I really like Crystal but…

LNugent

On 9/2/2024 at 6:56 PM, KenzSailing said:

I'm with Vince.  This thread has turned into a remake of Jurassic Park.  As a refresher, bringing back the dinosaurs was not a good idea....

Just because something CAN be done doesn't mean that it SHOULD be done.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Yikes!!  All because I don’t care for electric violins???Not sure they are even a legitimate instrument. Would love to see them try to play a real violin. And maybe lose the canned percussion accompaniment. 

Well they have and some of them have performed admirably in special shows in the Galaxy lounge and played key roles in the show.

This is an example. Take a look. See the three violinists. Not electric.  Traditional violins which were part of some of the Beatles songs.

DSC_3200.jpeg.095a4441d030c40d0d7b28680bd340c1.jpeg

Many musicians are multi instrument talented.

I guess years ago some might have said the same things about those electric guitars. In fact, I remember some did when the Beatles showed up. Long hair.  Electric guitars.  Would not last more than a few months.  

Keith

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Ter hits the nail on the head. Something for everyone. While you disco away the night we will be in our comfy bed with that wonderful breeze from the terrace. See you at breakfast,  . 

I thought the "rules" were to not have your balcony door open when you are in the cabin!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Ter hits the nail on the head. Something for everyone. While you disco away the night we will be in our comfy bed with that wonderful breeze from the terrace. See you at breakfast,  . 

So THAT'S why we have issues with the air conditioning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Most of the newer built cruise ships have an interlock mechanism that shuts off the cabin’s A/C ventilation if the balcony door remains open for an extended period. I do not believe either Crystal ship employs this technology.

On the Crystal ships you shouldn't leave the verandah doors open because you are impacting the A/C systems. I believe there are stickers on the doors that tell you just that. Sometimes when I am up early in the morning when most are sleeping I hear the loud noise that someone's balcony door is open. 

Crystal does not deploy the technology that Rob mentioned as many of the newer ships do.

Keith

• Like 2

Even worse as some of the newer ships, the door has to be LOCKED for the AC to be working.  Making it difficult for one spouse to nap inside while the other is on the veranda reading.  What is the CODE for a guest locked out on the veranda  🙂

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2024 at 9:37 AM, Whipsnade said:

... But nothing beats the screeching of the current Russian electric violinists on every cruise in Cove at cocktail time. 

Nadia is an extremely talented musician who plays beautiful music. I would prefer a real violin but what she performs can hardly be called "screeching".

• Like 1

As long as we are all complaining about onboard music (although I know I am a bit late to the thread)…. Why can’t we have music (in some venues) themed to the locale? Locals would be best (maybe on an overnight stop), but barring that, I know the show band could do it. Even if it’s just an hour at the pool. Let’s have some cultural awareness paired with our itineraries. Why does it always have to be pianists or violinists or DJs? We don’t even get Caribbean music in the Caribe. 

• Like 5

On 9/1/2024 at 8:46 AM, Txcotn said:

... And a duo for dancing? I thought D'Ovidio bought Crystal because he loved it, not so he could cut one of the major draws for people who look for live music...

All the lines have been cutting this area since right before Covid.   They are all duos now.  I challenge anyone to find a trio or quartet on any ship, other than the dance orchestra in the Queen's Room on Cunard ships, and the party bands that all the big ships employ. 

There are too few of us who care enough to protest.  Over time of course it gradually becomes "acceptable" and the new given.  Sigh...

• Like 2

I agree with most of Keith’s points. Always evolution and smaller pax count means less entertainment. However I do not really see any less. Shows every night. Cove music mostly good although I question electric violins and DJ at cocktail hour. 
New lecturers are mostly excellent especially the geographers. I miss insight into politics with some long time correspondents although I suspect the reason is current angst in US. However all the correspondents were careful to stay clear of partisanship. 
The stock shows haven’t changed since well prior to Covid. Most of us have seen them many times. How about some new ones?

Then there are the movies which is baffling. Same second rate flicks segment after segment for months. Really disappointing. Some of us are, in part Crystal fans because they have only ships with dedicated movie theaters and they show films twice a day. But most of the stuff they are showing is too poor for even Netflix. How about some top rated films and some great oldies?  For what we pay we deserve better and more variety. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

In this age of 4k streaming I would not shed a tear if the new builds eliminated the movie theaters.

