Queen Elizabeth aft or mid aft cabin

Megabear2

I am currently looking to choose a Queen Elizabeth balcony cabin for Alaska September2025.  I had been intending to book some time back in a solo but my SIL is thinking about joining me so now it will be a double.

Questions 

1. As my SIL is dithering I am thinking of booking as solo in the cabin to ensure I'm onboard.  If she chooses to come along I'd ask to add her to the booking.  I assume this would be able to be done at the price on the day of my original booking, is that correct? 

2. Currently lowest entry grade clear balcony deck 4 is £3298 for two people (not including flights) with  $520 OBC.   Single occupancy is £2833 with $260 obc.  If I added my SIL t a later date would the OBC adjust to offer her some credit and if so would it be at the date I booked, ie another $260 or would it be whatever the amount was on the day of her booking on?

3. I am being recommended aft cabins by both Cunard and a travel agent. All of my previous Queen Elizabeth cruises were made accompanying my mother who was disabled so I have only ever been in an adapted cabin - even my one cruise on her with my husband was in the adapted cabin as it was one my mother had booked prior to her passing and Cunard left us in the booked room as no one else asked to book it.  That trip was in June 2017 so some time ago.

The decks on offer are 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 in aft cabins.  I have also looked at mid aft cabins on the website myself and have noted on decks 7, 6 and 5 it is possible to have one of the cabins on the curve/bump. A "bump " cabin for example 7119 is  £3271 for one and £3798 for two - same OBC.  Obviously they are slightly more expensive but are they worth it or that much better?  I will be celebrating my 70th birthday whilst onboard so quite keen to make the right choice.

I have decided to book before 2 September as the offers appear quite favourable at the moment. Any help or advice, particularly on cabin choice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My choice in Britannia grade would be one on the hump with a larger curved balcony. Normally your view would be just forward unless you look over the rail, whereas there would be a much greater vista from a curved balcony which would be wonderful in Alaska. Also more room inside because of their shape.
Unless you are very prone to seasickness I don’t think you will find much difference between mid and aft cabins.

Book soon and have a terrific voyage!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Regarding motion sickness during an Alaska cruise, the only time you’ll be in open ocean will be coming back from Alaska to Seattle (starting next year). The rest of the time you’ll be on the usually smooth waters of the Inside Passage and moving at a slower speed. With that in mind, I’d be open to other areas of the ship. 
Those bump cabins will give you better views of amazing scenery in return for less privacy. From our 7th deck Q4, we could see those hanging out in their bump balcony. There are better things to see though while cruising in Alaska but this lack of privacy is something to know if you want more outside privacy. Facing forward would be a great advantage though during glacier and fjord watching and that may offset any negatives. 
Adding that one can only see those on a bump balcony if you’re peering forward or backwards from your own balcony, not while sitting on a non-bump balcony. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

For question 2, whether to book single or not, as you will know better than most the nature of dynamic pricing and whether OBC will be offered. One approach would be to lock in the price by booking SIL anyway, since the delta isn't that large, if you think there is a better than 50% chance she will go along with this.  If nothing else, it caps your joint expenditure. If she doesn't show up for check-in then there are no consequences (and you don't get her OBC).

I've had a hump balcony (is that the new official term?) and the view is much better from it, since if taking a photo, for example, you will have a much wider panorama and less of the other balconies in the photo. You will be almost be able to see around the back of the ship, and in somewhere like Alaska that will be a certain benefit. Whether it's worth it is something only you can answer, someone else will say "oh if the scenery is that good then we will pop down to Deck 3 or Deck 10 and get an even better view". And a view that I know at least one other person in this board will have is that if you keep the spending down you may save enough money to celebrate your 71st birthday. Or 70.5 birthday.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

And a view that I know at least one other person in this board will have is that if you keep the spending down you may save enough money to celebrate your 71st birthday. Or 70.5 birthday.

If it was definitely me alone and a different itinerary I might well be thinking the same, however I don't think an inside saver will cut the mustard for this one although the price is very tempting. My husband and I are on the 21 night QM2 transatlantic via Norway/Iceland arriving back a couple of weeks before this sailing so I'm sure he would be very pleased for me to take the cheapest option as he's paying for it as my birthday present!

