Canadian customs on a Transatlantic cruise

Mikamarii

We are Canadian citizens currently on a Transatlantic ending in Boston. We have two stops coming up in PEI and NS before ending in Boston. We have been away from Canada since Aug 06. 

This is our first time we've visited a Canadian port on any cruise. In our room this evening we had Canadian custom forms in our stateroom with a note saying it had to be filled out which brought up some questions for us regarding how we declare. I couldn't find the answer on the Travel Canada website. 

Do we fill out the form with everything we've purchased while away? We leave Canada and arrive in Boston a few days later. When we return to Canada on our flight do we fill out the customs form as if we have only been gone a couple days (ie since our stops in PEI and NS) and not declare the goods we already declared? Or do we declare everything again and fill out the second form as if we have been gone since Aug 06. Or do we not declare in our Canadian stops since we aren't bringing anything in to Canada? We haven't spent more than our allotted amount so not concerned about being over just want to make sure we do things properly and more curious now than anything. 

We are new Nexus members and don't want to do anything to jeopardize our status!

Hope that all made sense.

Thanks all. 

34 minutes ago, Mikamarii said:

We are Canadian citizens currently on a Transatlantic ending in Boston. We have two stops coming up in PEI and NS before ending in Boston. We have been away from Canada since Aug 06. 

This is our first time we've visited a Canadian port on any cruise. In our room this evening we had Canadian custom forms in our stateroom with a note saying it had to be filled out which brought up some questions for us regarding how we declare. I couldn't find the answer on the Travel Canada website. 

Do we fill out the form with everything we've purchased while away? We leave Canada and arrive in Boston a few days later. When we return to Canada on our flight do we fill out the customs form as if we have only been gone a couple days (ie since our stops in PEI and NS) and not declare the goods we already declared? Or do we declare everything again and fill out the second form as if we have been gone since Aug 06. Or do we not declare in our Canadian stops since we aren't bringing anything in to Canada? We haven't spent more than our allotted amount so not concerned about being over just want to make sure we do things properly and more curious now than anything. 

We are new Nexus members and don't want to do anything to jeopardize our status!

Hope that all made sense.

Thanks all. 

Opinion only. Make any necessary declaration at the first Canadian port. Take a picture of the declaration form in case there is an issue on the return flight. 

Interesting question.

Since you're on a cruise port visit, you're not taking your luggages out to leave at that port, would it be necessary to declare the items bought but staying in your cabin, while you are in port?

If you declare everything, and say you almost reached your limit, but when you return to the ship then go to Boston, you're taking the stuff out of ship, to US.  Does that mean your purchase resets from 0 for the purpose of declaration to customs when you go back to Canada.

I'd like to know the answer too.

24 minutes ago, broberts said:

Opinion only. Make any necessary declaration at the first Canadian port. Take a picture of the declaration form in case there is an issue on the return flight. 

This is what we are going to do. I think if anything quirky arose we would have an easy time explaining it and wouldn't be punished over it (well i hope anyway) as we arent trying to circumvent anything. Its more of a procedural issue i suppose. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Middleager said:

Interesting question.

Since you're on a cruise port visit, you're not taking your luggages out to leave at that port, would it be necessary to declare the items bought but staying in your cabin, while you are in port?

If you declare everything, and say you almost reached your limit, but when you return to the ship then go to Boston, you're taking the stuff out of ship, to US.  Does that mean your purchase resets from 0 for the purpose of declaration to customs when you go back to Canada.

I'd like to know the answer too.

Ya we definitely arent bringing anything off the ship. On the letter in our room it says Canadian citizens must fill out portion for declared goods which is what is throwing us off since they would likely know we arent staying in Canada and continuing on to Boston. 

The decleration form only says the entitlements when "returning to canada" not whether or not we are bringing goods in. This is super nitpicky on the wording on our part. 

Im probably reading way to much in to this but still like to know for my own (and others benefit). If we get a chance to speak to a Border Agent ill ask and report back on what they say. 

