Occasionally live review, MSC Seashore YC, 8/4 to 8/11

mica178

9 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

But they let it on board when you first embarked? Subjective vs. objective as usual. Sometimes it works to one's advantage and sometime not. 😉

Yes, he brought the pole on at embarkation. Per the woman running the xray machine, ours was the third she confiscated today,  making me think different people are interpreting the rules differently. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mica178 said:

We are in Costa Maya right now. I had booked an excursion outside of MSC, a fishing trip with a company we have used for the past 12 years. They take us fishing then serve up the catch at their beachside restaurant.  This was the first time both kids fished. I offered up $20 to the person who caught the most. My daughter won by a landslide, but my son caught the biggest fish that was used to make a delectable ceviche. In the end, we all won!

After that, we returned to the boat. Security confiscated my husband's fly fishing pole that had been disassembled and removed of all hooks. Supposedly we'll get it back on disembarking. My husband was rather furious as a fly rod is hardly a weapon. 

Mind sharing who your fishing charter people are?

Tonight was the white party night, but only about half the people in YC were in white. YC has its own party without a specific dress code.

Dinner in the YC was good. I had the fois Gras terrine and caused a hassle by ordering the Sauternes, although the sommelier approved. My son and I had the lamb shank, which was excellent.  For dessert, I had to order the cherries jubilee,  although I found it too sweet. 

I think we all had too much sun, so we'll be going to bed early tonight. We are doing a zipline course tomorrow,  so must be awake and alert in the morning. 

• Like 1

We are now on Day #6, Cozumel. I had booked a zip line excursion through Viator at 11, so we had a slow morning with breakfast at the YC dining room. I had the French toast with a side of bacon. It was fine, maybe a bit drier than expected.  The bacon was nicely crisp. Service was wonderful. 

After our ziplining fun, we wandered the port area for a bit and returned to the ship. The kids were eager to go to kids club, so we had a quick lunch at the YC pool deck. There was a veal roast that seemed unusually gristle, and today was my first disappointing curry. What a shame. 

I will say that I'm disappointed by the concierge this trip. Whereas last year on the Seaside,our concierge was passionate about making sure we got every bit of YC benefit and then some, the current concierge desk staff are much more prone to say (a polite) no to my requests. They have also failed to give important information, for example that if my husband brought his fly fishing rod off the ship, it would be confiscated upon return. (Funny aside: for whatever reason, security took away the fly rod but allowed him to keep the flies, which do have sharp parts.)

20240809_075525.jpg

• Like 1

Have you spoken to the chef regarding your food not being what you expected?   He will try to please your personal tastes if given the chance.  
also I find the YC director the one to make sure you enjoy the YC and what is offered.  
thanks for taking time to post of your experiences   

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mica178 said:

They have also failed to give important information, for example that if my husband brought his fly fishing rod off the ship, it would be confiscated upon return

One possible explanation is packed and checked luggage is not scrutinized as well as we are all lead to believe. Another is that the TSA at the port is not up to the same level as the ship's security on the ship. (MSC ships are supposed to have Mossad trained security and not as simpatico to anglers that might turn a fishing rod into a weapon of mass destruction).

P.S. Did you know that MSC also only hires emergency room trained nurses and doctors to work on their ships ?)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, mica178 said:

our concierge was passionate about making sure we got every bit of YC benefit and then some, the current concierge desk staff are much more prone to say (a polite) no to my requests.

I had the almost the same experience. We were on board and wanted to book a future cruise. We went to the concierge who knew us from a past cruise and got on the phone with the head FCC who asked what time would be convenient to meet in at the FCC desk in the Top Sail Lounge that morning. On our last cruise this July 2024, we did the same thing. Only this time there were two concierges at the desk and the one that knew me was helping someone else. The new guy said it would only be possible at the posted hours either in the TopSail or downstairs. As I was about to walk away the concierge that knew me broke away and asked me to wait while he finished with his charge. He told the new guy to get on the phone and call the head of FCC and I had my meeting within the hour in the Top Sail Lounge. After the meeting I went back to the concierge desk and tipped my guy $20 and a thank you out of sight of the new guy.

