Alaska

Kevkel4

Looking at booking an Alaska cruise on the Norwegian Joy.   In the description of the cruise on the website, it states,  “cruising by glacier bay”.  Can someone in the know clarify this for me?  TIA

1 hour ago, Kevkel4 said:

Looking at booking an Alaska cruise on the Norwegian Joy.   In the description of the cruise on the website, it states,  “cruising by glacier bay”.  Can someone in the know clarify this for me?  TIA

For a first time cruise to Alaska, it is the preferred itinerary. About 3/4 day in the bay narrated by National Park Service rangers. On the link below, post #148 through #157 has our program and some pics of the bay from a few weeks ago. Only a few cruise lines have paid for entry to the bay. Much much much better than Dawes Glacier and Endicott Arm. 

• Like 1

9 day - June 9, 2025

This cruise does not go to glacier bay. It goes to the Dawes Glacier. The best shore excursion to experience the Dawes Glacier is the Glacier Explorer. A small boat takes you up close and personal with the glacier. 

The problem with Dawes is that ice in the water (ice bergs) often keep the Joy from getting close to the glacier. It could stop 5 miles away or more. If there is heavy ice, it won’t try to go in to see the glacier. 

Post #480 below has some photos of the Dawes. 

2 hours ago, Kevkel4 said:

You are (yet another) victim of NCL's crappy website.  The cruise description most certainly does state:

"Sail round-trip from Seattle to Alaska for 9 days, including an unforgettable day spent cruising by the Glacier Bay."

9-day Cruise to Alaska: Ketchikan, Skagway & Juneau from Seattle, Washington on Norwegian Joy (ncl.com)

However, the itinerary map shows the ship going nowhere near Glacier Bay:

image.png.fe67b1ea6c03a177073c0e196d83cb26.png

Like this!

DSC_6552.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You are (yet another) victim of NCL's crappy website.  The cruise description most certainly does state:

"Sail round-trip from Seattle to Alaska for 9 days, including an unforgettable day spent cruising by the Glacier Bay."

9-day Cruise to Alaska: Ketchikan, Skagway & Juneau from Seattle, Washington on Norwegian Joy (ncl.com)

However, the itinerary map shows the ship going nowhere near Glacier Bay:

image.png.fe67b1ea6c03a177073c0e196d83cb26.png

And if you bother to look at the day by day itinerary there is no mention of Glacier Bay

4 hours ago, zqvol said:

And if you bother to look at the day by day itinerary there is no mention of Glacier Bay

Wow, that's pretty sketchy.  I was always suspicious of that wording - seemed like it should say sailing IN Glacier Bay, not just sailing BY it.  Very ambiguous wording there.  Glad I booked Princess for Alaska!

1 hour ago, Travelling2Some said:

Wow, that's pretty sketchy.  I was always suspicious of that wording - seemed like it should say sailing IN Glacier Bay, not just sailing BY it.  Very ambiguous wording there.  Glad I booked Princess for Alaska!

This itinerary doesn't even sail by Glacier Bay.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kevkel4 said:

Thanks for everyone’s responses, we have decided to booked Princess for our Alaska adventure!

Good choice.  Princess and Holland America have been cruising Alaska longer than the other cruise lines, and they do it right.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone’s responses, we have decided to booked Princess for our Alaska adventure!

You still want to book a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. The National Park Service severely limits the number of cruise ships that can visit the park.  

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

You still want to book a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. The National Park Service severely limits the number of cruise ships that can visit the park.  

Sailing into Glacier Bay is a must. Listening to the Park Ranger narrate is a day I'll never forget.

Living in Seattle, I have cruised to Alaska MANY times and on almost all the lines.  Glacier Bay really should be a priority.  Also, regardless of which line you choose, be sure to look carefully at length of port times, and wether they tender or if you can dig deeper, where they might be berthing and if shuttles are involved.  Holland America and Princess have been sailing these routes the longest and therefore, generally tend to get preference (or have reserved/bought out) the best berths closest to town.  Being able to just walk off easily makes a big difference in the ease of your day in port.  Also, consider which month to sail (if possible). I have sailed every month available on Alaska’s short season and although July and August have more predictable weather the ports have also gotten ridiculously crowded, as have the ships.  I much prefer late May/very early June or even September (after Labor Day) for “less” crowds.  Whatever you choose, since you have time, do your research.  Alaska isn’t as easy or as affordable as say, your random Caribbean cruise, but it’s worth it.

chefchick-  Thanks for all of the great information!  You have hit on a couple of boxes we have checked.  We have booked on Princess, the end of May to beginning of June.  Itinerary includes sailing into Glacier Bay. And yes, know what you mean on the affordable part. 😂. We are planning on flying into Seattle the day before to spend some time touring around  Any great tips or suggestions on any must sees or dos while we are there in Seattle, and also any must sees or dos while in Alaska?  TIA

chefchick-  Thanks for all of the great information!  You have hit on a couple of boxes we have checked.  We have booked on Princess, the end of May to beginning of June.  Itinerary includes sailing into Glacier Bay. And yes, know what you mean on the affordable part. 😂. We are planning on flying into Seattle the day before to spend some time touring around  Any great tips or suggestions on any must sees or dos while we are there in Seattle, and also any must sees or dos while in Alaska?  TIA

Glad you found a good fit.  If you have never been to Seattle before there are the obligatory stops of Pike Place Market and the Space Needle, but it really depends on how much time you have and what your goals are.  Hotels downtown are expensive and not always the greatest places to walk around at night (although don’t let anyone convince you it’s the hell hole the media makes it out to be).  If you are short on time, you might consider staying near the airport and saving a few bucks to spend on your excursions.  I can recommend The Cedarbrook Lodge as a lovely hotel near the airport that doesn’t feel at all like an airport hotel.  The grounds are pretty, the rooms have a Northwest theme and the restaurant is pretty decent.  Not the cheapest, but nothing is in this city.  Hope this helps.