Remember those movie theaters have other roles; Religious Services and better size than Galaxy for that, afternoon lectures which often draw less guests than morning ones so the smaller venue plays well.

I hear you about streaming but not everyone streams and what will it be like if many more are streaming on the internet.

Interesting about the movies.  

I think they had some great ones but like most things in life the only opinion that matters is your own.

Keith

6 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

In this age of 4k streaming I would not shed a tear if the new builds eliminated the movie theaters.

Streaming on a phone or tablet is not comparable to the screen in the Hollywood. Sometimes new isn't better.

Patty

• Like 6

I am going to gently step into this thread and say a few things since we are presently on Serenity and having a wonderful time.   We have just had two nice relatively calm sea days.  The enrichment talks have been excellent.  Bill Miller is an enthusiastic historian of cruising and gave two excellent talks.  Ken Walsh, a distinguished White House reporter has also spoken on three topics around the presidency.  All done very well.  This cruises has been an escape for two weeks from the political scene in the US.   Enough said.

There are loads of movies, including some great classics like “Breaking Away” and “All about Eve”. But there are few recent films.  Not a big deal to us.  Music and entertainment are excellent.  We are enjoying Leandro on piano in the Cove and Neal at the Avenue.  So just sharing our thoughts and experiences.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 360Guy said:

Music and entertainment are excellent.  We are enjoying Leandro on piano.  So just sharing our thoughts and experiences.

Leandro is an amazing artist and a genuinely nice guy. And his knowledge and memory of music, without any scores in front of him, is fascinating to watch (and hear).

Rob

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

I think this is going to be an interesting one to watch, because a lot of things are going to depend on final guest count and the mix of lounges tapped and how they’re designed.  As Keith noted, the Theatre has other uses and one of its most important right now is to serve Crystal’s group and incentive business.  In the current mix it allows for lectures and mid-day activities to go on without impact when grouped need theatre-style seating venues — and flexibly depending on the size of the group or the lectures.  

They could redesign other venues to absorb this function completely if they chose, but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see them resize and keep the theatre in some form, in order to preserve its essential group function. I definitely agree that its role as a cinema is secondary these days for sure though.

Vince

• Like 3

Vince, good point about the group and incentive business. On pretty much most or even all of our port stops the theatre was used for this purpose. 

Anything is possible, but I suspect this one is a keeper but as they say "time will tell".

Keith

• Like 2

Just wanted to chime in about a few items mentioned.

I do have a pet peeve about speakers which I have provided to those responsible for them.  It relates to speakers who do not change up their slides. This recognizes that you have part of an audience who are Crystal Society Members who likely have seen the same speakers before.  There are some who I won't mention names whose talks I could give myself. So I am happy with repeat speakers who are well thought of, but just want to see updated material.

There are some categories of speakers I would like to see and hope at some point we will see them.

I do not care for the ones who touch on politics even though this is a subject that interests me knowing that they could cause stress on a good portion of the audience.

With that said I loved Ocean View or something similar where you have two or more people speaking on the same program giving a cross section of views. Otherwise, I think most people want to get away from the political rhetoric so I feel it is better to error and not have them give talks.

I do enjoy themed cruises so enjoy when you can have speakers who are part of a theme such as movie and theatre, or most recently World War II/D-Day as we had on our Crystal Symphony cruise. 

Production shows cost a lot of money to produce. This was always a challenge for Crystal. I remember on our second cruise ages ago we realized this.  I believe they will be coming out with a new production show and I think it was good that some were removed and individual performers were substituted.  I do think they have done a nice job with more individual performers in the evening.

As to movies I know some don't care for them.  All I know is the movies which have been offered are ones that we either paid for when we streamed or we recently watched for free (well included) with various streaming services we have and we enjoyed most of them. When we walk inside the ship as we did on our four recent cruises on both ships we would pass the theater and note what the showing was and talk about them. Overall, I thought they were quite good.

While it is rare that I would watch a movie in our room I find while there are lots of movies to choose from ones that we have seen or have no interest in seeing. Then again to me it is similar to the airlines of which I feel the same way.  

Keith

• Like 2