Entertainment on HAL

Carol28

How does the entertainment (production shows, rock and roll dance venues, piano bar, pre-dinner music, game shows, etc) compare to  Celebrity cruise? Entertainment is very important to us (as well as the itinerary) so we are hoping that there is much to do on the ship.

Thank you for your responses.

52 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

How does the entertainment (production shows, rock and roll dance venues, piano bar, pre-dinner music, game shows, etc) compare to  Celebrity cruise? Entertainment is very important to us (as well as the itinerary) so we are hoping that there is much to do on the ship.

Entertainment on HAL is undergoing some revisions.  For a time, there wasn't much, as HAL opted to discontinue such things as production shows, and cut back on small group performances. 

But they're working on it.  I can't compare it to Celebrity.  We like the change from dual pianos back to single piano in Bilboard Onboard.  

Edited by Shmoo here

I have done many cruises on both Celebrity and Holland America.  Personally, I feel that Celebrity’s shows are more robust, entertaining and have variety.  For some reason Holland America has multiple theme nights, and on those nights there are no shows.  They will usually have a band on these theme nights.  Additionally, several nights they will show a movie instead of having live entertainment in the theater.  If I remember correctly they have also done away with live music during production shows.

Each cruise line has their positives and negatives. If live production show entertainment is important to you, Holland would not be my recommendation.  

Edited by howiefrommd
Typo correction
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

Thank you for your response. Do you know if they are having production shows again? 

They have recently added some production shows back on the longer cruises.  Our recent Voyage of the Vikings they had 3 production shows (on the first leg), and several individual musicians (violinist and a pianist).  Also a couple of comedians, and a Canadian group (sorry can't recall the name).  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

They have recently added some pro

You were on a great itinerary.  What did they have for you for sea days during the day? Lots of things to do - games, shows, speakers?

We are interested in HAL, but like to keep busy.

What ship were you on for the Voyage of the Vikings?

We left HAL in 2022 and jumped to Princess Solstice class of Ships because the Pinnacle class  Hal ships did not have production shows due to the configuration of their main stage. They projected BBC shows on the wall. Shows that were viewable on your tv in your room. 

The main stage  production shows on Princess are packed and you have to arrive early or stand against the walls.

Our post cruise surveys to HAL were not complimentary in the entertainment part. We were with them exclusively since 2010 but mostly on the 2,100 SOB ships. 

Off to try Celebrity on a TA, hopefully their main stage shows will be lively too!!

Bob 

For about ten years before the pandemic, we sailed each year roughly equally between HAL & Celebrity (though in the last couple of years we’ve been happier with HAL). I’ve enjoyed some wonderful entertainment on both companies’ ships and unfortunately have seen some very poor offerings, too, where people left in droves. It’s like Forest Gump’s box of chocolates. 

Edited by Caribbean Chris

17 hours ago, Carol28 said:

We're in our early 70s, 4-star on HAL and Elite+ on Celebrity, and are giving HAL another look, as our last cruise with them was back in 2019 when we circumnavigated Australia on the Maasdam. IMHO HAL and Celebrity offer two totally different experiences, with or without the return of their production shows. But what is causing us to give HAL another look is their (1) new booking perks, depending on how early you book your cruise, (2) more reasonable fares as we like aft-facing cabins, and most importantly, (3) they have some pretty cool longer itineraries whereas with Celebrity, they only offer 6-11 day "cookie-cutter" itineraries for the most part to attract the younger working crowd.

However, if you are more into taking shorter 7-10 day cruises to the Caribbean and/or maybe crossing the Atlantic, my suggestion is to stick with Celebrity. Why? On Celebrity the CD usually has an entertainment staff of 4-5 members focused on keeping you entertained. HAL usually has just one person to assist the CD and offers a more relaxing onboard experience with a variety of music venues to keep you entertained. But since we enjoy longer 3-5 week itineraries, HAL definitely offers some pretty cool ones. Anyway, that's my 3-cents on the subject.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Entertainment on HAL is undergoing some revisions.  For a time, there wasn't much, as HAL opted to discontinue such things as production shows, and cut back on small group performances. 

