Cabin 2465 Cat. 1A (Pictures)

Wennfred

Thank you, Volz, for being mindful of the HC issue.

The modified bathroom makes the room Handicapped. Everyone was saying how the cabin wasn't Handicapped because of the door width and how a wheelchair couldn't get thru.

I don't know what handicapped cabin list you guys are talking about. But when I called Carnival special needs they told me 2465 on the valor was a modified handicapped cabin. I don't think they would lie to me.

You guys are just making excuses and saying it isn't modified handicapped so you can feel better about booking it. Jeez. These cabins are for the physically challenged.

My last post on this selfish thread as well.

I stayed quiet for a long time while you folks tried to highjack this thread into being a thread about HC folks...please take your HC discussion and move it elsewhere.

You are talking about ONE cabin on ONE ship. Only three ships have one of the cabins with modifications...Yes, I agree you all are being very selfish to get on your high horses and lecture folks over and over when most of these cabins have no modifications. Please lets go back to real information and quit the lectures about only 3 of these cabins....we get it. 3 of these cabins out of all of them have a few modifications in the bathrooms.

As many of us have said, we too could use the HC modifications. Im travelling with a sister who has balance issues and has trouble with curbs, so the step up into the bath is a real issue and she has to hang on in the shower and I wash her hair. The other lady is on a walker. What makes you all think you have the right to lecture us ad naseum and that we dont have the right to book these cabins, just because we dont advertise we have some handicaps we too deal with.

We are currently in Vegas, I'm up 200.00 and pretty happy but after reading these posts. I'm all for HC people, in fact my last Spirit cruise, I had to assist a wheelchair couple because no one would let them into the elevator, I had to yell at some people and told them to wait for the next one, it turns out these wheelchair people were Cruise Critic members, they met us at the meet.

BUT, I'm also now getting a bad taste when some HC person comes on and starts complaining etc.

This is the last I will post about this, these cabins, although they may be modified they are not on any HC Cabin list, Carnival is too smart for that, Like I stated before, there is only ONE Category. 1A Cabin for HC on the Destiny Class ships and there are 3 ships and that cabin is 1309. There are NO Cat.1a HC cabins on the Conquest class, they start with Cat.4c and on.

Read this next paragraph carefully:

The ADA Does not want to see a HALF ASS MODIFIED Cabin, thats a major violation withing the ADA rules and regs. There are court appointed lawyers that come onboard to ensure these peoples ADA Rights are met completely and thats why Carnival does not list these somewhat modified cabins as HC cabins.

I know more then you think about ADA because the state of california have been sued by inmates over these issues, Colman vs California, Armstrong vs California etc. Todays California state prisons are in complete compliance with ADA and we also get surprise inspection by those appointed lawyers by the courts to ensure these rights are met.

Thats my 2cents, now back to my vacation.

Fred

FYI!

The ADA's rulues and reg.do not cover foreign flagged vessels. A "Half-A$$ed Modified cabin is better than nothing to a physically challanged Person.

I don't know what handicapped cabin list you guys are talking about. But when I called Carnival special needs they told me 2465 on the valor was a modified handicapped cabin. I don't think they would lie to me.

I dont think the person lied-- you just might have been talking to someone who really doesnt know. You can call carnival many times with the same question and get different answers, I would believe a person here on CC first before I believed a person who gets paid by the cruiselines to give out information

And if it truly is a modified cabin that will allow access with a scooter-- please take photos so we all can see too.

FYI!

The ADA's rulues and reg.do not cover foreign flagged vessels. A "Half-A$$ed Modified cabin is better than nothing to a physically challanged Person.

OK, I sincerely apologize for making an earlier statement that I'd be posting no future info this thread, and then doing this one. . . . but after reading this totally screwed statement, I felt I needed to offer a correct answer (link) for those others who might be reading.

