Live from Voyager, Trieste to Lisbon dep 31.8.24

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Gilly! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Gilly was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Good Morning from the BA Lounge at LHR where we await our flight to Venice.  We're very much looking forward to this, a "bonus" cruise this year, because we already sailed Rio to Lisbon just a few short months ago.  The funny thing is that it was also on Voyager; we'll have the same suite and we expect many of the same crew to be on board - this will be the first time we've rejoined a ship during the same crew rotation.  I am expecting it to feel more like coming home than ever!

I'll drop in here from time to time, but will be posting mainly on my blog as usual.  I hope that others will chip in here with their thoughts, assuming, that is, that we'll have company on board! 😉  We are overnight in Venice, at the Hilton Molino Stucky and transfer to Trieste in the morning.

Let the fun begin!

• Like 8

Have a great time Gilly - I'm jealous! We were with you on the Rio to Lisbon cruise. Our next cruise is Hong Kong to Tokyo on Explorer next February. Our first cruise not on Voyager!

Enjoy your day in Venice, we'll be there for a week in November. 

Looking forward to your blog.

Mike

• Thanks 1

'Interesting' flight with twelve rows in business...the like of which we have never seen.  A conversation with flight crew explained - 48 seats chartered by Silversea cruises.  We sat quietly, thinking we made a wise choice here, for as the party started, these did not feel like 'our peeps'. Or perhaps that's regular group behaviour and 48 Regent people would be similarly vocal?

• Like 2

We are currently on the ship and getting off tomorrow.   I have to say the food has been the best we have had on a RSSC cruise.   Head chef is out and about all the time and it shows!  

it was a perfect nine days, with no sea days, but it was hot.   Gilly,  a new entertainment crew just joined the ship.   The entertainment seemed to be a lackluster three guitar shows, two movies, two production shows and an ok comedian.  Hopefully that gets better for you.  

• Thanks 1

We'll be traveling on Voyager for the first time in February.  Looking forward to the new experience after two cruises each on Explorer and Splendor.  Will be following here and on your blog (and look up your previous cruise on the latter.)

Many thanks,

• Like 1

Well, we are here, in the Hilton Stucky and the Aperol Spritz is on its way.  My word, it's been quite a day!

Our 0755 flight was delayed because of an unusually large amount of luggage in the hold, which needed careful redistribution before we could depart.  An hour or more later, we finally took off, with the resultant delayed arrival.

Once in the terminal we met four delightful fellow Regent guests who had graciously waited more than an hour for our arrival and *still* greeted us warmly. During the next two hours, there followed a series of unfortunate events which might have included the non arrival of some luggage (we don't know), a great deal of faffing about by various representatives, a mystery couple who were nowhere to be seen and a stolen handbag. The police were called and arrived with the stolen handbag in hand (phew), porters had collected our luggage and having walked the ten mins to the dock, we'd come across the other couple who had been waiting patiently (anxiously) there all afternoon.  We never heard any more about missing luggage but nine of us boarded a small boat and heaved a sigh of relief!

Once again, it's the ground agency  staff who appear inefficient and unable/unwilling to communicate reassurance or explain what's going on.  Thank goodness we know Regent well enough to be confident that the minute we step on board Voyager tomorrow, all will be well. No, it will be even better than that!

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Gilly said:

Once again, it's the ground agency  staff who appear inefficient and unable/unwilling to communicate reassurance or explain what's going on.  Thank goodness we know Regent well enough to be confident that the minute we step on board Voyager tomorrow, all will be well. No, it will be even better than that!

Our checked bags also failed to show up in Venice last year for our sailing on Splendor.  In our case, staff at FRA decided our bags wanted some extra time in that city rather than moving onto Venice (although we had plenty of transfer time).  The bags were on the next flight that day into Venice, but then sat overnight at Marco Polo airport.  They did not arrive at the Molino Stucky until the afternoon of the following day.  Thank goodness for AirTags as we knew where the bags were and could advise staff of the same!  (And that we have adjusted our travel planning post-pandemic to arrive at least two days and nights prior to sailing.)