But they're working on it.  I can't compare it to Celebrity.  We like the change from dual pianos back to single piano in Bilboard Onboard.  

Oosterdam has dual pianos now. 

18 hours ago, Carol28 said:

Entertainment is very important to us (as well as the itinerary) so we are hoping that there is much to do on the ship.

Since entertainment is very important I would steer you away from HAL. iMO HaL has the lowest budget entertainment of the mainstream lines and it shows in quality. 

Instead of a team of 6-10 “playmakers” running various activities throughout the day, HAl has three. There is only so much you can offer in terms of things to do with such a small staff. Think lots of adult coloring and foot analysis. 

If you are physically active and looking for a bit more energy, HAL is especially dismal. On most days all entertainment was finished long before midnight. By 11 pm the ship was pretty much a ghost village. You will find zero entertainment offered past midnight. 

I was super excited to experience the music walk, but it’s only as good as the performers and on my 35 day voyage the band in RSRR was just “ok” and the billboard entertainment was poor by my standards.  If you are looking at a pinnacle ship you stand better chances as BBKings brought the high quality entertainment I seek, but that has been removed from all but the Pinnaxle class so choose ship accordingly. 

HAL appeals to a more traditional cruiser who prefers peace and quiet. People content to read a book on the promenade and whose big activity of the day is attending trivia. Nothing wrong with that. HAL has very loyal followers.

What HaL does well is long itineraries at very competitive pricing. I fall into the GenX crowd looking for a more upbeat vibe than HAL offers, but I still have 57 days booked on Hal this winter because HAL itineraries are really terrific. Gotta take the good with the bad. 

If you choose Hal for itinerary and are prepared to make your own entertainment you should be fine. But entertainment is not HALs strength. IMO it’s HaLs greatest weakness.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Carol28 said:

You were on a great itinerary.  What did they have for you for sea days during the day? Lots of things to do - games, shows, speakers?

We are interested in HAL, but like to keep busy.

We were on the Zuiderdam.  We had (over the course of the whole cruise) 5 different speakers, most of who did 3-4 talks.  Trivia of various themes at least 3-4 times a day (even on non-sea days).  And art classes, games, deck parties.  Plenty to keep us entertained.

Edited by Shmoo here

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Since entertainment is very important I would steer you away from HAL. iMO HaL has the lowest budget entertainment of the mainstream lines and it shows in quality. 

Instead of a team of 6-10 “playmakers” running various activities throughout the day, HAl has three. There is only so much you can offer in terms of things to do with such a small staff. Think lots of adult coloring and foot analysis. 

If you are physically active and looking for a bit more energy, HAL is especially dismal. On most days all entertainment was finished long before midnight. By 11 pm the ship was pretty much a ghost village. You will find zero entertainment offered past midnight. 

I was super excited to experience the music walk, but it’s only as good as the performers and on my 35 day voyage the band in RSRR was just “ok” and the billboard entertainment was poor by my standards.  If you are looking at a pinnacle ship you stand better chances as BBKings brought the high quality entertainment I seek, but that has been removed from all but the Pinnaxle class so choose ship accordingly. 

HAL appeals to a more traditional cruiser who prefers peace and quiet. People content to read a book on the promenade and whose big activity of the day is attending trivia. Nothing wrong with that. HAL has very loyal followers.

What HaL does well is long itineraries at very competitive pricing. I fall into the GenX crowd looking for a more upbeat vibe than HAL offers, but I still have 57 days booked on Hal this winter because HAL itineraries are really terrific. Gotta take the good with the bad. 

If you choose Hal for itinerary and are prepared to make your own entertainment you should be fine. But entertainment is not HALs strength. IMO it’s HaLs greatest weakness.

I agree. We sail HAL because they offer the itineraries we want at a price we feel is fair for the experience. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

But entertainment is not HALs strength. IMO it’s HaLs greatest weakness.

Didn't used to be the case.  Sadly, the best show I've seen onboard a ship was on a HAL ship (2013).  And I've been on several Disney cruises with good production shows.  

Edited by Shmoo here