Galveston

Remember, HAL decreased the size of their fleet during Covid, and no current plans to increase it in the near future.

Galveston has some serious fog issues in the winter time, when HAL is in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

I know MSC is going to construct a new terminal next year and become a permanent resident. I believe Carnival has 2 ships working now from Galveston. Have not heard anything about HAL.

The place is growing with RCI and their latest expansion.

Princess and NCL tried a few years ago to operate out of the terminal up the bay and the problems with fog knocked that out in fairly short order.

Would love to see some HAL presence within driving distance for us.

• Like 4

MSC begins sailing from Galveston with 7 Night cruises November 9, 2025 aboard the MSC Seascape. I have sailed on the sister ship, MSC Seashore, and really enjoyed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, Galveston has fog issues, but w/it being a drivable port for me, I would love to see HAL add it, but know that won't happen.

I've sailed both Carnival and Princess from Galveston and may likely add MSC.

• Like 1

The port in Houston had the main issues with fog because they had to navigate thru the channel.  Not nearly the issue in Galveston.   It does happen but not often at all.  I really enjoy MSC YC and we are planning a Christmas cruise in 2025.  But if Holland ever decided to cruise from Galveston, we would sign up asap.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t understand why the fog issue is cited.  Fog is an issue in many places in the world. 

That is true.  We had a problem with fog in Tampa and the ship couldn't leave port until the following noon.  We missed Key West because of it.

But once I babysat for DD and her husband while they cruised to and from Galveston.  Their Princess ship was not able to get into Galveston on time and the cruise had to be extended a day.  The people on the next cruise lost a day of their cruise.  DD had to make 3 different changes to their flights.  And I needed to get home to my home state to get ready for my cruise the following weekend. She and her DH were supposed to be at work and didn't get back in time. It was a mess.  🙁

• Like 1

I live 3 hours away driving to Galveston. Adding this as an embarkation port would not excite me. All you can do in 7 days from Galveston are the boring western Carribean Mexico cruises, this market is so overcrowded as it is now.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I live 3 hours away driving to Galveston. Adding this as an embarkation port would not excite me. All you can do in 7 days from Galveston are the boring western Carribean Mexico cruises, this market is so overcrowded as it is now.

I agree. This is not the direction Holland America is going. The market for the 7 day Caribbean loops also wants bigger flashier ships and that’s not what they offer. 

• Like 1

Is there a person / department at HAL’s corporate office to address sailing out of Galveston?

HAL doesn't need to do the usual 7-day cruise - They could do some longer cruises to unique ports.  Try it for a season, like Princess is doing.  

I talk about cruising a lot.  I always mention that we cruise on Holland America.   Most people ask what cruise line that is??  HAL could bring their brand to Galveston and pick up some new cruisers.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, BlackJack2 said:

Is there a person / department at HAL’s corporate office to address sailing out of Galveston?

HAL doesn't need to do the usual 7-day cruise - They could do some longer cruises to unique ports.  Try it for a season, like Princess is doing.  

I talk about cruising a lot.  I always mention that we cruise on Holland America.   Most people ask what cruise line that is??  HAL could bring their brand to Galveston and pick up some new cruisers.  

I agree. South America, the Panama Canal (and beyond) and even transatlantic cruises could happen.  Texas is booming and I see no reason not to try to tap the market. If not Galveston then somewhere on the Gulf coast. Call me tired of flying to Florida😫 😭 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We are definitely excited about MSC opening in Galveston. We are not enjoying having to go to FLL to cruise anymore.  I just changed 2 of my cruises from FLL to Galveston.  The terminal has improved greatly and it is soooo much cheaper for hotels south of Houston.  Parking is a breeze. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shiner6 said:

We are definitely excited about MSC opening in Galveston. We are not enjoying having to go to FLL to cruise anymore.  I just changed 2 of my cruises from FLL to Galveston.  The terminal has improved greatly and it is soooo much cheaper for hotels south of Houston.  Parking is a breeze. 

Have to agree with you there.  Cheap hotel rooms, cheap parking.  I just wish it was closer to Arizona.  We do drive in there about every two years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shiner6 said:

However, MSC like most of the other Galveston based cruise ships will be doing the same boring tired and super crowded 7-day Western Caribbean itineraries. How many times can one visit Cozumel and Belize? We prefer to fly to more exciting cruising destinations for our future cruises. We don't cruise to just be on a floating hotel, we want to explore new and exciting ports that we have not been to before. Post Covid we have done only two Carribean cruises and 10 others that included Europe, California and Australia/NZ. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2024 at 8:19 AM, terrydtx said:

boring western Carribean Mexico cruises

We too have had enough of the Cozumel, Playa...., maybe Key West (roll dice) and Cayman Circle.  Eastern and Southern Caribbean much more appealing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CNSJ said:

We too have had enough of the Cozumel, Playa...., maybe Key West (roll dice) and Cayman Circle.  Eastern and Southern Caribbean much more appealing.

Totally agree! So much so, that we are now looking at some road trips instead of cruising!  I never thought I would do this, however, we just returned from a wonderful trip to the Northern states with extended family.