New to Regent Seven Seas and need Advice

Morning,

We are considering booking our first cruise on Seven Seas Voyager. We have done over 50 cruises on Cunard, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess and a couple of others.

Hate to say it, but we are getting a little bored with some of the above, not all.We certainly like Cunard and Celebrity. So we are wondering if this cruise line might be for us. We don’t do bingo or trivia. We like shows ,lectures, and hopefully good food. Any help appreciated.

resordanis: 

Welcome "aboard".

We also eschew bingo and trivia. And--art auctions.  (Not to worry, no auctions cluttering up Regent ships' common areas.)

Similar history.  Started cruising almost 30 years ago--on Holland America and Princess.  No complaints.  However, on advice of our then-Travel Advisor (TA): gravitated to the smaller, all-inclusive Silversea, Seabourn, and Radisson/Regent ships. Throw in a few Crystal cruises which were, thankfully, before the bankruptcy. 

Still do the "Queens" and Princess with extended family from time to time.  But, if it is just spouse and self, any ship with over 800 passengers is not the right fit. That IS a key distinction.  

You have taken the initial step by joining this Forum.  Suggest taking the time to review a few Cruise Critic Regent Threads to get a sense of where many of your potential fellow travels are coming from.   

If you have a TA:  Hopefully, he or she has experience sailing on, and booking clients on Regent ships. Another Source of Info.  

No hard-sell while onboard for--shops, future cruises.  Few general announcements.  Just take the time to read daily "Passages" hard-copy which (together with two delicious chocolates) will be on bedspread each evening after turn-down.  Two visits each day by Suite Attendants.  

Suite Attendants:  Uniformly wonderful, caring people. Ask for something which, by chance was not in your Suite--or another bottle of wine--Viola!  They are the Real Ambassadors of the Regent "Brand".

Should you be in Penthouse or above--the Butler. Have utilized that amenity about 25% of our times w/Regent. Often as part of an incentive offer.  Nice to have; not need to have.   

What Regent provides is a uniform level of service to all guest regardless of Suite accommodation.  Certainly, those who book a "Named Suite" and above get first priority as to additional Special Restaurant seatings. (NO extra charge for these--another significant example of All-Inclusive Fare.)  However, each Suite, regardless of Category, will have one guaranteed booking at each Specialty Restaurant during that cruise segment.   

Lectures:  Yes. Usually attuned to that particular cruise segment as to history of area.  The lecturers have, on the whole, demonstrated first-hand knowledge by having been there.  They are approachable for after-talk chats. We have often extended an invitation to a Lecturer to join us for dinner.  Invitations--both before and after COVID--have been accepted.  

Shows:  Yes, but not a three-ring circus with trapeze acts.  Smaller Stage. Each cruise segment is anecdotal as to guest reviews of quality of singers and dancers--let-alone Cruise Directors.  Hard to generalize, other than there have been very-few clunkers.  True confession: At this "stage" of our lives--have seen the Theater productions, or variations thereof which usually do not begin until 2130H.  A bit-late for us old timers.  

Cuisine:  Very, very subjective.  I am, basically, a meat and potatoes guy; my wife is a gourmet cook.  Great combination for the last 55+ years.  My wife participates in at-least one of the two-hour "Culinary Experience" hands-on cooking classes offered on Explorer, Splendor, and Grandeur.  Learns something new every time.

Regent has maintained quality and consistency in food preparation and presentation.  Ask, in a reasonable manner for something not on the menu--and give Staff time to prepare--expect the response to be:  

"Of course."  Something not-quite right on the dinner (or lunch, or breakfast) plate: Removal and replacement.  Just--be kind in asking.  

Overall:  Ask, in a reasonable manner for any amenity--Response has been:  

"Of course"  

There is an ongoing Thread as to boorish and rude guests who treat Staff as servants in some 19th Century Manor House.  Have reviewed ongoing comments--as we have witnessed these louts not just on Regent--but on every Line we have sailed on.  A shame. The exception, of course; but it does spoil the experience for those who witness such conduct.  

So-----s ending on a positive note:  Other folks will chime in with their thoughts. Because, as always:  YMMV. 

For us:  we vote with our wallet.  No reason to change from Regent.  

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
context
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you GOARMY for your detailed reply. That is the kind of information I need.

We are at the stage of life that we still think cruising is best for us, but just not wanting the family oriented activities that 25 years ago might have interested us.

We are looking at either the lead in balcony or concierge suites. They seem to be of the size of a mini suite on Princess etc.  All inclusive helps too, as coming from Australia our dollar is not strong against a lot of currencies. We are about to go on Cunard again and a bottle of wine is around US60+ so that is a “ouch” moment so to speak. I think we might just give this a go and appreciate all your assist. We have stayed loyal to some cruise lines because of benefits, but I think it might be time to step out of our comfort zone. 

