Texting on board

Birdnutty

Hi all.  I'm sure you have all answered this question a hundred times, but my searches have yielded no clarification for me.  Call me dense...

I was on Princess many years ago, and am going again in a few weeks.  Been on a few other lines many times since then.   I am used to the straightforward way that the other cruise lines handle texting(or maybe I'm just used to it), but this Medallion thing has me stumped.

To set the stage:  I did NOT purchase the PLUS or Premier package.  We're very low maintenance -  don't drink much at all, usually check email very infrequently and don't do any streaming while on board. Perfectly content with regular dining room and buffet offerings. We have several hundred dollars worth of OBC from our TA, and figure we'll use that for our other daily expenses. 

We will be traveling with friends.  They have Samsung phones, we have Apple.  Without a purchased plan, will my hubby and I still be able to use the ship's Wi-fi for texting each other and our friends if our phones are on airplane mode?  

Thank you!

You can text each other through the Princess app at no charge. App works via ship's intranet (internal network).

If you're wanting to text via WhatsApp or via your phones text app - you'll need to buy internet access.  Particularly as you have two different platform phones... 

Some have reported being able to text via iPhone to iPhone without buying a package - but you have Android and iPhone - thus will need data access via Internet Wi-Fi package..  

Or go old school and leave notes or voice messages on room phones for each other. Or set meetup times. 

You can use the Find My Shipmate function on the app, screens by the elevators, etc without any Internet package.  App works via ship's Intranet.   

• Like 1

You “should” be able to use WhatsApp with the ships INTRAnet.  I’ve never tried it.

The problem with the chat is that it has no notification setting.  You have to manually check.  

You will not be able to use iMessage with an Android.  I heard/read that Apple is/was working on messaging between.  Don’t recall the exact usuage.

Just now, cr8tiv1 said:

You “should” be able to use WhatsApp with the ships INTRAnet.  I’ve never tried it.

The problem with the chat is that it has no notification setting.  You have to manually check.  

You will not be able to use iMessage with an Android.  I heard/read that Apple is/was working on messaging between.  Don’t recall the exact usuage.

Haven't every had WhatsApp work without Internet, as in - have not had it works via ship's intranet.  If there's a secret to it - I'm all ears...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Haven't ever had WhatsApp work without Internet, as in - have not had it works via ship's intranet.  If there's a secret to it - I'm all ears...

Nor have I.  I can only use it if I have cell service or am connected to the internet. I know the crew does use it without an internet connection, though so I think it is possible.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Haven't every had WhatsApp work without Internet, as in - have not had it works via ship's intranet.  If there's a secret to it - I'm all ears...

As you say, the WhatsApp does not work without an internet connection. The intranet service will only let you text each other using their Princess app which I consider next to useless unless things have changed lately & included an audible alert, (I'm thinking they planned it that way to increase package sales) 😉

The WhatsApp did work pretty good the times we did use it to call each other on the ship but for some reason the mic when using WhatsApp seems to pickup all the background noises as well, making it hard to communicate. 

• Like 1

I mentioned that I have never tried it myself.  Only relaying what the crew has told me.  They use WhatsApp to communicate with others off the ship without paying for INTERnet.  I did not go further than that.  A few told me that buying INTERnet on the ship is too expensive for them...but the do "call" home every night.

9 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

They use WhatsApp to communicate with others off the ship without paying for INTERnet.

Maybe they only do it in port when they can get a cell connection or connect to a free wifi run by the terminal that they are in. 

38 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Maybe they only do it in port when they can get a cell connection or connect to a free wifi run by the terminal that they are in. 

The crew I have talked with communicate daily with family members back home.  Usually after their shift and still on the ship.  

I am only relaying my conversations with them.  If I have the opportunity, I will find out more.  

I have only used the app with WiFi.  

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I mentioned that I have never tried it myself.  Only relaying what the crew has told me.  They use WhatsApp to communicate with others off the ship without paying for INTERnet.  I did not go further than that.  A few told me that buying INTERnet on the ship is too expensive for them...but the do "call" home every night.

I use WhatsApp frequently to talk & chat with family in Europe.  WhatsApp will not work without access to the internet.  That is normally going to happen using cell data or wifi. I think you mentioned elsewhere the ship may have an intranet for staff.    That would make sense to me.  

