Volendam 8 million dollar docking period October 2024

Alphen

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thanks-I believe you are correct and based on the limited input I have, it appears making the ship more ADA compliant is the major objective of this Dry dock.

Yah!!!. 

Still, not a modernization  or upgrade  of the whole ship.

29 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Yah!!!. 

Notwithstanding the impracticality of such an undertaking, I can’t see where anyone has suggested an $8mil budget would include such.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Notwithstanding the impracticality of such an undertaking, I can’t see where anyone has suggested an $8mil budget would include such.

I seem to recall some people saying that it was an upgrade. That's  why I cited the NCL example of what could be done with $80m. Clearly,  it is an impossibility if the revenue stream doesn't justify the modernization of a 25-year ship.

7 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

I seem to recall some people saying that it was an upgrade. That's  why I cited the NCL example of what could be done with $80m. Clearly,  it is an impossibility if the revenue stream doesn't justify the modernization of a 25-year ship.

The only issue here is whatever HAL might or might not do, is ever going to meet your definition of what needs to be done? I doubt it.

Historically HAL has put their ships into drydock earlier in the standard and required maintenance schedules, rather than later, compared to other cruise lines. (Yes, I know Covid has messed with the every 30 months schedule HAL has followed for decades.) Perhaps the reasons other cruise lines are spending more is less frequently done dry docks, bigger ships, lessor budgets on previous drydocks, and a few other reasons. We have already noted a 50% larger ship will likely cost more to maintain. And not a "slight" amount.

But, no, the automatic assumption is HAL is collapsing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Yah!!!. 

CCL owned lines refurb, not remodel. They are not going to "modernize" the ship. Any work they do will keep the same look and feel. They may change venues. 

CCL lines change decor very slowly when new ships are built.  So they have no need to do what Celebrity id doing Apexing the Constellation.

8 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The only issue here is whatever HAL might or might not do, is ever going to meet your definition of what needs to be done? I doubt it.

Historically HAL has put their ships into drydock earlier in the standard and required maintenance schedules, rather than later, compared to other cruise lines. (Yes, I know Covid has messed with the every 30 months schedule HAL has followed for decades.) Perhaps the reasons other cruise lines are spending more is less frequently done dry docks, bigger ships, lessor budgets on previous drydocks, and a few other reasons. We have already noted a 50% larger ship will likely cost more to maintain. And not a "slight" amount.

But, no, the automatic assumption is HAL is collapsing.

HAL and Princess and Cunard and for that matter even Carnival do not do massive remodels such as ncl and celebrity. The purposes of those remodels are to give their older shios a similar look and feel as their new ships. Celebrity is basically Apexing the older ships. Royal follows the same blue print.

Carnival lines, even when they have transferred ships between lines do very little remodeling. They refurbish, they fix, but do not change. Their remodeling is limited to moving or changing individual venues. 

8 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Actually most said it was not an upgrade  mostly in response to posts about NCL and Celebrity major remodeling of two of their old ship to give them the same look and feel of their new ships.

Work done will be mostly refurbishment plus some select improvements.

In spite of your constant search and claims HAL is failing, it is consistent with Carnival owned lines and their practices 

• Like 1

Earlier in this stream there was some discussion of reliability of older vs newer ships. Have another example of a relatively new ship, Icon of the Seas, having to cancel a cruise due to the need for unscheduled maintenance/repairs.

Edited by TRLD

On 9/17/2024 at 9:21 AM, Fred321 said:

Library is in the perfect spot now. 

And that, my friend, is why it will be moved.  I used to think the Crow's Nest (on most of the HAL vessels) was a near-perfect venue.  And then somebody made a decision to screw it up!  Perhaps it is a HAL philosophy that if it "ain't broke we will fix it!"

Hank