New to CPAP and Cruising

We leave Saturday for a cruise on Icon, and after months of playing the insurance game I'm set to receive a CPAP machine tomorrow. My initial plan was to wait until after the cruise so I could get used to the machine before traveling with it, but apparently insurance has some strict minimum usage requirements to prove that it's actually necessary, so taking it on the cruise it is.

I already know I'll need to fill out the stateroom request form 3 days before sailing to request distilled water and an extension cord. Is there anything else I need to know or any tips/suggestions that other CPAP users may have for me? I'm completely new to CPAP, so no tip or suggestion from more familiar users is too obvious or stupid to be valuable. 

Get a cheap, basic, 3 (or 6) foot two prong extension cord. Most have 2-3 outlets at the end.  Put it in your CPAP case.  IF Royal takes it, it only costs $5 or so.  

Get some magnetic hooks.  We've used magnetic hooks to restring electrical cables to where the outlets are.  These were perfect... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MMH51DF?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder_k0_1_9&amp=&crid=2LSMGOE20XFZP&amp=&sprefix=magnetic+

• Like 2

All we ever do for ours is the special needs form. If the water and cord aren't there when the room is ready, inform the stateroom attendant and they will bring it up shortly. On our Harmony sailing, there was a plug on one side of the bed and if we didn't have 2, we wouldn't have needed the extension cord. Mine does connect to bluetooth to upload to the doctor to prove usage, so plan to connect to data or internet when possible, so insurance doesn't lose their minds. You may also want to let the doctor know there might be a delay in information due to travel.

• Like 1

I fill out the form online from special needs for Hubby……but most of the time our room steward doesn’t get notified  so we just ask him for distilled water and cord when we see him.  A few ships have an outlet by the bed, but for those that don’t I also always bring a lot of strong magnets so the cord is draped on the ceiling over to the outlet on the desk. 

• Like 1

You won't need an extension cord on Icon.

Filling out the form requesting distilled water is a 50-50 shot; it doesn't hurt, I guess.  After five years of primarily dry failures, I gave up.  Just ask your cabin attendant on the first afternoon.  RCI usually supplies a one-gallon container, enough for about 30 days.

Just be aware. Use the supplied travel case. The airlines and RCI consider it medical equipment. Do not pack it in your checked luggage.  

Good luck with your transition.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cruise4Jesus said:

No need to bring a cord, like others have said the ship will provide you a cord and distilled water. Definitely move the mattress and look behind the bed as on some ships there is an outlet back there but hidden.

It is more that it is illegal to bring a cord and you risk having your bags confiscated. 

3 hours ago, awestover89 said:

I already know I'll need to fill out the stateroom request form 3 days before sailing to request distilled water and an extension cord. Is there anything else I need to know or any tips/suggestions that other CPAP users may have for me? I'm completely new to CPAP, so no tip or suggestion from more familiar users is too obvious or stupid to be valuable. 

Your doctor would advise hand carrying your CPAP. 

I fly 3-6 times a month and cruise 6+ times a year. I have never, ever hand carried my CPAP. It is always in my checked luggage. I don't need the extra bulk or weight of lugging a CPAP around an airport or onto/off of a cruise ship. But, that's just me. I have used a CPAP for a long time. 

1 hour ago, steveru621 said:

You won't need an extension cord on Icon.

Filling out the form requesting distilled water is a 50-50 shot; it doesn't hurt, I guess.  After five years of primarily dry failures, I gave up.  Just ask your cabin attendant on the first afternoon.  RCI usually supplies a one-gallon container, enough for about 30 days.

Just be aware. Use the supplied travel case. The airlines and RCI consider it medical equipment. Do not pack it in your checked luggage.  

Good luck with your transition.

Hubby uses the case it came in, but I also bought a tag that says “ Medical Equipment “ that I attached to his case. That allows him to carryon 3 things, because medical equipment isn’t considered a carryon.

• Like 1

I've never used water with my CPAP. I use it year round, and I find that using it without the humidifier is fine for me. It's one less thing to clean and be concerned about.

You could possibly try going without the humidifier first, especially since it's summer and the air already has a decent amount of humidity.

Have a great cruise!!!

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It is more that it is illegal to bring a cord and you risk having your bags confiscated. 

So are Rum runners but there's been plenty of suggestions over the years for them.  

The extension cord I'm referring to is only a two prong (no ground), and even if not need for the "extension" part, is helpful because there are usually 2-4 extra outlets at the end.  So you get benefit from that.  

I would NOT put a CPAP in checked luggage, even at the port.  It's as needed as medications, laptops, cameras, etc.  Yes, the odds of it getting lost, left behind, or heaven forbid going into the water are slim, but are >0.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Your doctor would advise hand carrying your CPAP. 

I fly 3-6 times a month and cruise 6+ times a year. I have never, ever hand carried my CPAP. It is always in my checked luggage. I don't need the extra bulk or weight of lugging a CPAP around an airport or onto/off of a cruise ship. But, that's just me. I have used a CPAP for a long time. 