• Like 1

I would book for the two of you to lock in the price and OBC Last year I booked a 3 berth cabin for myself and 2 daughters on QM2. Sometime later they decided their partners wanted to come so needed to book 2 extra cabins Cunard  just repriced the original cabin as a solo and I just had to pay the balance when due which wasn’t as much  as I had paid a bigger initial deposit thinking it was for 3. No financial loss or dramas.  

• Thanks 1

A few years ago we had stateroom 4146 on a Alaska cruise.  The view forward was blocked by a lifeboat.  I'm not complaining because it was a complimentary upgrade and I knew what to expect.  The stateroom was longer on one side than the other which gave more space inside and on the balcony.  If I book this type again I would want a higher deck for the view, although the balcony will be smaller than those on Deck 4.

Although we are not discussing Princess Grill, this is something to consider. We booked stateroom 5089 which offered excellent views from the balcony.  Because of the curve on the balcony, it was the tiniest balcony we have ever had.  It was difficult opening the door unless the chairs were placed carefully.

• Thanks 1

I'm almost scared to jinx this or ask, but is there anything wrong with Britannia Club balconies around midforward 8034 to 8050 or 8043 to 8059? Seemingly I can book one of these solo for £3256 or £3798 for 2 which is the same as the "hump" normal balcony.

Screenshot_20240811-184023_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240811-184003_Samsung Internet.jpg

4 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

It's worth checking what's above Britannia Club cabins, they can be noisy if under the pool.

Thank you. That may be the catch then.  A midships cabin 8068 is £4603 which is much more in line with what I expected.  

I guess it's a case of how noisey, we are both very early risers so nighttime would be more of a worry.  I assume it would be setting up in the morning if it's the pool area, but then again how much use does the pool get on a September Alaska cruise?

But the deck 7 one should be OK? And the 8034 stateroom is under the bar area, a bar which closes at 9pm (as does the Pavilion facility as a whole). Note the laundry too!

• Thanks 1

Well I'm booked!! Hopefully I've chosen wisely.  I have a friend who is a travel counsellor and ended up using her for a package as the deal seemed quite good. Fingers crossed I've done the right thing!

My package is a Cunard package bundled with a full ATOL certificate, hopefully like Victoria2 uses. I have used this friend previously for something similar.

I have a direct flight, 3 nights in a downtown 4* hotel at Pike Place, transfers and my deck 7 cabin for £4,703.00 plus my Cunard OBC and $100 extra from the agent.  I'm going alone at this stage as my SIL is still dithering.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.  Now to think about excursions... ideas gladly received!!

• Like 7

Excellent news  Megabear2 . We have a few Alaska cruises under our belts [Van/Van x2 and Van/Anchorage] and loved evert minute of them.

I think you're wise to go for the Cunard package especially as a solo. It takes any even slight worry out of the mix.

Now enjoy the planning going forward. I have no idea what the excursions Cunard offer but kayaking in the Tongass was pretty special as was the flight from Skagway back to Juneau after our train into the Yukon trip.

In Seattle, we loved the  EMP which I think is now called Museum of Pop Culture and if you can get tickets to see the Chihuly Glass Garden which is next to the Space Needle, that's one of your days sorted. Unfortunately, the Glass Garden opened after our last visit to Seattle but we've been to the museum in St Petes Florida. Totally breathtaking.

• Thanks 1

@Megabear2 Welcome to Seattle, almost…soon. Are you staying at the Inn At The Market, or the 4 Seasons? What do you like to eat? There are lots of possibilities since you’re staying at the market. September is one of the nicest months of the year in Seattle. Lots of blue sky and moderate temperatures with little rain. The mountain will be out. Have fun planning and I’m happy to answer any questions.

1 hour ago, techteach said:

@Megabear2 Welcome to Seattle, almost…soon. Are you staying at the Inn At The Market, or the 4 Seasons? What do you like to eat? There are lots of possibilities since you’re staying at the market. September is one of the nicest months of the year in Seattle. Lots of blue sky and moderate temperatures with little rain. The mountain will be out. Have fun planning and I’m happy to answer any questions.

I'm at the Inn At The Market.  My big food love is fish, particularly shellfish I also love Italian food, not so keen on red meat though I like a really good steak in moderation! 

