Thoughts on using FF miles for airline tickets

vesw01

I am thinking of booking my tickets for our Sept. cruise. I am thinking of using my FF miles- the tickets are running $268. We used our FF miles to go to Hawaii at Thanksgiving - which was obviously more bang for the buck. We don't fly enough to earn enough miles for tickets, we use a debit card which gives us 1 mile for every $2. The flight times are good and yes I can use them for these flights (I already checked).

Is anyone a big FF user and if so, are you having trouble using them for tickets?

I keep hearing that they are becoming harder and harder to use and I am afraid that once again they may raise the # of miles you need to get a ticket and then we will be knocked out again (did I just talk myself into using them??)

Any thoughts or suggestions??

BTW we are thinking of going to Disney next year before Xmas and we aren't sure if we are flying or driving so we could use them there.

I am thinking of booking my tickets for our Sept. cruise. I am thinking of using my FF miles- the tickets are running $268. We used our FF miles to go to Hawaii at Thanksgiving - which was obviously more bang for the buck. We don't fly enough to earn enough miles for tickets, we use a debit card which gives us 1 mile for every $2. The flight times are good and yes I can use them for these flights (I already checked).

Is anyone a big FF user and if so, are you having trouble using them for tickets?

I keep hearing that they are becoming harder and harder to use and I am afraid that once again they may raise the # of miles you need to get a ticket and then we will be knocked out again (did I just talk myself into using them??)

They are getting harder and harder to use. Hawaii FF tickets are very hard unless you book them very very early (leaving this Friday for Hawaii....could not find a flight so had to pay for this ticket). We are though using ours (Delta) for our May cruise. In order to use them we are flying down a day early (always do this) but are having to stay over a day and return on Monday as the Saturday and Sunday slots are hard to come by (on the Sky Saver 25,000 mile requirement.....we didn't have enough to even consider the Sky Choice 50,000). Since Delta is on somewhat shakey ground, we decided to go ahead and use them rather than risk possibly losing them. They saved us almost $ 1400.00 (4 tickets).

Ladyspoilt

That's great. I think we decided to go ahead and use what we had. I am not going to worry about next year...might as well save money while I can. We can get the Sat. before (we want to fly down early with it being hurricane season - be safe than sorry) and can get the afternoon flight home on Sunday... so that saves us some $$ by not having to pay for another day at the hotel.

The problem I run into is the dates I want are never available. So rather than flying in on Friday, I have to fly in on Wednesday, Thursday or Saturday... which isn't always an option. If you want to fly in when you want, it'll cost double the miles (I generally only fly AA, so that is the case there). SWA has a pretty good program and I've been lucky to get the flight I want using rewards most of the time. If you can find the flight you want, and it's not blacked out, by all means... use them!!!!

Another thing. On the news just this morning they said that most FF tickets were gone for the summer and you'd better start thinking now for the holidays. If you found a flight that is available and works for you, I'd say go ahead and use them. But decide soon before it's not available any more.

I was able to get one ticket coming in on Sat. and then leaving on the following Sunday after the cruise. I went ahead and paid for the second ticket - it would have cost me more to transfer miles between accounts then the tickets (plus we had a voucher for some $ off). We were able to get two tickets then from Chicago to Miami for $240

I think we got great flight times too (all non stop)

Sept 23 9am arrive Mia 1pm

Oct 1 leave Mia at 340 pm (we are going to do the everglades tour) arrive Chicago 7pm (the only other nonstop at 705am)

I am feeling pretty good about this one. So far the cruise is under $1200 with air, cruise, rental car and hotel for 2 ppl (7 nights on Valor E. Carib).

any thoughts on this??

I am thinking of booking my tickets for our Sept. cruise. I am thinking of using my FF miles- the tickets are running $268.

I wouldn't use them on such a cheap flight. Save them for the big ones. My DH works in Thousand Oaks, California and we live in Montana so he has a ton of FF miles. All five of us are flying to Miami in 10 days for free. From Montana, airline costs are $550+ to Miami. It was NOT easy to get them like in the past either. They have different grades of FF tickets. Some are 25,000 (not many available) and some are (I believe) 40,000, which they have more of (of course). We booked 6 months ago so we lucked out. But, it is really getting on my nerves how hard it is to use these when you want to.

I was lucky... I was able to get the tickets for the 25000 miles. I figured might as well, who knows what will happen next year. My aunt said her rule was somewhere around $300. At this point we are foster parents and have 5 kids so flying anywhere would be so SUPER expensive. We are talking about doing to Disney is Dec 07 and may have to drive (I swore I would never do that) b/c flying would be too much and we don't know what kids we may or may not have so we can't book ahead.

We used our Delta miles for 4 round trip tickets to Alaska last July for a Spirit cruise and then to California a few weeks ago for the Pride and now have 3 round trip reserved for October.

I hate to fly to a cruise. And with the Delta pilots issues still not settled, I would not use points on any flights before July (or until I knew the "issues" had been settled).

We were sitting on pins and needles for our Pride cruise not knowing if the Delta pilots would walk out before, during or after our cruise a few weeks ago.

However, if you are talking September, October or later, I would not be concerned, because you are still in the Cancellation window on your cruise if you don't want to pay airfare.

Fortunately, our October cruise is one we can drive to if we have to. So I am not feeling as stressed. But that last one to California was way to stressful for me.

Also, Delta used to have 25,000 tickets routinely. Now most are 50,000.

I understand and have no problem with that since they are trying to stay solvent....as long as they keep flying.

I used Continental miles and Mariott reward points (for cruise) for my wife and I for our may8th glory cruise. flying in sunday am out sunday pm. No issues at all very painless. Just a tip...trying to use FF miles to non exotic locations try booking on less hevy travel days or times. Sunday late flight and Monday morning are very heavy as is Thursday any time with busisnes travelrs. tues, wed and early sunday are the best chance to get the trip for the fewest miles. Like anything else you need to be flexable with days and more importantly times

To OP:

If you are lucky enough to find dates and flights that you can actually use your FF miles I would use them even if you don't get the most "bang for the buck". I have enough miles on one carrier for a few freebies but can never seem to find seats for dates I want to travel.

I have an AA mastercard and the rule in our house is... if it's over $10.00 - charge it.

We are going on the Valor in June and bought an airline ticket for $189.00 and upgraded to first class with miles.

We are going to Alaska in September with Princess and used miles to purchase 2 round trip first class tickets to Anchorage and coming back from Vancouver.

I usually use mine to upgrade from coach to first class on long flights. I have gone to Hawaii (twice) and Scotland in first class using miles.

It works for me.

I have an AA mastercard and the rule in our house is... if it's over $10.00 - charge it.

We are going on the Valor in June and bought an airline ticket for $189.00 and upgraded to first class with miles.

We are going to Alaska in September with Princess and used miles to purchase 2 round trip first class tickets to Anchorage and coming back from Vancouver.

I usually use mine to upgrade from coach to first class on long flights. I have gone to Hawaii (twice) and Scotland in first class using miles.

It works for me.

You are so going to love Alaska!!!! I am jealous...I want to go back!!!!

Archived