Confused About Luggage on Land Portion of Denali & Yukon Land & Sea Tour

Posted (edited)

We are doing the 8 day land portion after the cruise part of our trip.  (May 2025)   I have read the "information and rules" on the HAL website, but I am still confused, and hope someone can please clarify some things?    My husband and I will each have one medium size suitcase, and one carry-on size.

HAL says all luggage can be delivered to our hotels in Skagway, Whitehorse, Dawson City, and Fairbanks.   For the flight from Dawson to Fairbanks passengers are restricted to 2 pieces of luggage per person weighing no more than 25 lbs each.   After Fairbanks, we take a coach to Denali. (we are there two nights) HAL says they will only transfer 1 suitcase per person to Denali.

After leaving Denali we are on the train to Anchorage, stay in a hotel one night, and fly home the following day.  For the flight from Dawson to Fairbanks we will travel with one carry-on size suitcase each. (I am quite sure the medium size suitcases would be over the 25 pound weight limit)  So, what happens to our two medium size suitcases?   Since HAL only transfers ONE suitcase each to Denali I assume we won't have access to our medium size suitcases there, right?   Do they get sent on to our hotel in Anchorage? (which is the next hotel stop after Denali)  If I am reading it correctly, for the Denali portion of the trip it can BE  medium size suitcases, and HAL does say that they will deliver luggage to the Fairbanks hotel. But how would we get it since we can't have it on the plane from Dawson to Fairbanks?  Would the medium suitcases get transferred from the hotel in Whitehorse (where we stay the night before flying to Dawson) directly to the Fairbanks hotel where we stay after the flight from Dawson?   How about border crossings from Canada (Dawson City), to Fairbanks?  Does all of your luggage have to be with you then?  Obviously, I don't understand how any of this works!    We will be in Seattle, then in Vancouver for a total of one week before the HAL trip starts, and I will send laundry out while on board the ship, but we still need a total of two medium and two carry-on pieces of luggage...

Sorry if this post is so long, and it may be confusing to anyone reading it!  I know my husband just shook his head, got a sad look on his face and walked out of the room before he even finished looking at it.  Anyway, THANKS for your help.

Edited by newtocruising56
Made errors in Hotel Names

If its like this years trip you will travel on privatejets leased by HAL where luggage weight or size does not matter 

keep in mind train travel is 8-9 hours ..so plan exvursions accordingly 

expect food to be super expensive ..I was not impressed with our guide tipping was her focus ...we were given alist ...

i loved my photographyexcursion with pro ..i learned a lot from him scenery was awesome 

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.ed8a2ec3895b56b9016ff846af2851f5.png
Well I am in Denali right now on a cruisetour but we are doing the land portion first, beginning in Fairbanks. And we did not go to the Yukon or have any flights.   You have lots of time but this page from our documents may (or may not) shed a bit of light. Ship staff should give you a packet of luggage tags etc - in our case the HAL agents met us at the airport with that packet.