I love tall buildings with observation towers, decks and scenic restaurants and also museums and modern art galleries. Been following with huge interest the debate on Queen Anne's art as I rather liked it.  Any suggestions much appreciated.

While I'm in Seattle I'd love to do something at the opera or theatre.  Is this open to visitors or only for season ticket holders?

Also I understand there are a variety of sport venues, are any of them likely to be having events in September? I'm not sure of your sports seasons so no idea which might be playing while I'm in town. I do love a good baseball, football or soccer game.

I've just been able to log in to My Cunard and the excursions are already on sale and some are sold out too which was a shock.  I've managed to get the 9.00am White Pass Railway and now I'm panicking about what to book next! A lot of the walking tours are already sold out.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm at the Inn At The Market.  My big food love is fish, particularly shellfish I also love Italian food, not so keen on red meat though I like a really good steak in moderation! 

I love tall buildings with observation towers, decks and scenic restaurants and also museums and modern art galleries. Been following with huge interest the debate on Queen Anne's art as I rather liked it.  Any suggestions much appreciated.

While I'm in Seattle I'd love to do something at the opera or theatre.  Is this open to visitors or only for season ticket holders?

Also I understand there are a variety of sport venues, are any of them likely to be having events in September? I'm not sure of your sports seasons so no idea which might be playing while I'm in town. I do love a good baseball, football or soccer game.

I've just been able to log in to My Cunard and the excursions are already on sale and some are sold out too which was a shock.  I've managed to get the 9.00am White Pass Railway and now I'm panicking about what to book next! A lot of the walking tours are already sold out.

The Ketchikan lumberjack show is authentically corny and tons of fun. I’d couple that with the Dungeness crab feast. 
Whale watching in Juneau was a winner too. That’s taking a bus to a separate expedition boat. All very comfortable and easy to do. 

• Thanks 1

Megabear, are you going to be on the September 10 Alaska cruise? 
We have booked the White Pass luxury car in Skagway. It is expensive but what we have been told is that it is well worth it.
I believe that David from Mississauga might have taken this in the past. 
We have taken the regular ride and found it to be very good, but fairly uncomfortable. 
Evana

5 minutes ago, bananavan said:

Megabear, are you going to be on the September 10 Alaska cruise? 
We have booked the White Pass luxury car in Skagway. It is expensive but what we have been told is that it is well worth it.
I believe that David from Mississauga might have taken this in the past. 
We have taken the regular ride and found it to be very good, but fairly uncomfortable. 
Evana

Hi Evana,  thanks for the info.  No, I am not on that cruise as I'm going on 8 September 2025.  I currently have the ordinary car booked but did look at the luxury option.

To be truthful I had a panic when I saw things already sold out so just wanted to hold my must do trip.  I'm now debating Juneau!  I really want to do the float plane - only place offering it - but I'm told best whale watching.  Currently I'm considering booking the two, Whale & Wildlife at 10.30 for 4 hours and the plane at 3.30pm. The system seems to say okay but I need to look into the logistics of where the whale watching comes back to.  

This is all rather surreal at present as I'm organising this before the four cruises I'm taking in front of this one just to make sure I get my tours booked. At the moment I'm on my own so ship excursions seem the safest bet. 

Still the planning is half the fun.  Monday week we are off for 16 nights in Scandinavia on P&O's Aurora which will be a first but all the family chose it so we are joining them, but strangely I've only booked one thing for that and will do the rest by ear so to speak! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Hi Evana,  thanks for the info.  No, I am not on that cruise as I'm going on 8 September 2025.  I currently have the ordinary car booked but did look at the luxury option.

To be truthful I had a panic when I saw things already sold out so just wanted to hold my must do trip.  I'm now debating Juneau!  I really want to do the float plane - only place offering it - but I'm told best whale watching.  Currently I'm considering booking the two, Whale & Wildlife at 10.30 for 4 hours and the plane at 3.30pm. The system seems to say okay but I need to look into the logistics of where the whale watching comes back to.  

This is all rather surreal at present as I'm organising this before the four cruises I'm taking in front of this one just to make sure I get my tours booked. At the moment I'm on my own so ship excursions seem the safest bet. 