P.S. Yes I tipped the FC consultant that came $20 as well.

P.P.S. On RCCL , the cruise line has a stated policy of NO support animals allowed. Unless, of course, you are a exception when I brought this policy to the attention of the concierge in the Coastal Kitchen lounge of the dog in a baby stroller inside the restaurant. There are exceptions to every rule.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

Last day, how the time has flown. 

Last night, my son decided to eat with the kids club, and my husband decided to sleep through dinner. So my daughter and I had a girl dinner.

She had a bunch of breadsticks, the pasta in cream sauce, and chicken tenders. Apparently the ketchup served in the YC is too sweet, so our waiter went up to the grill to get Heintz ketchup. That's service!

I had the smoked salmon and the dumplings to start. The dumplings were tasty. The Norwegian smoked salmon was too fishy. I had the butter chicken as my main, and it was delicious. 

After dinner, I let my husband take the kids to the arcade, and I went to the TSL for an amaretto coffee and some chocolate. There was a lady vocalist who played the acoustic guitar in TSL, and it made for a relaxing atmosphere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mica178 said:

Apparently the ketchup served in the YC is too sweet, so our waiter went up to the grill to get Heintz ketchup.

The two ketchup varieties are quite different. I've seen and heard some interesting conversations about preferences, with intensity close to the toilet paper over or under debate. 😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

this time there were two concierges at the desk and the one that knew me was helping someone else. The new guy said it would only be possible at the posted hours either in the TopSail or downstairs. As I was about to walk away the concierge that knew me broke away and asked me to wait while he finished with his charge. He told the new guy to get on the phone and call the head of FCC and I had my meeting within the hour in the Top Sail Lounge.

This is exactly why we engage with the concierges from Day 1. When they know you, they're much more apt to make time to help no matter what other crazy things are going on with their day. We never walk by the desk without a big smile hello and often will stop to chat if they are alone. Sometimes the YC Director or Head Butler will pop out from the office behind the desk to chat as well. They like to ask about how our cruise has been -- they really want feedback while you're on the cruise so they can adjust anything if needed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

When they know you, they're much more apt to make time to help no matter what other crazy things are going on with their day.

And for those newbies that are sailing for the first time, fear not, just bring along Mr. Hamilton and Mr. Jackson. They run great offense and defense, and can turn any frown upside down.

• Haha 2

Today has been a lazy sort of day. Arrived breakfast at the YC restaurant.  Dropped the kids at Doremi kids club. Went to trivia. Picked up the kids and had the last lunch at YC restaurant.  Now waiting for afternoon tea at TSL.

For lunch, I has the Capri salad (not caprese!) And the linguini alla vongole. It wasn't bad, but the version I make at home is better. 

20240810_135311.jpg

1 hour ago, Best Cat Mom said:

The two ketchup varieties are quite different. I've seen and heard some interesting conversations about preferences, with intensity close to the toilet paper over or under debate. 😉

The version served in the restaurant is too sweet. It bothers my son and husband less, but my picky daughter can't deal with it and must have the more acidic Heintz (or Hunt's, which is what we keep at home).

Toilet paper should be over. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mica178 said:

linguini alla vongole. It wasn't bad, but the version I make at home is better. 

I am gluten free, so I can't have the "regular" pasta form. They have very limited shapes for GF and it doesn't always work with the sauce. The pasta forms are very important in the experience of the dish as a whole. And remember that it's always appropriate to ask for more sauce, if you don't like the Italian style of less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Best Cat Mom said:

I am gluten free, so I can't have the "regular" pasta form. They have very limited shapes for GF and it doesn't always work with the sauce. The pasta forms are very important in the experience of the dish as a whole. And remember that it's always appropriate to ask for more sauce, if you don't like the Italian style of less.

