Enchanted Princess Day 3 Bar Harbor…..Pea Soup Anyone?

Lady Arwen

Woke up to 60 deg. temps and total fog coverage.  You cannot see anything outside except grey.  Shuttles have been suspended for most of the morning, but now one is attempting the journey.  The sun is trying to break through in spots, but just barely a hint.  Hopefully, those who have excursions will be able to go at some point.  Announcement just now another tender is going out.  Slow process this morning.

We dined in the CG last night and nothing to report.  Food is good and the service as lovely, as always.  I don’t eat meat and I wasn’t that hungry, so I just ate the sides,   and a couple double pours of Whispering Angel.   My DH had the fish with sides.  We’re back the last night.

Had breakfast at the IC (too late for the MDR).  Delicious latte with a very stale croissant.  My DH had a blueberry danish that was also not fresh.  What is up with that?

Back at The Catch tonight.  Walked through the buffet this morning.  No words, except “no thanks”.  Will try Gigi’s for lunch.

I’m writing this from our cabana and there is nobody else here but us.  Tomorrow will be in St. John, back home in Canada and going with the boys next door.  Hopefully, the weather will cooperate.

Having a very good time, so far!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Ingrid, you should consider changing your title to "Live from the Enchanted" that way folks can follow along on your journey in one thread. 🤷‍♂️

Rafael

Edited by LACruiser88
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Ingrid, you should consider changing your title to "Live from the Enchanted" that way folks can follow along on your journey in one thread. 🤷‍♂️

Rafael

I’m just not good at commitment, lol.  If I start that,  then I’d feel bad when I forgot about it.  This way, if I show up, those who want to will read my post and if I forget, nobody will care.  Thank you for your suggestion, Rafael.

Ingrid

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just to update the tender situation.  At noon all non Princess excursion ticket holders were suspended and only guests with Princess excursions were being tendered, until further notice.

As I was typing, an announcement for those with higher ticket numbers with no excursions booked would be tendering soon.  Sun is bright and no fog, but they are backed up because of this mornings ongoing issues.  I doubt if anyone was able to get an excursion this late in the day.

Ate lunch at Gigi’s and it was very good.  I had a strawberry margarita (okay, fine, I had two).  David had two beers to go along with his tuna bread cheese thingy.  I had pizza and I couldn’t get through half.  I felt so bad.

Cheers, til next time!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Woke up to 60 deg. temps and total fog coverage.  You cannot see anything outside except grey.

I didn't realize Bar Harbor was allowing cruise ships to stop, again. Great port stop. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, doghog said:

I didn't realize Bar Harbor was allowing cruise ships to stop, again. Great port stop. 

Yes, it’s great if you can make it off the ship.  Lots of disappointment today.  The view is very pretty, once the fog lifted.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

Yes, it’s great if you can make it off the ship.  Lots of disappointment today.  The view is very pretty, once the fog lifted.

So is Bar Harbor now allowing cruise ships to stop like in the past or limited to certain times of the year? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, doghog said:

So is Bar Harbor now allowing cruise ships to stop like in the past or limited to certain times of the year? 

Bar Harbor is allowing cruise calls for the 2024 season that were booked before the November 2022 citizens' vote implementing a 1,000-person/day landing cap. But 2025 will see a big reduction.

So that's the rule, will be interesting to see how its enforced. The way its written, a larger capacity ship can call, BUT only 1000 people will be allowed to disembark .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, doghog said:

I honestly have no idea.  I would guess the latter.

• Thanks 1

Bar Harbor is a beautiful small town to visit (almost like Carmel, CA).  Unfortunately, the new ban will prohibit large ships from anchoring/tendering.  Not to mention other issues that may pop up (fog).  

On my summer cruise stop at Bar Harbor, I was able to get off the ship by 10 AM for an independent tour.  My cabin mate sent me a text (that I never saw) that I should plan on getting back to the dock earlier than I had planned.  ALL tendering ashore had been suspended and they were sending over empty shuttles to pick up guests that were already on shore.  Something about a "technical issue".  I got to the dock early and there was still quite a long queue for the ride back to the ship.

It didn't help that the ship was far out with lots of lobster pots out....and very slow tender speeds.

If you can get to Bar Harbor, it is a wonderful port.