• Like 1

On 8/22/2024 at 10:03 AM, memoak said:

The app on your phones have a chat function. Just set everyone up as travel companions   One little thing there is no audible notiy

The app used to have a chat function. It does not have it anymore

2 hours ago, minnesotasisu said:

That is funny we just used it two weeks ago on the Grand both to contact guest services and to contact each other

2 hours ago, minnesotasisu said:

Just look at the bottom of the screen where it shows options and you will see a button labeled “Chat”

I have an iPhone and A T & T and in order to text my daughter every day while I’m on a cruise I purchase the $60 ( good for a month) cruise package from AT&T. It’s unlimited talk and text. Then if my husband needs to speak to a doctor ( we are old) he can use my phone. Once he broke a tooth and we were able to call the dentist and set up an appointment for the Friday before Memorial Day on the way home from the airport. Worth its weigh in Gold for us. 

2 minutes ago, jimlouisesophie said:

Are you saying that you can get notifications by using chat

No notifications but I will glance at my phone every so often. Since most of our travel group are on I phones we just use the regular texting feature on the phone which does give notifications. You can stay in airplane mode and on medallion net. No charges

10 hours ago, memoak said:

No notifications but I will glance at my phone every so often. Since most of our travel group are on I phones we just use the regular texting feature on the phone which does give notifications. You can stay in airplane mode and on medallion net. No charges

Has anyone ever offered an explanation as to why there is no notification when using their chat feature? 

On 8/21/2024 at 6:02 PM, Birdnutty said:

Hi all.  I'm sure you have all answered this question a hundred times, but my searches have yielded no clarification for me.  Call me dense...

I was on Princess many years ago, and am going again in a few weeks.  Been on a few other lines many times since then.   I am used to the straightforward way that the other cruise lines handle texting(or maybe I'm just used to it), but this Medallion thing has me stumped.

To set the stage:  I did NOT purchase the PLUS or Premier package.  We're very low maintenance -  don't drink much at all, usually check email very infrequently and don't do any streaming while on board. Perfectly content with regular dining room and buffet offerings. We have several hundred dollars worth of OBC from our TA, and figure we'll use that for our other daily expenses. 

We will be traveling with friends.  They have Samsung phones, we have Apple.  Without a purchased plan, will my hubby and I still be able to use the ship's Wi-fi for texting each other and our friends if our phones are on airplane mode?  

Thank you!

Please be aware that Princess has just upgraded their wi-Fi but you need a package to take advantage of the new wi-Fi. Are you aware the any of the packages include your gratuities, wi-fy plus drinks?

Tom😀

On 8/28/2024 at 10:10 PM, trbarton said:

Please be aware that Princess has just upgraded their wi-Fi but you need a package to take advantage of the new wi-Fi. Are you aware the any of the packages include your gratuities, wi-fy plus drinks?

Tom😀

We did not buy any package. We would just like to be able to text each other and our traveling companions on the ship. Is that still possible without an extra plan? It is on NCL, and I was hoping it would be the same. 

1 hour ago, Birdnutty said:

We did not buy any package. We would just like to be able to text each other and our traveling companions on the ship. Is that still possible without an extra plan? It is on NCL, and I was hoping it would be the same. 

You can by using the app. The only problem is that there's no notification when you receive a text so goes ignored most of the time.  

1 hour ago, Birdnutty said:

Have you gone onto the NCL board to see if it’s the same as Princess?  From experience I would not assume that everything is the same. Let us know what people say on NCL say. 

5 hours ago, trbarton said:

Have you gone onto the NCL board to see if it’s the same as Princess?  From experience I would not assume that everything is the same. Let us know what people say on NCL say. 

I was onboard the NCL Joy just a few weeks ago, which is why I got confused.  On the JOY, you could text freely on the ship wi-fi if you have an iPhone, and you could even text to the mainland.  As long as you were in airplane mode, the ship wi-fi would work.  My whole party had iPhones, so how the Android phones worked is a mystery.  I guess I'll just have to wait to be on board the Emerald in a few weeks to try out their system.  It is certainly not the end of the world if we have to go back to the ancient system of leaving handwritten notes.  LOL. 

But thanks to all of you for trying to straighten out a perplexing question for me.