NCL Breakaway October 13, 2024 -- Are we losing Portland in addition to Bar Harbor!?

SAmome

I just realized that one of the best guesses of new itinerary, now that know Boston instead of Bar Harbor, also projects an at sea day instead of Portland.  Maine was the reason I booked, ugh!  Losing both Maine stops would be a huge disappointment.

Can Portland not just host the Breakaway Oct 16th?  The 15th we'll be in Boston.  The Gem is scheduled to be there on the 16th; can Portland port not host two big ships? 

I'd think already losing Bar Harbor Breakaway would get first dibs on Gem would have a change to sort of share the burden among pax.  

route.jpg

On the Portland ship schedule: https://maine.portcall.com/#!?tab=2&port=Portland

For October 16 there is Viking Mars and Norwegian Gem. There is only big dock for big ships and that is the Ocean Gateway Terminal. The schedule shows the Viking docking at the older pier and the Gem docking at the Ocean Gateway Terminal. There is no room for the Breakaway on October 16

Portland does have an anchorage spot, that spot might not be for big ships and will requiring tendering to shore 

6 minutes ago, shof515 said:

On the Portland ship schedule: https://maine.portcall.com/#!?tab=2&port=Portland

For October 16 there is Viking Mars and Norwegian Gem. There is only big dock for big ships and that is the Ocean Gateway Terminal. The schedule shows the Viking docking at the older pier and the Gem docking at the Ocean Gateway Terminal. There is no room for the Breakaway on October 16

Portland does have an anchorage spot, that spot might not be for big ships and will requiring tendering to shore 

Gem gets to both Bar Harbor and Portland that week.  Could that be part of the reason NCL hasn't announced the schedule change?  Maybe deciding whether to lose all Maine stops and have a really angry NYC cruise or swap out Breakaway/Gem on the 16th and have 2 ships somewhat annoyed with losing one Maine port?

I'm starting to think they will wait until boarding day so they don't get so many calls to NCL.

14 minutes ago, shof515 said:

There is only big dock for big ships and that is the Ocean Gateway Terminal.

Thanks for all your insight, btw.  

Is the Sky considered a big ship? They have Sky and Breakaway on the 15th.  If the Sky can fit at the older pier, could they be deciding between giving us Boston or Portland since on both schedules for the 15th? 

15 Oct - 06:00
dep 15:00
PEARL MIST
324' | 210 guests
OGT P2B1
last port | 
bar harbor
15 Oct - 10:30
dep 19:30
NORWEGIAN SKY
848' | 2480 guests
POT
last port | 
Halifax
15 Oct - 11:00
dep 19:00
NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY
1,068' | 3963 guests
OGT P2B2
last port | 
Newport

2 minutes ago, SAmome said:

Gem gets to both Bar Harbor and Portland that week.  Could that be part of the reason NCL hasn't announced the schedule change? 

Yes, there was a thread on here a month or so ago where many of us notified each other of these changes. Since there are still available cabins and money to be made, NCL is continuing to deceptively market Bar Harbour and perhaps Portland. If past behavior holds true, once they get our money and sell the remaining cabins, they'll make the bait and switch announcement. They'll explain how they are working tirelessly to deliver vacations....

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Yes, there was a thread on here a month or so ago where many of us notified each other of these changes. Since there are still available cabins and money to be made, NCL is continuing to deceptively market Bar Harbour and perhaps Portland. If past behavior holds true, once they get our money and sell the remaining cabins, they'll make the bait and switch announcement. They'll explain how they are working tirelessly to deliver vacations....

I did follow that thread but somehow thought Portland would be shifted not canceled; wishful thinking I guess.  I just got an email from NCL "Important information.... Breakaway" and thought, ok, finally, they are gonna tell us............. nope, I'm offered the opportunity to buy travel insurance.

Thank god I kept the drinking package!  Hubby doesn't drink so it's iffy on needing it even just paying out the tip part.  

Edited by SAmome

1 minute ago, SAmome said:

I did follow that thread but somehow thought Portland would be shifted not canceled; wishful thinking I guess.  I just got an email from NCL "Important information.... Breakaway" and thought, ok, finally, they are gonna tell us............. nope, I'm offered the opportunity to buy travel insurance.

Well, I hope for your sake it does somehow get shifted not cancelled. Portland is a cool little town. Notwithstanding, all you can do at this point is chalk it up to a lesson learned and make the best of your time onboard. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

If we lose Portland too, which I guess is probable if Gem already there the 16th, the at sea day would give plenty of time to get to St John early. 

Why not leave St John at a normal time and at least keep Halifax a daytime experience from advertised itinerary instead of 4pm-11pm (Oct 18th - likely cold)?

Sky is a mid size ship about the same size as the Gem

Tides can be a issue at St John, ship can only enter/exit the port at specific times when the tides is just right. i have been to St John many times in the past where i noticed the tides effected how the ship docked at the pier. 

• Haha 1

Well this is depressing.  I am on the Getaway next August for Bar Harbor and Portland. My Portland date of Aug 26th is not on the website.  I booked this cruise for the itinerary and now it doesn't look I will be going to either of the Maine ports.  I have been on cruises that have switched ports due to mother nature, but this is a complete bait and switch.  

