Port or Starboard

Born2Sea

Unless you are on Coral or Island, you will be using the new locks.  The workings for them will be on your starboard side going in.  But you should want to be moving around during the transit.  The best place to view on the Grand class is the wraparound promenade deck, especially all the way forward…or the observation area above the bridge. Promenade will be best if it rains.  
Just down the page is my thread ‘Look who’s in the canal today’.  Scroll through and you will see multiple pics of Princess ships in the Agua Clara locks, captured from the Panama Canal webcams.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

If you are doing a partial transit, you will see one side going in, and the other side coming out, so side of the ship doesn't matter.

That being said, the last place you want to be is in your cabin. You want to be out and about looking at the whole process from different parts of the ship. As mentioned, promenade deck for at least one lock. Bow (if available) for a lock or two. 

When I had this question, I read that going East to West, port side is better. Starboard for the opposite direction. This had less to do with transiting the locks --- which is just one day of the cruise after all -- but because of other things including sunsets on the trip once you are through the locks.

2 hours ago, MacMadame said:

When I had this question, I read that going East to West, port side is better. Starboard for the opposite direction. This had less to do with transiting the locks --- which is just one day of the cruise after all -- but because of other things including sunsets on the trip once you are through the locks.

But the OP is doing a partial transit...so a complete circle. So the sunsets will be on one side going, and the other side coming back.

• Like 1