decisions.

Thank You.

Why? So you can "get the last laugh" at them as you mention (with glee no less) in this post:

However we posters who are put off by her Thank-you-for-coming-to-my- personal-pity-party- get the last laugh. The cabin she is booked in now is one of the worst on the ship..it is at the very front where it is forever windy and probably the roughest ride on the ship!

So getting your wheelchair through a cabin door make the room HC. I don't think so that is like saying a HC tagged car can park in any parking space so that makes them all HC. I am really tired of discussing this as well so I have to say we can all agree to disagree. I will be mindful of the HC issue and I will ask Carnival when I book these rooms and if told they aren't I am going to book them. For all those that think these rooms are HC why don't you take this up with Carnival that is who ultimately makes these decisions.

Thank you, Volz, for being mindful of the HC issue.

The modified bathroom makes the room Handicapped. Everyone was saying how the cabin wasn't Handicapped because of the door width and how a wheelchair couldn't get thru.

I don't know what handicapped cabin list you guys are talking about. But when I called Carnival special needs they told me 2465 on the valor was a modified handicapped cabin. I don't think they would lie to me.

You guys are just making excuses and saying it isn't modified handicapped so you can feel better about booking it. Jeez. These cabins are for the physically challenged.

My last post on this selfish thread as well.

That's great to know because my sister, who uses a walker, and sometimes a scooter, has booked that room for our November 2009 cruise.

Archived