How Much ! ! ! ! !

kakalina

Obviously, from the sig block, not enough :D With that said, I do have a bunch of time at sea with Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. Now that sea time adds up to about 6 years away from home port :D with stops inNorth America, South America, the Caribbean, The Panama Canal (x2), all over the Med in Europe and North Africa, all over the Baltic, the Black Sea, all in all about 35 different countries. I never regret doing that either. Made lots of friends too. It's no wonder I like going to sea, only now I have to pay for the privilege :rolleyes:

I have a good idea how much, but I'd rather have spent the money on cruises than not have had the wonderful memories we've made on them. The places we've been, the people we've met . . .

DH and I were talking the other day if something happened that we weren't able to travel anymore (dread disease or abject poverty :eek: ) we already have a myriad of memories from our cruises, while our friends who are waiting until they retire to travel might never have that opportunity. Life is short - we plan on enjoying it!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Wish we could spend more on cruising!:D

We spend money only on the cost of the basic cruise, airfare, excursions and a few shirts.

With that said we are happily spending everyone's inheritance money on cruises or land tours.

No one gave us any money. We had to earn it and so will those alive after us.

I don't even want to know. I did alot of cruising in 2004, especially. Dh referred to it as "the year of Marie", lol.

Marie

Marie just got off the O and will be taking 2 more in the next 9 months. Ahhhhh to be Marie.......just for one year. Sounds like a song..:cool:

More than I've spent on dive gear (which is a pretty fair amount), but probably a little less than what I've spent on dive trips.

With a family of 4, we've easily spent enough to buy a nice new car, but as my cousin once said, I'd rather spend money doing things than accumulating stuff.

How much have I paid on my cruises. Let's see, 17 cruises amounts to approximately - hey I think I am going to faint. I don't think I can count that high. But I can tell you that the Western Europe and New Zealand/Australia were the most expensive. Of course that is when the exchange rate was up to 58%.

I once asked for people to give us a ball-park figure for how much they average, per year, on cruising ... and got royally castigated. The responses to your question should prove interesting.

Do you figure it based upon just cruise fare? Or, do you calculate it based upon cruise + air to get there and home? Or, do you add in shipboard account expenses? How about shore excursions? How about shopping ashore? How about clothing bought to be worn on the cruise? How about TIME involved in posting on cruise critics when we can't be ON a cruise?

There's a whole bunch of expenses that could be piled into the end-total.

But ... here's what I did: I assumed $500 per person per day, reflecting cruise cost, expenses, excursions, clothing and supplies for wear on the ship, and transport to and from the ship. Others might have another figure, but that was what I came up with as an average. I then multiplied by the number of days I have on HAL.

Figuring it that way, and backing out a certain amount to reflect my chaplain service days, it actually kinda does look like something close to what I would have expected. Dividing it over 12 years, I notice that the amount for one year comes to a close order of magnitude of what I calculated I had spent last year, in actual dollar amounts, on cruising. So ... I suspect the estimate is reasonable (at least for me).

What does this tell me? It tells me that I am very blessed to have the time and the resources to spend on this luxury. It also tells me that I would have never be able to afford a wife :) ;).

We actually keep track of the big ticket items such as cruise, airfare, hotel, etc. and then figure out the per person per day costs. I know we need to get a life. :) The total figure would probably shock some and amaze others. It seems like a lot of money, and it is to us, but we do not regret it in the least. The enjoyment we receive from the cruise itself not to mention the time we spend dreaming, planning and remembering is money well spent in our minds. Possibly insane to other family members. :)

I don't keep track. I set a budget for each cruise, make sure I can afford it, and then don't think about it again. Because I am a single, working woman, I have to budget very carefully and have to miss out on some of the extras (i.e. massages, shopping sprees). I spend my budget mostly on excursions. All I know is that every penny spent on cruising has been worth it. Nobody will ever take away the memories of fabulous places seen and wonderful people I've met. Also, it is a continuing education. BEfore I go anywhere, I love to do research. I am constantly learning about new places, new cultures and always realizing how lucky I am compared to some other people. The things I have learned from other people I met on cruises is the kind of education you cannot learn from books. One of things I love about HAL is that most of the passengers are older than me and have seen a lot of more places than I have. I get great ideas from them. I WORK SO I CAN CRUISE!

No cruise this year - next year: 30-day Hawaii/Tahiti. What an adventure that will be.

ONLY IN AMERICA

Where are you from?

What do you do?

How much you make?

How much you spend?

NOYB

No, not only in America... 3 out of 4 of those questions were asked of me by a Canadian citizen... Poor manners do not respect international boundaries.

Archived