Edited by resordanis

@resordanis welcome to Regent.

Completely agree with the comments by @GOARMY

Your cruising history is not dissimilar to ours.

Several years ago at a Cruise Travel Fair  were persuaded to compare the cost of our latest cruise (QM2 in Queens) with all the associated added expenses with that of Regent. We were very pleasantly surprised! So much so that our next cruise was on Mariner and we loved it!

We became hooked and after our upcoming Christmas cruise on Voyager will be 1 night off Platinum level!

We still cruise with Celebrity occasionally, depending on the itinerary and have just booked our first cruise on Seabourn because we wanted to do an immersive Antarctica trip.

On another note, you live in a fabulous part of the World. We stayed in The Mantra in Port Macquarie last year with our friends from Bundeena and have very fond memories of it.

Which Voyager cruise are you looking at?

LP

Thank you for your reply. I do think it is time we tried another cruise line and this seems to be the perfect fit. The cruise we are currently looking at is Cairns to Bali places we know very well. In fact off to Cairns on Wednesday to see our first grandchild. Bali also we have been too many times but not for 10 years or so. I like it that most that we like is included and everything seems to be taken care of. We certainly don’t need flowriders or dodgem cars at our ages or lots of families (certainly no offence to families either) .Glad you liked Port, we have been here 7 years and enjoy the life. You also live in a nice place the world. Thank you!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, resordanis said:

Another question does Regent offer any military credit for all ex servicemen or servicewomen?

I am both retired military and retired airline. To my knowledge Regent does not give any discount for military.  They have, occasionally, given "interline" discounts for airlines but that has always been on cruises that are not selling well.  

Another comment, for us, we love Regent in every respect.  But we cruise for the itinerary. We were pretty much Royal Caribbean and a few Celebrity cruises.  Now, I love the all inclusive, quiet, relaxing, and for me, luxury of Regent.  It's relatively casual and just a nice, relaxed cruise, especially after a long day in port.  We appreciate the variety of food options.  In Compass Rose, the main restaurant, you can select from the daily specials or from the "left side of the menu" which is a HUGE variety of options that you put together yourself.  From escargot to filet and lobster, any day with sides of your choice.  So on a long cruise it is really nice to be able to eat what you want, and not what the chef thinks you should have. But we've found all the food good to excellent with very few misses in around 120 days of sailing Regent.  Of course I am not a picky eater so....take that as my "grain of salt" on food quality. 

Last comment.  You mentioned a Concierge Cabin.  As a first time cruiser, that is a good idea IF shore excursions and dining reservations are important to you.  The biggest benefit to a Concierge Cabin (other than location on the ship) is early booking for both shore excursions and specialty dining reservations.  Other than that they are no different (a couple other amenities) than a Superior Suite on Explorer, Grandeur, and Splendor, or a deluxe suit on Mariner, Voyager, and Navigator.  So only you can decide if the extra cost is worth the amenities. 

Anyway... hope this gives you another perspective.  😎

resordanis:  

As papaflamingo mentioned, no military credit similar to, for example, Cunard's.  Cunard also goes the extra step of having a Military Vet's recognition gathering incident to one of the Formal Nights.  Neat to see the Commonwealth Vets donned in their individual country's regalia.  Yanks have been welcomed, and we have participated.    

I have, in the past, brought the matter of offering some form of military credit to Regent Management's "attention". To no avail, to date.

Also suggested there be some form of onboard recognition when a cruise segment coincides with a significant historical event. Like, for example: "D-Day". Nothing as elaborate as Cunard's. Not another cocktail party--there are plenty of those already; and all beverages are "included", anyway.  

Management did respond by initiating a "Veterans' Meeting" opportunity once every cruise segment.  These are for Vets, spouses, and family members, Low-key.  Announced in "Passages", These are hosted by the Cruise Director, and/or a Staff Officer for a morning gathering for introductions; followed by breakfast at Compass Rose at set tables.  Or--meeting in one of the Lounges on a sea day for cocktails and conversations prior to dinner.  

Attendance has varied from 18-20--to 4 or five.

It's the thought that counts.  

GOARMY!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I am both retired military and retired airline. To my knowledge Regent does not give any discount for military.  They have, occasionally, given "interline" discounts for airlines but that has always been on cruises that are not selling well.  

