Vista still in port

Everyone says get travel insurance.  I do get it,  but it might not help in this case on the airfare.  Carnival cancelled a cruise on us and the insurance wouldn't cover the airfare.  They said the flight was happening and we would lose our money.  The insurance would cover $200pp.  You would think since it is all part of the same trip and one isn't needed without the other it would be covered.  But that isn't how insurance companies look at it.  They need to keep those claims down. 

Carnival did come back a couple weeks later and offer to cover $200pp for airfare changes.  But you had to pay the change fee if you booked another cruise and bring your receipt to Guest Services after you boarded. They would give it to you as an onboard credit.  They cancelled and not for a good reason.  They said they were cancelling to relocate the ship to a different home port to keep things fresh.  It was a cruise back when Carnival went out of San Juan.  Luckily for us Celebrity had a cruise at the same time so we just switched to them.  And the cost was exactly the same.  Sometimes you don't realize what is covered until you have to use it and then find out it isn't what you thought.  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 3:41 PM, jajguck said:

Thank you for the executive customer contact numbers. I contacted them early this morning and they were very prompt to handle the situation. They are going to refund me for the second b2b cruise on 9/15 also. I appreciate all of your help.

I am glad they took care of this for you.

3 hours ago, luv2trvlnow said:

Everyone says get travel insurance.  I do get it,  but it might not help in this case on the airfare.  Carnival cancelled a cruise on us and the insurance wouldn't cover the airfare.  They said the flight was happening and we would lose our money.  The insurance would cover $200pp.  You would think since it is all part of the same trip and one isn't needed without the other it would be covered.  But that isn't how insurance companies look at it.  They need to keep those claims down. 

Carnival did come back a couple weeks later and offer to cover $200pp for airfare changes.  But you had to pay the change fee if you booked another cruise and bring your receipt to Guest Services after you boarded. They would give it to you as an onboard credit.  They cancelled and not for a good reason.  They said they were cancelling to relocate the ship to a different home port to keep things fresh.  It was a cruise back when Carnival went out of San Juan.  Luckily for us Celebrity had a cruise at the same time so we just switched to them.  And the cost was exactly the same.  Sometimes you don't realize what is covered until you have to use it and then find out it isn't what you thought.  

Did you get the insurance through Carnival?  I've had cruises canceled with policies that I've booked through insuremytrip.com and they didn't question anything because it was obvious that I was flying TO the cruise and the flights were for nothing else.  

3 hours ago, luv2trvlnow said:

I accidentally got both cruise insurance and flight insurance this time. Was thinking I had made a mistake, but your post makes me think it was the right choice. 

7 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

I accidentally got both cruise insurance and flight insurance this time. Was thinking I had made a mistake, but your post makes me think it was the right choice. 

There are many options.  Another way would be using an outside travel insurance provider that covers both cruise as well as travel to get to cruise.  There are other reasons to do it that way as well, but you need to understand what they cover and what they do not.  The bottom line is there are options in coverage (Cruise or more) and variables also.  

There are really two factors in the cost of the insurance:  what they cover and the price (driven by the cost and age of the insured).  Travel Insurance is the best thing you can buy that you hope you never have to use.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, luv2trvlnow said:

I would wager the airfare would be covered...if you purchased outside travel insurance.

Edited by jimbo5544

My insurance was through Insure My Trip not Carnival.  It covered both the cruise and the airfare.  The insurance company said it would not cover the airfare since the flight was not cancelled.  This was back in 2015 and maybe something has changed.  But at that time Insure My Trip and the Insurance company said it would not cover the airfare if I cancelled the flight due to the cruise being cancelled.  I did not have cancel for any reason.   It was covered only to the extent of the change fee not the fare.  So all it would cover is the change fee for the flight.  Even if it offered a credit it wouldn't cover any additional costs.  And we didn't fly to cruises on the mainland since it costs way top much from our airport.  So a credit would probably not get used.  Even flying Southwest back then would sometimes cost $700pp to get to Fort Lauderdale.

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

There are many options.  Another way would be using an outside travel insurance provider that covers both cruise as well as travel to get to cruise.  There are other reasons to do it that way as well, but you need to understand what they cover and what they do not.  The bottom line is there are options in coverage (Cruise or more) and variables also.  