Still the planning is half the fun.  Monday week we are off for 16 nights in Scandinavia on P&O's Aurora which will be a first but all the family chose it so we are joining them, but strangely I've only booked one thing for that and will do the rest by ear so to speak! 

I misspoke. We are also on the September 8, 2025. 
I have some information on whale watching that a friend took earlier this summer. 
I am running out the door at the moment. but will certainly get back to you. 
Taking a plane in Alaska is an amazing experience. We were fortunate that we took one in Talkeetna twelve years ago. We landed on a glacier. IT is the tour that my husband thinks is the best that I have ever found. 
Speak soon. 
Edited to add. 
Book the excursions that you dont want to miss out on. You can always cancel if something better comes along. 

Edited by bananavan
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

The Inn is a great location right in the heart of the market. If you like real French Omelettes go downstairs to Campagne. September is nearing the end of Dungeness crab season, but that is what we’re known for. Walk down to the waterfront and just about any place will have good seafood. There are a lot to choose from with lots of price points. Anthony’s is upscale, Aqua at the far end is even more upscale. Ivar’s has an oyster bar and the crab pot has great outdoor dining on the wharf.

I haven’t been up it, but the Smith Tower has an observation level with a bar and has a great history. Our local art gallery, the SAM, is at the end of the market across from the 4 Seasons. I think it’s closed on Monday and Tuesday and as a member I guess I should know that! The majority of the real art galleries are south of downtown near T-Mobile Park.

Our Symphony is a Benaroya Hall, 2 blocks from the market, but Sept. 8 would be too early, that is probably opening night. Opera might be swing. You would walk up town to the Monorail and ride it to Seattle Center. 

Our local baseball team, the Mariner’s would probably have tickets available and it is a great park. You could walk to Benaroya Hall and take the rail line to the stadiums. Football. Sept. 8 would be a season opener and tickets probably won’t be available or $$$.

The first thing I did when we booked our June, 2025, Alaska cruise was book the train. I decided to “go big or go home” so I booked the first class car. I didn’t think my back could handle that many hours on a hard bench.

Whale watching can be done from places other than Juneau and can be booked through TripAdvisor. I would NOT book a plane excursion unless it is through Cunard.

How many days will be you here prior to embarkation?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, techteach said:

The Inn is a great location right in the heart of the market. If you like real French Omelettes go downstairs to Campagne. September is nearing the end of Dungeness crab season, but that is what we’re known for. Walk down to the waterfront and just about any place will have good seafood. There are a lot to choose from with lots of price points. Anthony’s is upscale, Aqua at the far end is even more upscale. Ivar’s has an oyster bar and the crab pot has great outdoor dining on the wharf.

I haven’t been up it, but the Smith Tower has an observation level with a bar and has a great history. Our local art gallery, the SAM, is at the end of the market across from the 4 Seasons. I think it’s closed on Monday and Tuesday and as a member I guess I should know that! The majority of the real art galleries are south of downtown near T-Mobile Park.

Our Symphony is a Benaroya Hall, 2 blocks from the market, but Sept. 8 would be too early, that is probably opening night. Opera might be swing. You would walk up town to the Monorail and ride it to Seattle Center. 

Our local baseball team, the Mariner’s would probably have tickets available and it is a great park. You could walk to Benaroya Hall and take the rail line to the stadiums. Football. Sept. 8 would be a season opener and tickets probably won’t be available or $$$.

The first thing I did when we booked our June, 2025, Alaska cruise was book the train. I decided to “go big or go home” so I booked the first class car. I didn’t think my back could handle that many hours on a hard bench.

Whale watching can be done from places other than Juneau and can be booked through TripAdvisor. I would NOT book a plane excursion unless it is through Cunard.

How many days will be you here prior to embarkation?

Thank you for so much help and information. I am in Seattle for four days although only three are full ones.  Fly on 4th arrive that day.  I do not have flight times yet as they obviously aren't released until next month.  Will be BA direct arriving around midday apparently.  Although my holiday price includes a transfer quoted I'm being advised it's pricey so to look at maybe a taxi or Uber as it may be better, take taxi or Uber to the port and hopefully book a Cunard airport transfer.  This will save around £500 - I could upgrade the train without guilt then!