Another comment, for us, we love Regent in every respect.  But we cruise for the itinerary. We were pretty much Royal Caribbean and a few Celebrity cruises.  Now, I love the all inclusive, quiet, relaxing, and for me, luxury of Regent.  It's relatively casual and just a nice, relaxed cruise, especially after a long day in port.  We appreciate the variety of food options.  In Compass Rose, the main restaurant, you can select from the daily specials or from the "left side of the menu" which is a HUGE variety of options that you put together yourself.  From escargot to filet and lobster, any day with sides of your choice.  So on a long cruise it is really nice to be able to eat what you want, and not what the chef thinks you should have. But we've found all the food good to excellent with very few misses in around 120 days of sailing Regent.  Of course I am not a picky eater so....take that as my "grain of salt" on food quality. 

Last comment.  You mentioned a Concierge Cabin.  As a first time cruiser, that is a good idea IF shore excursions and dining reservations are important to you.  The biggest benefit to a Concierge Cabin (other than location on the ship) is early booking for both shore excursions and specialty dining reservations.  Other than that they are no different (a couple other amenities) than a Superior Suite on Explorer, Grandeur, and Splendor, or a deluxe suit on Mariner, Voyager, and Navigator.  So only you can decide if the extra cost is worth the amenities. 

Anyway... hope this gives you another perspective.  😎

Thank you for your detailed reply. I agree after all our cruises we would like a different view of cruising or some new destinations. Unfortunately I am not a good flyer anymore, so unless I can afford the extremely high business class flights atm the need to cruise closer to home in the Asia/Pacific region. I am still considering Concierge but it is an extra $2000. Food is important to us. I have got to the stage with Royal Caribbean that I know each nights menu based on the day before we board. I think we need a change.🤔

• Like 2

resordanis:  You put a premium on food?  So does Regent. 

As papaflamingo detailed--Variety is the spice of life.  Compass Rose's everyday menu offers a surfeit of choices.  These include, at dinner, entrees from at-least one of the "Specialty Restaurant" venues.  Just, just in case you had one of those during an earlier visit--ask for it-- again.

Response will be:  "Of course."  This is a reasonable request.  

Want a special dinner--i.e. Indian?  Or, as simple as just ordering Spagette with extra Meat Ball?   Give 24-48 hours' notice. Presented. Really liked that Dover Sole?  No problem.  These are simple, common-sense responses. 

Example of Regent going above and beyond:  Navigator, recent, on a B/t/B:  Upon invitation (unsolicited) from Food & Beverage Manager--met Brandon for a Compass Rose dinner. Just the three of us.  He--from South Africa.  So--special wines.  Brandon quickly recognized my spouse's understanding nuances of French cooking.

Wonderful dinner resulting in follow-up invitation to join him, again, at Compass Rose for as he advised, a "special" South African-themed dinner which he would supervise.    

Of course, responded to that invitation. Over-the-top dinner with another series of South African wines. Delicious.  Most conversations were between Brandon and my spouse discussing preparation of French cuisine. What was I doing?  Observing a series of very-extensive waves crashing against windows.  

Another example of Regent's attention to detail.  

GOARMY!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, resordanis said:

I have got to the stage with Royal Caribbean that I know each nights menu based on the day before we board.

We began our "cruise life" on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas when she was the "queen of Royal Caribbean" (1998). I was a pretty "lowly" First Officer for Delta, had one son in college and the second starting college so we pooled all my money together and booked inside cabins for $750 per person at deeply discounted "interline rates," ...a real bargain at the time! 😱

Anyway, we were hooked on both RCCL and cruising.  Luckily, for us prices came down as competition ramped up. So, we'd cruise once a year in inside cabins...then once a year in outside cabins... then "hit the big time" and went balconies.  Over the years we "moved on" to Junior Suites, Grand Suites, and YES... even Crown Loft Suites!!!!! WOW! 👍👍   

But in 2018 I did my retirement cruise and first Regent cruise.  44 nights on Regent Seven Seas Mariner from Honolulu to Sydney.  It was, like today, all inclusive, small ship, including business class home from Sydney (I paid my own way to Honolulu in Delta One with a big employee discount).  We were hooked.  Not only the wonderful Regent experience, but the longer cruises with spectacular itineraries.  And we have found, that due to the "left side of the menu" in Compass Rose, we never tired of the food. 44 nights and I think I only repeated a few meals and only because I liked them, although the chefs menu probably rolls around more often now based on supply chains and ports visited. The South Pacific is a treasure of fresh seafood..  Oh yeah...one night we "hunkered down" and ordered room service. I had Beef Wellington and a nice red wine. I was very happy! 😊

Anyway, now I cringe at the thought of a big ship.  We did Celebrity in 2021 with friends for New Years and had a great time, but we were in Skysuites (upgraded on board for a great price) and had the use of Luminaire for dining, but still...crowds at bars, etc... 

I suspect you are going to love Regent as much as we do.  At least I hope so.  You'll have a wonderful cruise!  And probably will be hooked like we were. 😎

• Like 6