There are really two factors in the cost of the insurance:  what they cover and the price (driven by the cost and age of the insured).  Travel Insurance is the best thing you can buy that you hope you never have to use.

I didn't even know that you could get outside coverage until after I'd booked this time.  Will do some research before next cruise. 

In your opinion, how does the Carnival insurance stand up to comparably priced outside insurance?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DeniseTr said:

I didn't even know that you could get outside coverage until after I'd booked this time.  Will do some research before next cruise. 

In your opinion, how does the Carnival insurance stand up to comparably priced outside insurance?

It doesn't. You can get better coverage for a lot less money if you do a little research. Insuremytrip is a good start. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

If it is just for the cruise, the answer is it depends.  If it is for cruise plus air and hotel, probably outside, Carnival insurance (medical and weather for cruise portion only) cannot cover these, you would need two policies). It can get complicated with some of the variables, like cancel for any reason, pre existing conditions, and more.  As previously mentioned, the variables are the key, Fairly easy to answer with specifics, once you know what you want (coverage wise).  It comes down to age and amount of coverage, which determines a rate.  

To put it all in perspective, I will reference a couple of clients  we had (land trip) one that was traveling to T & C.  Second morning, felt ill and had to be air evacuated to FLL.  Almost a 100K.  Second case was land trip to Riviera Maya, got sick and was in hospital for 7 days (long stay).  Had to prepay (on their CC in advance).  15K per day prepay in Intensive care, 10K for regular room.  Their insurance covered (after the fact, reimbursed).

5 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

It doesn't. You can get better coverage for a lot less money if you do a little research. Insuremytrip is a good start. 😎

Good place to start, there are at least a half dozen good ones.

On 9/3/2024 at 10:12 AM, Jamman54 said:

Off topic but are all the companies provided from Insuremytrip reliable? Do you have any favorites or must haves?? Helicopter coverage seems important. 😐

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

Off topic but are all the companies provided from Insuremytrip reliable? Do you have any favorites or must haves?? Helicopter coverage seems important. 😐

We had 2 CG helicopter evacs and 1 boat evac on our Greenland cruise'

53 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

We had 2 CG helicopter evacs and 1 boat evac on our Greenland cruise'

Yeah I guess I sounded sarcastic but I meant its the most important. I would want insurance for catastrophic things I could never afford. Not really as much for lost luggage or $1000 dental coverage. Lol. That $25,000 helicopter ride is the difference between life and death. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

Yeah I guess I sounded sarcastic but I meant its the most important. I would want insurance for catastrophic things I could never afford. Not really as much for lost luggage or $1000 dental coverage. Lol. That $25,000 helicopter ride is the difference between life and death. 

Stuff happens, CC is filled with stories of people questioning things after the fact and had not purchased insurance.

Some years ago here, there was a very regular poster who used to do reviews one all his cruises.  He was doing one on a cruise from New York and the CG ended up taking him off the ship by Helicopter.  He never returned here and someone posted a pic on his review (think all of it was pre cruise) of him being airlifted off.  Beyond weird. 

46 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Stuff happens, CC is filled with stories of people questioning things after the fact and had not purchased insurance.

Some years ago here, there was a very regular poster who used to do reviews one all his cruises.  He was doing one on a cruise from New York and the CG ended up taking him off the ship by Helicopter.  He never returned here and someone posted a pic on his review (think all of it was pre cruise) of him being airlifted off.  Beyond weird. 

That is weird! I hope he is ok. I miss some of the old folks. (GaPearl). Post officially hijacked.....LOL. Back to the OP hopefully Vista is fixed next week once and for all! I see on tik tok live she is limping along on a single screw.  I have her booked next year. Havana and I'm excited. 

• Like 2

So glad I stumbled across this post, as we have not purchased any travel insurance for our Summer 2025 sailing.  After seeing these comments, we will definitely compare separating out the cruise insurance from the airfare insurance versus all-in-one.  For certain, we will not use Generali Global as they were super frustrating to deal with in 2022, when a couple of our family members tested positive for COVID (this was back when you were required to test to board a ship).