Re the plane Cunard offer two (see below). I was going to take one of those but reading up on the Alaska forum I got the impression I should go for the whales in Juneau as they are pretty much guaranteed ($100 refund if none show sounded pretty definite).

"Taku Lodge Feast & 5-Glacier Seaplane Discovery

This tour offers ultimate combination of quintessential Alaskan experiences.

Soar by floatplane over lush rainforest, tumbling waterfalls, snow-capped mountains and the deep crevasses and azure meltwater pools of no fewer than five mighty glaciers. You’re guaranteed a window seat for a perfect view.

Then, settle in to the remote Taku Glacier Lodge, untouched by time, only accessible by floatplane and within sight of the Hole-in-the-Wall Glacier. Here, feast on wild Alaskan salmon, learn about the hunters and fur trappers from a century ago, or explore forest trails on the lookout for wildlife, including black bears.

The home cooked meal is accompanied with iced tea, lemonade and water, all chilled with actual glacier ice!" $458.10

Or

"Five Glacier Seaplane Exploration

Only 6 places available for this experience. Book now to avoid disappointment.

Take to the skies for an extraordinary perspective over Alaska’s immense natural beauty.

This exhilarating adventure will begin as your aircraft gently takes off from the historic downtown Juneau waterfront.

You’ll pass through the Juneau Valley to soar over cascading waterfalls and lush rainforest. Reaching the vast Juneau Icefield by air, you’ll appreciate the scale of this 1,500-square-mile expanse of solid ice. The jaw-dropping experience carries you over deep crevasses and azure meltwater pools of the Norris, Hole-in-the-Wall, East and West Twin glaciers, and the famous five-mile-wide Taku Glacier.

You’re guaranteed a window seat to capture the scene on camera and keep an eye out for possible wildlife sightings, including goats and eagles." $312.30

Assuming I do the plane here which port should I look at to do independently? Incidentally I have quite a large reward pending on another site following my just completed land based Italian trip in the Sorrento area so could look there for whales if I can get a clue what I'm looking at.

These Dungeness crab are getting a lot of shout outs so I will definitely try to find some.  Incidentally Dungeness has different connotations for me being the home of a nuclear power station which is defuelling despite being in the middle of a nature reserve! Hopefully your crab will not glow on my plate!

I'll have a look into Smith Tower, the baseball and the opera. Thanks for the ideas. I also want to do the obvious "tourist" trip for the Space Needle - more tall buildings to stare at.

I'm beginning to feel like a kid in the sweet shop on this one, so much choice!

• Like 1

We have been lucky enough to take a couple of sea plane flights. One over and back to Vancouver Island and the other from Vancouver Island and back to a remote bear watching lodge on the N.W, Pacific coast for a three night stay.

If I had my choice for a one off and having stayed at a remote lodge accessible only by seaplane or boat, I'd take the Taku Lodge Fest excursion and I'd book it now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you for so much help and information. I am in Seattle for four days although only three are full ones.  Fly on 4th arrive that day.  I do not have flight times yet as they obviously aren't released until next month.  Will be BA direct arriving around midday apparently.  Although my holiday price includes a transfer quoted I'm being advised it's pricey so to look at maybe a taxi or Uber as it may be better, take taxi or Uber to the port and hopefully book a Cunard airport transfer.  This will save around £500 - I could upgrade the train without guilt then!

BA's flight times are indeed released at 355 days, but they won't change much since SEA is right on the edge of some restrictions on flight times and crew hours. If they change it too much they have to add extra crew and that costs money. So there will likely be a 11:30 and 18:00 hrs options for arrival into SEA-TAC, as the airport is called, so long as they continue with 2 flights a day.

Seattle is one of the few big airports in the USA with fully sensible public transport, so your fastest and cheapest route to Pine Street is going to be on the Sound Transit service to Westlake, around 35 minutes. $3 (there is a reduced fare for those over 65 years old but they make it tricky for non residents to get that). It's 400 metres downhill from the station to the hotel, so I guess it depends on your luggage there.

Uber will be about $50 to $60 SEA-TAC to Pine Street, and Cruise Terminal to airport is nearer $65. Hotel to Cruise Terminal around $20, maybe a bit less.

Take comfortable shoes for exploring Seattle, it's surprisingly hilly!

• Thanks 1