I like the Italian style. I have spent the last decade perfecting a handful of very traditional Italian dishes, done in the traditional style. I thought the YC clam sauce was fishier than is my preference. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

One possible explanation is packed and checked luggage is not scrutinized as well as we are all lead to believe. Another is that the TSA at the port is not up to the same level as the ship's security on the ship. (MSC ships are supposed to have Mossad trained security and not as simpatico to anglers that might turn a fishing rod into a weapon of mass destruction).

P.S. Did you know that MSC also only hires emergency room trained nurses and doctors to work on their ships ?)

I can confirm the difference in screening personnel.  On our last cruise, screening personnel at the POM were a private company.  The were not very diligent.  At the cruise ports of call, screening was performed as you entered the ship by MSC personnel.  They were much, much more thorough. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I had the almost the same experience. We were on board and wanted to book a future cruise. We went to the concierge who knew us from a past cruise and got on the phone with the head FCC who asked what time would be convenient to meet in at the FCC desk in the Top Sail Lounge that morning. On our last cruise this July 2024, we did the same thing. Only this time there were two concierges at the desk and the one that knew me was helping someone else. The new guy said it would only be possible at the posted hours either in the TopSail or downstairs. As I was about to walk away the concierge that knew me broke away and asked me to wait while he finished with his charge. He told the new guy to get on the phone and call the head of FCC and I had my meeting within the hour in the Top Sail Lounge. After the meeting I went back to the concierge desk and tipped my guy $20 and a thank you out of sight of the new guy.

P.S. Yes I tipped the FC consultant that came $20 as well.

P.P.S. On RCCL , the cruise line has a stated policy of NO support animals allowed. Unless, of course, you are a exception when I brought this policy to the attention of the concierge in the Coastal Kitchen lounge of the dog in a baby stroller inside the restaurant. There are exceptions to every rule.

Had a very similar experience booking a future cruise on our most recent sailing.  The FCC geared us by name for the rest of the cruise.  

6 hours ago, mica178 said:

Apparently the ketchup served in the YC is too sweet, so our waiter went up to the grill to get Heintz ketchup.

I agree.  Had the same issue with the ketchup on Divina.  They brought me a small bottle of Heinz .. much better.  

Now if they would only fix the cocktail sauce that comes with the shrimp cocktail.  There seems to be a distinct lack of horseradish in it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mica178 said:

daughter can't deal with it and must have the more acidic Heintz (or Hunt's, which is what we keep at home).

Your daughter might be on to something more in regards to the two brands of ketchup. I discovered early in my life that Heinz made me lethargic shortly after consuming it, where Hunt's did not. Low and behold Heinz contains a form of MSG to which I found I am , let's say hypersensitive. Found that Lipton's ice tea mix also has a form that is mood altering to the depressive. Many times one's mood swings can be attributed to the flavor enhancers in popular food stuffs.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mica178 said:

Toilet paper should be over.

There's a reason. "AI Overview  According to health experts, toilet paper should be hung "over" the dispenser, not "under". Hanging toilet paper over can help reduce the risk of spreading germs and make it easier to grab:

Fewer germ exchanges

When toilet paper is hung over, your fingers are less likely to touch the wall or cabinet, which can be contaminated with germs. This reduces the chance of spreading bacteria from the wall to your hands, and then from your hands to the toilet paper."
Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

if they would only fix the cocktail sauce that comes with the shrimp cocktail.  There seems to be a distinct lack of horseradish in it.

Europeans use Marie Rose sauce, which is very similar to Thousand Island Dressing (there are a few variations, which is why I say similar and not "the same"). If you ask specifically for ground horseradish and ketchup and mix it yourself, you should be all set. We make our own at home and friends always ask me for the recipe. "Heinz and horse" -- lots and lots of horse -- is our secret. 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Europeans use Marie Rose sauce

Yes, we first experienced that on Divina and I asked for horseradish, not horseradish sauce, on the side. 

I do the same with the cocktail sauce on RCCL and Celebrity.  Even though there is a more traditional sauce, it still does not have a kick I like.  

• Like 1