Silver Shadow

cruisinelmo

Hi everyone; my wife and I are considering and researching a fall color cruise of the east coast and Canada on the Silver Shadow. At the moment I have found out the ship was launched in 2000 and had a major refurbishment just before covid hit. I would like your input as to the condition of the ship now ie. is it looking tired etc. Any input would be appreciated.

We just got off her on this same itinerary. The refurbishment was very well done. It did not feel tired at all. To me it looked just as nice as the Dawn (although smaller) . I would not hesitate to sail on her again.  

enjoy! 

Thanks for the quick response, I'm trying to figure out when the trees will be in full color and my estimate is the last week of September or the first week of October. Your comments on my estimate would be appreciated.

We were on the Shadow in July and were pleasantly surprised at the ship's condition.  They really did a nice job when they refurbished the ship.  Our suite was immaculate with everything in working order, including the AC/heating systems and shower.  Public areas were nicer than we remembered them to be a few years ago.  Love the size and guest capacity of this ship because after a few days most of the staff knew and addressed us by name.

Our only complaint (and this applies to other SS ships as well as Shadow) is the veranda furniture.  It is cheap-looking, uncomfortable, and flimsy.  An upgrade across the fleet is needed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nfcu said:

Our only complaint (and this applies to other SS ships as well as Shadow) is the veranda furniture.  It is cheap-looking, uncomfortable, and flimsy.  An upgrade across the fleet is needed.

I would say the same applies to all the outdoor furnishings. They just do not look/feel luxurious at all. A real upgrade is needed in this area. 

On 9/7/2024 at 8:30 AM, cruisinelmo said:

Thanks for the quick response, I'm trying to figure out when the trees will be in full color and my estimate is the last week of September or the first week of October. Your comments on my estimate would be appreciated.

Hi.

We did a Regent cruise last year B2B Montreal to New York to Montreal which departed on September 28th. Montreal was green like in summer while Saguenay was yellow and red, as some maritime destinations. We had some bad weather (hurricane remnants) that changed some destinations and in Quebec city on the return, almost all the leaves were on the ground.  One suggestion would be to google the fall color period for this year and maybe plan accordingly like this address: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj58s3MybSIAxXMEmIAHb4gFcwQFnoECAcQBQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftravel.usnews.com%2Ffeatures%2Ffall-in-new-england-when-and-where-to-go&usg=AOvVaw3RfX1CAgv7ZFGAfo8AKJ4H&opi=89978449

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much, very helpful. I must make a confession, we lived in Michigan for a total of 35 years and tracking fall colors starting in the northern part to the southern part of the state seems to be similar to the New England states. Didn't know what affect if any the ocean made.

We did fall foliage trip in 2022 and we went end of September. It was beautiful in Quebec, but unfortunately we hit a major storm after Boston, so we missed a lot of the stops. 

I would say end Sept early October would be good for foliage at least in Canada

• Like 1