I would have totally thought that those who are on this crusade would, at the very least, know of the Supreme Court decision concerning ADA and cruise vessels. Wow, how disappointing. :(

http://docket.medill.northwestern.edu/archives/001813.php

Well I have been following this thread for some time now and I have finally made my decision on where I sit.

I have every bit as much right to a cheap 1A cabin with port holes as a disabled person and if I decide to go on the conquest again, I will be looking into booking one of these 1A cabins.

And to those of you that say I could be preventing a handicapped person from getting a room, look at it this way, if I were handicapped, the room would still be taken.

The fact that a couple of these rooms have some modifications to them will just make it more convienent when a handicapped person is lucky enough to snag the room.

OK, I sincerely apologize for making an earlier statement that I'd be posting no future info this thread, and then doing this one. . . . but after reading this totally screwed statement, I felt I needed to offer a correct answer (link) for those others who might be reading.

I would have totally thought that those who are on this crusade would, at the very least, know of the Supreme Court decision concerning ADA and cruise vessels. Wow, how disappointing. :(

http://docket.medill.northwestern.edu/archives/001813.php

After observing many CruiseCritic members apparent disdain for reading source documents, I've snipped out the important part:

"On Tues., Sept. 28, 2004, the U.S. Supreme Court accepted review in the case, and on June 6, 2005, a divided Court reversed, holding 5-4 that foreign-flag cruise ships in U.S. waters do need to make reasonable accommodations for disabled passengers under federal law. Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote the Court's lead majority opinion. Justices Clarence Thomas, Antonin Scalia, Sandra Day O'Connor and Chief Justice William Rehnquist dissented."

Well I have been following this thread for some time now and I have finally made my decision on where I sit.

I have every bit as much right to a cheap 1A cabin with port holes as a disabled person and if I decide to go on the conquest again, I will be looking into booking one of these 1A cabins.

And to those of you that say I could be preventing a handicapped person from getting a room, look at it this way, if I were handicapped, the room would still be taken.

The fact that a couple of these rooms have some modifications to them will just make it more convienent when a handicapped person is lucky enough to snag the room.

I will continue to book my favorite 1A cabins also. If Carnival wants to move me to a regular OV, that's ok with me, but I will not move to an inside cabin.

After observing many CruiseCritic members apparent disdain for reading source documents, I've snipped out the important part:

"On Tues., Sept. 28, 2004, the U.S. Supreme Court accepted review in the case, and on June 6, 2005, a divided Court reversed, holding 5-4 that foreign-flag cruise ships in U.S. waters do need to make reasonable accommodations for disabled passengers under federal law. Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote the Court's lead majority opinion. Justices Clarence Thomas, Antonin Scalia, Sandra Day O'Connor and Chief Justice William Rehnquist dissented."

I think the operate words here are in US waters.

I think the operate words here are in US waters.

As usual I think you missed the point of the post. I think the operate word there was they REVERSED the prior decision that they had to accomodate cruisers in U.S. waters...i.e. they do NOT now have to do it.

What is up with this thread:confused: If HC persons have issues then deal with Carnival... and there is a board for this type of banter.:rolleyes:

what is sad is it wont be long til this thread is closed coz I see it will get nasty. Sad that many folks wont get to read the great information gathered here.

As usual I think you missed the point of the post. I think the operate word there was they REVERSED the prior decision that they had to accomodate cruisers in U.S. waters...i.e. they do NOT now have to do it.

That is 100%, completely incorrect. Please read the source again. If any part of your journey is in US waters, the ADA applies.

First:

"The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas ruled that Title III applies to foreign ships within U.S. territorial waters."

Second:

"In January 2004 the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously reversed, saying Title III does not apply to foreign ships because there is no evidence that Congress intended the law to affect these ships."

Finally:

That is 100%, completely incorrect. Please read the source again. If any part of your journey is in US waters, the ADA applies.

First:

"The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas ruled that Title III applies to foreign ships within U.S. territorial waters."