Posted (edited)

I fully understand and commiserate with the possible bait and switch of advertising Maine ports and not delivering, but allow me to add my three cents.

We have been to Maine (and the rest of New England) in the fall twice. Both times we flew into Boston, rented a car and made a circle tour of New England for 10 days. We spent three...or was it four..full days in Maine. Had lobster every day...sometimes twice.

While I understand the allure of a NE cruise (at some point we may schedule one if the musical chairs port game ends), New England in the fall is best done on a land vacation. 

Having said that, I hope your cruise goes as planned (and promised).

Edited by schmoopie17

2 hours ago, SAmome said:

I just realized that one of the best guesses of new itinerary, now that know Boston instead of Bar Harbor, also projects an at sea day instead of Portland.  Maine was the reason I booked, ugh!  Losing both Maine stops would be a huge disappointment.

Can Portland not just host the Breakaway Oct 16th?  The 15th we'll be in Boston.  The Gem is scheduled to be there on the 16th; can Portland port not host two big ships? 

I'd think already losing Bar Harbor Breakaway would get first dibs on Gem would have a change to sort of share the burden among pax.  

route.jpg

The Portland port schedule shows the Breakaway there on October 15th. The Boston port schedule also shows the Breakaway there on the 15th. Who knows which is correct?

1 hour ago, LizzieandLuke said:

Well this is depressing.  I am on the Getaway next August for Bar Harbor and Portland. My Portland date of Aug 26th is not on the website.  I booked this cruise for the itinerary and now it doesn't look I will be going to either of the Maine ports.  I have been on cruises that have switched ports due to mother nature, but this is a complete bait and switch.  

Unless the local ordinance's change you will NOT be going to Bar Harbor in 2025. At least you have plenty of time to cancel without penalty. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zqvol said:

The Portland port schedule shows the Breakaway there on October 15th. The Boston port schedule also shows the Breakaway there on the 15th. Who knows which is correct?

breakaway was never scheduled for Boston. within the last month or so, the breakaway was added as a port of visit for October 15 when boston updated their schedule 

its still a big mystery on what is going to happen on october 15 on where the ship will go and a bigger mystery on when they will be an itinerary notification be sent out. With like month and half to sail date it sucks not knowing when and where will dock. 

3 hours ago, shof515 said:

Sky is a mid size ship about the same size as the Gem

Do you know if the Portland port schedule for Oct 15th is possible in terms of ship size?  Sky at POT?  If that's possible it would seem possible to put Gem at POT, Viking Mars to OGT P2B1 and Breakaway to OGT P2B2 on Oct 16.  

5 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

I fully understand and commiserate with the possible bait and switch of advertising Maine ports and not delivering, but allow me to add my three cents.

We have been to Maine (and the rest of New England) in the fall twice. Both times we flew into Boston, rented a car and made a circle tour of New England for 10 days. We spent three...or was it four..full days in Maine. Had lobster every day...sometimes twice.

While I understand the allure of a NE cruise (at some point we may schedule one if the musical chairs port game ends), New England in the fall is best done on a land vacation. 

Having said that, I hope your cruise goes as planned (and promised).

This is what I did last October and it was fabulous. 

5 hours ago, shof515 said:

Unless the local ordinance's change you will NOT be going to Bar Harbor in 2025. At least you have plenty of time to cancel without penalty. 

I understand Bar Harbor, but why wouldn't Portland be listed for next summer?  Sigh.  

On 8/29/2024 at 6:40 AM, LizzieandLuke said:

Bar Harbor recently restricted their port to no more than 1000 passengers per day, so there's been some juggling.  NCL is eliminating ports of call with no substitute and keeping the money for port fees and taxes.  We need to push back on this.  It's not legal.

7 minutes ago, kaysha2004 said:

NCL is eliminating ports of call with no substitute and keeping the money for port fees and taxes.  We need to push back on this.  It's not legal.

a possible port substitute is Boston, how they fit in the schedule is a puzzle

16 hours ago, kaysha2004 said:

Bar Harbor recently restricted their port to no more than 1000 passengers per day, so there's been some juggling.  NCL is eliminating ports of call with no substitute and keeping the money for port fees and taxes.  We need to push back on this.  It's not legal.

They are not keeping port fees and taxes. Any fees that are collected and not paid are refunded. 

1 hour ago, dmtb518 said:

I contacted NCL yesterday and bar harbor is still there they said, however there are no excursions available so who knows. 

That sailing is not going to Bar Harbor. Go with the official port calendar, not the NCL sales center. They just know what comes up on their computer and they will say whatever they are told to say to sell cruises.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, luv2kroooz said:

That sailing is not going to Bar Harbor. Go with the official port calendar, not the NCL sales center. They just know what comes up on their computer and they will say whatever they are told to say to sell cruises.

Either way I’m just excited to be sailing again- been too long!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmtb518 said:

I contacted NCL yesterday and bar harbor is still there they said, however there are no excursions available so who knows. 

call center is reading the same ncl website that you have to access. they dont have any insider information

• Like 1