Excellent question. I don't know whether this link will help, given the unusual nature of your situation, but if you consider the underlying rationale for the declaration process, it seems logical that your port visits should NOT require you to declare any items purchased outside the country and left on the ship. A full declaration would, of course, be required for your final return to Canada.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/e311-eng.html

That's what I would do, but it's just my opinion.

An excellent question, indeed!  Has anyone taken the Skagway train through BC and the Yukon?  What are the CBSA requirements for that excursion?  After all, you are only in transit; the same as when you visit a cruise port.  I can’t imagine you’d be making a Customs declaration when you’re not bringing goods into Canada.  Yet.

Even NEXUS doesn’t require you to list in-transit visits on the application.  I’d ask at Guest Services on the ship.  You can’t be the only Canadians onboard and you’re likely not the first ship to ever go through this process.  I definitely would be asking that question onboard or if you are lucky enough to find a CBSA Officer!  I would really want to know that your exit and entry time doesn’t reset the duty-free amount! 

I’m glad you will be taking a picture!

Shoot.  I got distracted by a big thunderstorm and have forgotten my other suggestion.  I might be back!  😂

I decided to give AI (Perplexity) a chance to tackle this one, with the following results for your consideration:

Based on the scenario described, here's how the Canadian passenger should handle their Customs declaration when arriving at the Canadian ports during the cruise:

Temporary Entry at Canadian Ports

When the cruise ship stops at Canadian ports before reaching its final US destination, the Canadian passenger is essentially making a temporary entry into Canada. In this situation:

2. The passenger does not need to complete a full Customs declaration form at the Canadian ports.
  4. Any goods purchased abroad that remain on the ship do not need to be declared at this point.
  6. The passenger should have their passport or other valid travel document ready for inspection.
  8. If asked by border officials, the passenger can explain that they are on a cruise that will be terminating in the US, and that they will be returning to Canada afterwards.

Full Declaration Upon Final Return to Canada

The full Customs declaration should be made when the passenger ultimately returns to Canada after the cruise ends in the US:

1. At this point, the passenger will need to complete a full CBSA Declaration Card or use the ArriveCAN app to submit an Advance Declaration.
  3. All goods purchased abroad during the entire trip, including those bought on the cruise, must be declared.
  5. The passenger will be eligible for their personal exemption based on their time outside Canada, which will be calculated from when they initially left Canada for the cruise until their final return.
  7. Any duties or taxes owed on goods exceeding the exemption limit will be assessed at this time.

By following this approach, the passenger complies with Canadian border regulations while avoiding unnecessary paperwork during the brief cruise stops in Canadian ports.

A technicality is when going off the ship in a Canadian port, you can theoretically take a bunch of stuff bought abroad, to the Canadian land.  If you know of someone in PEI or NS port, who can take those stuff (whatever items of value), you'd need to declare those items.   Then when you get back on ship, your allowable purchase amount will reset to start at 0.

While in Canada, you’re a Canadian who’s technically “in transit” to your final destination so you're only required to declare anything you’ve purchased abroad when you’re en route to your destination on the final leg of your trip. I don’t think you personally are required to hand in the declaration to Canada customs on the port visits but if you are I’d suggest you ask them how to make note of your in transit status so you dont have your purchases tallied up again on your arrival at your home airport.
We had this question on our port visit to Victoria on an Alaska cruise returning to Seattle. There were no clear answers, but we didn’t give up our customs declaration on board for that reason and brought it off the ship just in case we had to fill it out. 

Facinating stuff! Thanks all for taking the time to research the answer and offer an opinion. The AI response is pretty cool and informative. 

For reference ive attached the letter that was in our room. We have to drop it off at guest services by Sept 3 as we dont arrive at our first Canadian port until the 4th. Funnily enough we are meeting friends at each port but aren't bringing items off the ship. 

Ill report back if i have the opportunuty to speak to an agent. 

20240901_081446.jpg