Second:

"In January 2004 the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously reversed, saying Title III does not apply to foreign ships because there is no evidence that Congress intended the law to affect these ships."

Finally:

Yes, you are right, they reversed and then reversed again, now foreign ships DO have to comply if they are travelling in U.S. waters. I see that now. Read both reversals myself.

Two reversals. Whatever, there are handicapped cabins. These are not them.

o.k. maybe I'm slow, but I just came upon this thread and was excited to find out about this "secret". I was trying to figure out which ships, cabins, and bed configurations; and was confused by all the posts. So I think I have it all figured out now and will post here for anyone else as confused as I was.

Conquest - 2 twin beds - 2462, 2465

Freedom - 2 twin beds -2463, 2465

Valor - 2 twin beds - 2462, 2465

Liberty - 2 twin beds - 2462, 2465

Glory - 1 twin 1 upper - 2462, 2465

Triumph - 1 twin 1 upper - 2444, 2445

Victory - 1 twin and 1 upper - 2444, 2445

Destiny - 2334 2 twin beds, 2335 1 twin 1 upper

Splendor - charged as oceanview

Hopefully that will help someone else, or at least turn the discussion back to what it started out as.

I dont think the person lied-- you just might have been talking to someone who really doesnt know. You can call carnival many times with the same question and get different answers, I would believe a person here on CC first before I believed a person who gets paid by the cruiselines to give out information

And if it truly is a modified cabin that will allow access with a scooter-- please take photos so we all can see too.

I called Carnival special needs again and was told again 2465 on the Valor is modified handicapped. How many time do I have to call until you believe. How many times have you called?

Here is a quote from another cruiser ........

I just booked cabin 2465 after talking to Guest Access Services. I was told cabin 2465 on the Liberty and Valor was an modified handicapped cabin with a 32'' door. It has a large bathroom with a raised toilet no step into the bathroom and a pull down seat in the shower. I was told I would have no problems using my small scooter in this cabin. After looking at the pi cures of this cabin I think it will work for me.

Her is a quote from another cruiser who stayed in this cabin.....I stayed in room 2465 and, it was indeed modified. The hall was wide enough for my scooter and I could move about the room without being cramped. For those of you who are not wheel-chair bound, you are probably obvious to these little changes that make a big difference in the daily lives of the physically challenged.

Go back to post #1 and #2 on this thread to see pictures of this modified handicapped cabin.

In post #2 Wennfred said....."Bathroom was also big, It must be set up for a Wheel Chair, there is no lip but a drain that follows around the shower, the curtains run over the drain. There is also a seat you can drop from the wall in the shower."

If you don't believe me......beileive Wennfred. You said you would believe a CC poster first.

HC cabins accessible or modified are very limited. So when those of us who need one to be able to cruise sees one advertised with pictures, (2465 on the Valor to be specific) Telling everyone how nice it is.....and to book it.......it really chaps our hides.

This thread is a sad look into our society. Me, me, me, who cares who I screw as long as I get the cabin I want. :eek:

Go to the disabled cruise forum and read for a while.

Do you consider everything written on an internet forum to be a valid source or just those things that fit your agenda?

I agree with your me me me comment. So, when do you and Janet plan to STOP telling other people what cabins they could/should book because it may inconvenience you?

I agree with your me me me comment. So, when do you and Janet plan to STOP telling other people what cabins they could/should book because it may inconvenience you?

I get the feeling the few folks who consider themselves HC are talking among themselves. It cant be coincidence they all decided to come over and hijack this thread on their own.

Im reporting this obvious attempt to hijack the thread because of a few modifications to only 3 cabins out of 16 of all of the cabins being discussed.

I suggest others start reporting these HC people who wouldnt stop these hijack attempts and maybe the mods can help. Anyone else who is sick and tired of all these HC people coming over to hijack this thread, please click on the little triangle in the corner and ask the mods to step in and post to the HC people who are being so rude. This is leaving a bad taste in my mouth about all HC people.

Archived