You may no longer have time given the time difference, but the restaurant La Palanca a few minutes' walk from the hotel was lovely.  But they only serve full meals through lunch.  You can get drinks (try a Select Spritz) and snacks after that.

• Like 2

Gilly,

for your sake (and ours), I hope that the current Code Red restrictions will be lifted once the other passengers get off the ship. It hasn't been very enjoyable the last few days with everything shut down, no self serve buffet, no launderette, puzzles etc. The mood is a little bit subdued right now, so it can only get bettet.

1 hour ago, loriva said:

You may no longer have time given the time difference, but the restaurant La Palanca a few minutes' walk from the hotel was lovely.

Thank you @loriva !  Sorry to hear of your baggage woes too.  We had hoped for Harry's Dolci tonight but it's closed for a private party. Roberto the Concierge has recommended Cacciatori along the way and has booked us a table...we will leave shortly and report back later!

@BBWC that doesn't sound good!  We have sailed under code red before and it puts a real downer on things.  I had no idea such things were a concern on Voyager right now.  Fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, Gilly said:

@BBWC that doesn't sound good!  We have sailed under code red before and it puts a real downer on things.  I had no idea such things were a concern on Voyager right now.  Fingers crossed.

I am sure it will be ok, they surely don’t want the new passengers to experience it. On a positive note, things are improving. We got to take our own canapes tonight, and the chargers in Compass Rose are back, along with flowers on the table. Still paper menus, but there is progress.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, DatawCruiser said:

What does Regent do in this case?  Surely, they can't board a new cruise with these restrictions in place.  Or can they?

They can and they will - if necessary.

51 minutes ago, minotaur said:

They can and they will - if necessary.

Yes indeed...and I'm glad they take such swift and effective action.  What's really needed of course is for every single person on board to pay particular attention to their own personal hygiene and to report any illness promptly.  Our Code Red experience was ghastly and lasted for a long time (described here previously so no need to repeat).  Thank you for hope and reassurance, @BBWC.

• Like 2

Hope Code Red clears quickly Gilly.
Thinking about all the lovely people we met on the Grand voyage also.

We got off a week ago after 17 days and there was no sign of illness, no coughing or gossip around the pool of people becoming ill. 
Have not yet written a review due to other pressures, however I will agree with irishwitchy re entertainment. The new production team joined on the 15th of August. Paul the CD showed films three times in 8 days instead of shows/ guest acts etc. Crew kapers occurred on the 8 th day of the 10 day segment and the 5 th day of the 7 day. The penultimate day of each segment was dire

( entertainment wise) It was as if everyone had already left the ship. We assumed this was due to the change in production team until the 20th of August when the same thing occurred. We did however have a fabulous guest singer who had appeared in phantom of the Opera.
Hope the entertainment picks up.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, welshfamily said:

Hope the entertainment picks up

@welshfamily whilst the entertainment is never the main highlight of a cruise, its disappointing when there's nothing at all - showing a film might be ok in occasional circumstances, but in Europe, where there are currently many ships (and entertainers?) close on hand, it seems poor.  Hopefully, the new cast will have got it together and there might be one or two extras as well. I will let you know!!

Edited by Gilly

I am sure the news that the Code Red was lifted was about the most welcome you have had in a while, Gilly !!   Have a great trip AND keep us uptodate on all the "doings".

Groups of any kind on flights OR ships are a pain.  Affinity groups (IMO) are the worst.  We had the "pleasure" of sailing with an alumni group from Michigan State on the Mariner some time ago.  They ALL had MSU flags on their doors...and gathered nightly in different bars to "whoop it up".  since the locations were different it was a guessing game for us!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gilly said:

That's great news - thank you!  Are you disembarking this morning or will we see you on board @BBWC?

We are on the Grand Voyage, so staying on to Lisbon.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BBWC said:

We are on the Grand Voyage, so staying on 

Then shall we meet for a drink?  Do you have an opening on your dance card?!   (Or on your Trivia team? 🤣)

Edited by Gilly