I've been a CPAP/BiPAP user for just about 20 years. ALWAYS hand carry it. What happens on that occasion that your checked bag doesn't make it? It's never even a thought to put it in my checked bag. In the US, the bag isn't considered a personal or carry-on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So are Rum runners but there's been plenty of suggestions over the years for them.  

The extension cord I'm referring to is only a two prong (no ground), and even if not need for the "extension" part, is helpful because there are usually 2-4 extra outlets at the end.  So you get benefit from that.  

I would NOT put a CPAP in checked luggage, even at the port.  It's as needed as medications, laptops, cameras, etc.  Yes, the odds of it getting lost, left behind, or heaven forbid going into the water are slim, but are >0.  

The airlines managed to mangle 2 separate car seats. One was unable to be used and we had to wait at the airport, while a new one was purchased. No way am I letting luggage handlers take anything super important/expensive. We used a rolling carry on for the ship that we put both CPAPS, a couple of books, and all of our mini-pharmacy. My husband handled that, while me and each kid had a backpack with electronics and the required just in case change of clothes. We will do the same for our upcoming sailing. This way there is no concern of it being broken or not arriving at all.

• Like 1

I've watched too many bags be handle very very roughly to take the chance that I would put it in checked luggage.  I know I can put it in the center and pack around it but why take the chance.  It is small and easy for me to carry and not much of an inconvenience.  I'm sure other have had success but that kind of risk is above my comfort level. 

Great points by many here. I have purchased my own extension cord and used it on our last 2 sailings with no issue, combining it with the magnetic hooks and being able to run it along the ceiling out of the way is so much smoother than the RC cord running on the ground. I also have no fears of it being confiscated, on the off chance it is it will cost less than $20 to replace. The extra outlets and USB ports on the cord make phone charging and everything else around the bed easier too. I recommend, like others, that you carry the CPAP separately in it's own bag for multiple reasons: it's considered a medical device so it doesn't count as a personal item or carry-on, on top of that it means it doesn't have to take up valuable space in your other luggage, the safety of having it with you if your other luggage is lost, and the security of knowing it's not going to be broken or mishandled by baggage carriers.

General CPAP tips related to the device itself are try it with both water and without, the wife and I both started using water and the humidifier day 1 but now neither of us use water anymore and prefer it dry. Sure you'll wake up with a dry mouth every now and again when the seal is really good that night, but that's a minor issue. Try different mask styles out, I am a mouth breather so the full face covering nose and mouth works best for me, my wife uses the smaller version that just covers nose only, many people love the nose pillows which is the smallest mask out there, find what's comfortable for you. Don't get discouraged, for the entire first month I hated mine and could hardly ever use it the full night like I was supposed to, but something finally clicked and I figured out what worked for me and now can't sleep without it. A big help for me is that mine has what they call a ramp button that you can push and it cuts the initial pressure in half from what it's settings are and then gradually ramps up the pressure over a half hour until it's at full pressure. This button is invaluable to me and is what allows me to fall asleep so easily every night, the full pressure can cause small leaks that are annoying if you're trying to fall asleep but unnoticeable if you are already asleep.

19 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I fill out the form online from special needs for Hubby……but most of the time our room steward doesn’t get notified  so we just ask him for distilled water and cord when we see him.  A few ships have an outlet by the bed, but for those that don’t I also always bring a lot of strong magnets so the cord is draped on the ceiling over to the outlet on the desk. 

This is your best answer.  

Some ships will have a plug by the bed but only the newer ships do.

If you fly your cpap case does not count as a carry on.  Just be sure you have it marked with a medical tag like the ones you can find on Amazon. We carry in it an extension plug, not a cord, that we can also plug a usb into so my sound machine can be by the bed too. The magnets work great for the cord on the older ships and keep it off the floor so we don’t trip over it in the night. 

Firstly hope you have a great cruise.

Secondly, its always nice to.learn something new. Never heard of CPAP machines and why people need them. Not something that you hear much about on other cruise line forums i have been on. Or not that i have noticed. So i had to use the old google web to see what one was and for. 

Hope you get on well with it and it helps with your needs. 👍

6 hours ago, awestover89 said:

Thanks all. Seems like it will be quite a bit simpler than I'm worrying about. Thankfully we are driving to the port, so at least don't have to worry about airports and planes this time around. 

yep, your main concern will be just getting used to sleeping with the CPAP itself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

This is your best answer.  

Some ships will have a plug by the bed but only the newer ships do.

If you fly your cpap case does not count as a carry on.  Just be sure you have it marked with a medical tag like the ones you can find on Amazon. We carry in it an extension plug, not a cord, that we can also plug a usb into so my sound machine can be by the bed too. The magnets work great for the cord on the older ships and keep it off the floor so we don’t trip over it in the night. 

I've taken almost 200 flights with my CPAP.  No medical tag.  I think I've been asked once by a gate agent "is that medical?".  I travel with a carryon, my backpack, and the CPAP.  So plainly three items.  

Edited by S.A.M.J.R.
  • Like 1

Enjoy your cruise!

I found that a cruise was the perfect opportunity to get acclimated to newly using a CPAP. I got mine right before a 10 day Panama Canal cruise on the Island Princess in 2009. Taking a few days to get used to it? Sleep in. It's not like have have to get up early and go somewhere...