Renting a car in Maui

Jmgpatty4

8 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Call your favorite car rental agency in advance and reserve a car to be picked up by you at Maui Airport (OGG).

To follow through with this, you will have to cab or Uber over to the car rental facility at the airport.  

If an address comes up on rental car websites other than the airport, look VERY carefully at Google Maps, as you may get info for West Maui, but you definitely want the Kahalui Airport (OGG) locations or, if it still exists, a hotel that is walking distance from the port. Nothing on the west side of the island.

Try Turo Car Rental?   Assume you arriving by ship into Kahalui?  I seem to remember that Enterprise is also a good option for cruise passengers.  Good luck, Cherie

32 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

To follow through with this, you will have to cab or Uber over to the car rental facility at the airport.  

Wouldn't that be true only if you are sailing into Kahului Harbor?  The car rental agencies at the airport are just that - at the airport.  You can either walk to them from baggage claim or take the short tram ride.

Good point about West Maui

26 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Wouldn't that be true only if you are sailing into Kahului Harbor?  The car rental agencies at the airport are just that - at the airport.  You can either walk to them from baggage claim or take the short tram ride.

Good point about West Maui

Yes on renting a car. I assumed the OP was probably docking at Kahalui. Not flying in.

Assumptions:

1. 1)  OP is coming from a cruise ship
  2. 2)  OP is docking at Kahalui

The same assumptions above apply to my visit to Maui in February of next year.  We got a rental car from the Enterprise location, which is a few blocks from the cruise port.  So I will need to walk over to get the car.

You could also take a cab/whatever to the airport where most of the other car rental places are.

16 hours ago, SirTomster said:

Assumptions:

1. 1)  OP is coming from a cruise ship
  2. 2)  OP is docking at Kahalui

The same assumptions above apply to my visit to Maui in February of next year.  We got a rental car from the Enterprise location, which is a few blocks from the cruise port.  So I will need to walk over to get the car.

You could also take a cab/whatever to the airport where most of the other car rental places are.

Even if you take an Uber to the airport for a rental in Maui you'll need to walk out of the port, there is a Longs drug store right across the street from the port entrance where the Ubers usually pick you up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DCwom said:

Even if you take an Uber to the airport for a rental in Maui you'll need to walk out of the port, there is a Longs drug store right across the street from the port entrance where the Ubers usually pick you up.

So the Enterprise location is perfect.  Yes, I walk a little more but I avoid an Uber Fee.  Good thing I already have my reservation for February.

8 hours ago, SirTomster said:

So the Enterprise location is perfect.  Yes, I walk a little more but I avoid an Uber Fee.  Good thing I already have my reservation for February.

Yes, Enterprise isn't far from Longs Drug, in fact we walked out of the port with a family who was renting from Enterprise and we parted ways at Longs.

23 hours ago, SirTomster said:

The Enterprise location there at 40 Hana Highway is franchised vs the one at the airport which is corporately owned. Won't make much difference for most folks (after all, 80% of car rentals in Maui are either Jeep Wranglers or Mustangs) but the airport corporate location will have a better selection of cars, generally newer cars, and better recognition of elite benefits if that applies. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

The Enterprise location there at 40 Hana Highway is franchised vs the one at the airport which is corporately owned. Won't make much difference for most folks (after all, 80% of car rentals in Maui are either Jeep Wranglers or Mustangs) but the airport corporate location will have a better selection of cars, generally newer cars, and better recognition of elite benefits if that applies. 

Good to know.  Does not matter to me unless being a franchise, they decide that they ran out of reservations and cancel mine..  But look, we have this other option only for $500 a day that you could have.

Sadly a worry when renting.   I really worried about that scenario when we did Alaska in June.  I got a stupid cheap rate because I booked so early.  $100 for 2 days out of Anchorage.  I expected it to be canceled but nope, no problem.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SirTomster said:

Good to know.  Does not matter to me unless being a franchise, they decide that they ran out of reservations and cancel mine..  But look, we have this other option only for $500 a day that you could have.

Generally that doesn't happen that often, at least from what I see and I rent cars all the time for work travel. I guess it could but I haven't seen it or heard about it for a while. If anything the rental companies, especially in Hawaii, have more cars than demand and the Lahaina fire didn't do anything to help that. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Generally that doesn't happen that often, at least from what I see and I rent cars all the time for work travel. I guess it could but I haven't seen it or heard about it for a while. If anything the rental companies, especially in Hawaii, have more cars than demand and the Lahaina fire didn't do anything to help that. 

I think proving it happens at all would be difficult. I think its one of those myths that have everyone convinced they "are probably true".

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I think proving it happens at all would be difficult. I think its one of those myths that have everyone convinced they "are probably true".

A certain Seinfeld clip comes to mind...

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

That Enterprise has limited hours on weekends, BTW. Does anyone know about the availability of taxis and Ubers on a Saturday to transfer to the airport and back (hours 7 am to 7 pm in port on an NCL ship).?  

3 hours ago, mlgb said:

Does anyone know about the availability of taxis and Ubers on a Saturday to transfer to the airport and back (hours 7 am to 7 pm in port on an NCL ship).?  

Ubers are pretty reliable in and around Kahului. There will be a bunch of taxis too-- might just be easier hailing an Uber in the app. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, WomanRN said:

Just curious if anyone knows if said Enterprise office close to the port in Maui allows overnight parking in their lot??  That would be a deal breaker!

We were told by another family on the cruise who used Enterprise that they were able to park overnight. I know that is hearsay, so a phone call to confirm would be wise.