Labadee Status?

On 9/9/2024 at 3:18 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I find it highly unlikely that RCI sent out the wrong e-mail to thousands of passengers.

I am reminded of the $28 drink package of 2020.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, BillOh said:

I am reminded of the $28 drink package of 2020.

I think back in 2019 the deluxe drink package was $18 for a short time on several cruises. Someone may recall it better than I can since I didn’t see that price for any cruises I had booked at the time. 

2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think back in 2019 the deluxe drink package was $18 for a short time on several cruises. Someone may recall it better than I can since I didn’t see that price for any cruises I had booked at the time. 

It was mainly for sailings in 2020 and most didn't get to take advantage as their sailings were cancelled due to COVID. 

• Like 1

We r on Adventure of seas first ship back to Haiti. Hope we at least dock so we can see the port. And stretch our legs. We already planned to stay on ship and watch the afternoon movie...but if we end up somewhere else not a big deal.

Updated Haiti travel advisory.  I think I'd consider staying on the ship too.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/haiti-travel-advisory.html

"

Updated to reflect additional information on crime.

Do not travel to Haiti due to kidnapping, crime, civil unrest, and limited health care."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

It was mainly for sailings in 2020 and most didn't get to take advantage as their sailings were cancelled due to COVID. 

You are both right, it happened in 2019 for cruises scheduled for 2020 and it was $18 per day,  I bought it for my 9 day cruise that didn't happen.   

1 hour ago, RW_MI said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/haiti-travel-advisory.html

"

Do not travel to Haiti due to kidnapping, crime, civil unrest, and limited health care."

If we are there, I don' think staying on the ship would be any safer. If militants wanted to overrun the island and possibly take hostages, they would certainly head for the ship,

1 hour ago, RW_MI said:

"

So basically the same as Haiti has been for the last 20 years.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm pushing 76, and I can't remember a time when it wasn't like this. And I go all the way back to Papa Doc Duvalier's reign from the late 50's into the early 70's👴

• Like 2

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Haiti is a failed state and basket case. President was assassinated. National police is on the run from armed gangs. Law and order don't exist. Central government exists mostly in name only. Many basic services are barely functioning if at all. These are all facts. And yet you and a few others keep insisting the country is safe to visit. Why? Because Labadee is untouchable?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The error happened July 1 2019 (Canada day) for a few hours

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sfaaa said:

And yet you and a few others keep insisting the country is safe to visit. Why? Because Labadee is untouchable?

No, but because the alternative would have us all sitting in the corner of our basement rocking back and forth and mumbling about tooth picks. Life is for living, not for hiding.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Haiti is a failed state and basket case. President was assassinated. National police is on the run from armed gangs. Law and order don't exist. Central government exists mostly in name only. Many basic services are barely functioning if at all. These are all facts. And yet you and a few others keep insisting the country is safe to visit. Why? Because Labadee is untouchable?

The country isn't safe to visit. Labadee is.

The same reason no one bats an eye at visiting Roatan, despite Honduras being quite unsafe.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 2funtime said:

Will RCCL continue with their stop they just announced?  

We are on a B3B on Adventure departing on 9/27 and returning on 10/19. Our Labadee stop is on 10/8 on the 6 night middle leg. So far RCL has modified the port schedule on our last leg (10/11-10/19) twice so they have had numerous opportunities to adjust the middle leg if they felt there were any issues that would make Labadee unsafe for us.

On 9/20/2024 at 7:10 AM, RW_MI said:

"

Sounds like Chicago. 

• Haha 1

Can see both sides of this. If there is a contingent looking to make their cause known and grab attention for something that has been languishing for years, going after a cruise ship will garner world attention and an immediate response from outside nations (well hopefully so for those on the cruise). 

Odds of something is very remote, but if something does happen it will be catastrophic for all involved.  

It's a risk/reward situation. Which I think both are on the lower end of the scales.  

My itinerary is going to Labadee in December. Been there twice, no issue if it's missed. 

18 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:
On 9/21/2024 at 8:20 PM, Tree_skier said:

Sounds like Chicago. 

On 9/21/2024 at 8:44 PM, orville99 said:

Or San Francisco.

Or Detroit.

Or Lake City, Belle Glade, Riviera Beach, and Cocoa.

Warnings and insurance

Still current at:
23 September 2024
Updated:
3 September 2024
Latest update:
Updated information that State of Emergency in parts of Port-au-Prince will last until 19 September ('Warnings and insurance' page).
FCDO__TA__019_-_Haiti_Travel_Advice_Ed2_ Download a more detailed map (PDF)

Your travel insurance could be invalidated if you travel against advice from the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO). Consular support is also severely limited where FCDO advises against travel.

FCDO advises against all travel to Haiti  

FCDO advises against all travel to Haiti due to the volatile security situation. There are currently no British consular officials in Haiti and our ability to provide consular assistance is severely limited and cannot be delivered in person in Haiti.