• Like 2

Our stop in Bar Harbor last summer, I seem to remember they ran tenders for about an hour, then they stopped due to operational issues. We were on one of the first tenders, then they stopped running for guests going ashore. We walked around the town, had drinks and a lobster lunch, then came back to a large line at the dock.  The same night we had a letter from the captain apologizing for the issues, apparently many weren't able to go ashore, and everyone, us included, were given OBC for the inconvenience. 

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Our stop in Bar Harbor last summer, I seem to remember they ran tenders for about an hour, then they stopped due to operational issues. We were on one of the first tenders, then they stopped running for guests going ashore. We walked around the town, had drinks and a lobster lunch, then came back to a large line at the dock.  The same night we had a letter from the captain apologizing for the issues, apparently many weren't able to go ashore, and everyone, us included, were given OBC for the inconvenience. 

And I missed meeting you on this "same" voyage.  My loss.  Someday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grimace95120 said:

Bar Harbor is allowing cruise calls for the 2024 season that were booked before the November 2022 citizens' vote implementing a 1,000-person/day landing cap. But 2025 will see a big reduction.

So that's the rule, will be interesting to see how its enforced. The way its written, a larger capacity ship can call, BUT only 1000 people will be allowed to disembark .

Thanks. I had heard that but was hoping things have changed. As in Key West. 

Posted (edited)

We had hoped to use that stop to visit Acadia National Park (my wife "collects" US National Parks) but it sounds as if that won't be possible in the future. It's a long drive from California...

Edit: Of course I wanted a "real" lobster dinner as well.

Edited by Thrak

40 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We had hoped to use that stop to visit Acadia National Park (my wife "collects" US National Parks) but it sounds as if that won't be possible in the future. It's a long drive from California...

Edit: Of course I wanted a "real" lobster dinner as well.

Checked off bucket list … got to love those (National Park) Passport Books.  I am so glad I did this when I did.  Also got my stamp from Williamsburg on the same cruise.  

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Checked off bucket list … got to love those (National Park) Passport Books.  I am so glad I did this when I did.  Also got my stamp from Williamsburg on the same cruise.  

My wife doesn't have a passport book. She does have a tee shirt with every US National Park listed with a blank box next to the name. She marks them off with a marker. Her shirt has gotten a number of "wowie zowie" comments but... Back when there were only 50 US National Parks (yes, the number keeps growing) we were at the park headquarters in America Samoa when we saw a couple getting their picture taken with a park ranger. They had visited -at that time- all 50 US National Parks including the two in far northern Alaska. I asked how they got to those two and they said they had chartered a small plane. (Actually, the only way to get to those two. I'm guessing we won't mark those off of my wife's list.)

• Like 1

My "eye" just caught the title of Enchanted Princess day 3, so I thought I would read (different ones had made suggestions on how you should have titled it, but that's OK, as it CAUGHT my attention. 🙂 I have NO clue where/what Bar Harbor is, and what direction or ports you are going to, but I thought I would follow along, and try to pick up anything new that I might need to know for our Enchanted Princess cruise in February next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beshears said:

My "eye" just caught the title of Enchanted Princess day 3, so I thought I would read (different ones had made suggestions on how you should have titled it, but that's OK, as it CAUGHT my attention. 🙂 I have NO clue where/what Bar Harbor is, and what direction or ports you are going to, but I thought I would follow along, and try to pick up anything new that I might need to know for our Enchanted Princess cruise in February next year.

lol I’m not great at doing reviews or anything too structured.  I lose interest  very quickly.  However, I do enjoy updates and sharing anecdotal stories.  If you have any questions or anything you want me to find out for you, please just let me know and I’ll do my best.  Full disclosure:  I don’t do photos, especially food. lol

• Thanks 1

Today is St John for you today? Hope you enjoy !

PS dodged a bullet on the pilots strike. Turns out the Jazz pilots are not represented by the same union as the Air Canada pilots , so no work stoppage for them

Even though the Jazz planes are dressed in Air Canada Livery they operate under a different parent company, contracted to AC.  Back to LaGuardia as planned !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grimace95120 said:

Today is St John for you today? Hope you enjoy !

PS dodged a bullet on the pilots strike. Turns out the Jazz pilots are not represented by the same union as the Air Canada pilots , so no work stoppage for them

Even though the Jazz planes are dressed in Air Canada Livery they operate under a different parent company, contracted to AC.  Back to LaGuardia as planned !

I’m so happy to hear that!   Much better to fly into La Guardia.  Today is St. John, but weather is awful.

• Like 1