Corkage Fee

Cruzinram

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I make fun of the sommelier in Luminae on the Beyond for offering me wine from Lodi.  I did recently buy a Lodi Zinfandel.  But I have never seen another Lodi wine on any of the wine lists anywhere on the ship.  Will I get a surprise when I board Millie in 3 months?

I hope there isn’t any wine from Virginia onboard because I poured out a bottle of it in my backyard today.  North Carolina forever!

And Go Bills!!! - it’s time to take care of business!

Voyage, Voyage!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Well on Princess the corkage fee is $20.  You can bring more than 2 bottles of wine onboard, you just pay the $20 corkage fee for each bottle over 2...  I am not sure why Celebrity is twice as expensive?

Greed, willing gullible customers, capatilism…

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Liao said:

Greed, willing gullible customers, capatilism…

Personally I can't see that lasting too long. Perhaps an unsuspecting guest who's not aware of the increase may pay it the first time but most guests won't.  They will possibly come up with something else.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Well on Princess the corkage fee is $20.  You can bring more than 2 bottles of wine onboard, you just pay the $20 corkage fee for each bottle over 2...  I am not sure why Celebrity is twice as expensive?

Princess has a better all inclusive price as well. $60 dollars a day buys you a lot of extras including drinks and wifi. I wonder how long they will be able to offer this at that price.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Princess has a better all inclusive price as well. $60 dollars a day buys you a lot of extras including drinks and wifi. I wonder how long they will be able to offer this at that price.  

If they find Celebrity is getting away with inflated corkage fees they may very well raise their prices. Princess internet is also 50% off at least for me and its always been fast.  I do one Princess cruise every January to break up the winter. 

1 minute ago, drakes2 said:

If they find Celebrity is getting away with inflated corkage fees they may very well raise their prices. Princess internet is also 50% off at least for me and its always been fast.  I do one Princess cruise every January to break up the winter. 

Princess was late to the all inclusive party. I just hope they don't remove gratuity from the package. I made the switch from Princess to Celebrity during the 123 Go/ Pick your Perk days. Now I just bounce back and forth depending on the price and itinerary. 

12 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Princess was late to the all inclusive party. I just hope they don't remove gratuity from the package. I made the switch from Princess to Celebrity during the 123 Go/ Pick your Perk days. Now I just bounce back and forth depending on the price and itinerary. 

I was on a 10 night Panama canal cruise this past January with Princess at half the price of Celebrity same week similar itinerary. Love the International Cafe with a huge variety of breakfast and lunch selections. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I was on a 10 night Panama canal cruise this past January with Princess at half the price of Celebrity same week similar itinerary. Love the International Cafe with a huge variety of breakfast and lunch selections. 

I booked Princess last month for a 2026 Mediterranean cruise. Celebrity hasn't even release anything that far out yet. I got 40%off $99 refundable deposit and 3rd guest free so we invited our son to come along. I doubt Celebrity will beat that.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

On Princess is that the only option for breakfast or lunch?

26 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

MDR breakfast daily, lunch on sea days or you have the buffet for breakfast and lunch, Trident grill for burgers, dogs, BBQ items or Pizza. 

I suppose there is also room service or a coffee shop?  I imagine the MDR is too slow if you have a morning excursion?

I found a Japan cruise on Princess that might be interesting.

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I suppose there is also room service or a coffee shop?  I imagine the MDR is too slow if you have a morning excursion?

I found a Japan cruise on Princess that might be interesting.

Continental breakfast is free to the room. However there is a room service charge for meals if you don't have the plus or premium packages that include drinks, WiFi, gratuity,  and a few other things.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

On Princess is that the only option for breakfast or lunch?

No there is the MDR but don't always want a big meal especially at lunch. The International Cafe has many options and they make great sandwiches. 

30 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I imagine the MDR is too slow if you have a morning excursion

Once went to main dining room for breakfast and was solo at the table they forgot about me nearly missed an excursion. I complained to the maitre D about it as people who arrived after me had been served. Everything was great after that. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2024 at 2:17 PM, drakes2 said:

One of my favorite wines is Austin Hope cab but its at a high price point. Just purchased his new one called Austin Paso Robles. It's delicious also a cab from a different region tastes as good at 1/3 the price. 

We love Austin Hope , but it sells for about 60 a bottle, one of my favorite Italian restaurants had a special all wines 70 or under was half off. They had Austin Hope at 70 , best deal o ever saw in a restaurant. They do have some restaurants that are byob and no corkage but normally lower end pizza type.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2024 at 5:46 AM, canderson said:

No wine purchased through Celebrity is subject to corkage.  That said, their online price and selection for the pre-cruise purchased wine means that this isn't anything I'd spend any money on in advance if it was for myself

Here's what I'm seeing for pre-cruise with their 'discounts':

Decoy Cabernet, $63.00 > $55.99 (10%)

Mer Soleil Chardonnay, $68.00 > $60.99 (10%)

La Crema Pinot Noir, $50.00 > $44.99 (10%)

Corte Giara Pinot Grigio, $40.00 > $35.99 (10%)

Villa Maria "Private Bin" Sauvignon Blanc, $50 > $43.99 (11%)

Even a 'Classic' member gets the same 10% discount buying aboard, and 'Select' and above can all do better than this aboard (15 or 20%).

Much better prices at Black Friday sale, looking forward already to stock up. The La Crema Pinot is one of my favorites. 

Actually I usually have a mix of Celebrity pre paid wines that are delivered to the cabin and my own wines. Uncorking is done in the room. I was never asked to pay the corkage fee in the MDR. 

5 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

The La Crema Pinot is one of my favorites. 

La Crema makes several Pinot Noirs my favorite being the one from the Russian River Valley but I haven't seen it listed on their wine menu since pre covid.  Now they just seem to carry the one from Sonoma.

On 9/21/2024 at 7:25 AM, Kordy said:

Is it really OK to take a plastic water bottle filled with wine out at a table and pour it into your glass at your table?   Do people feel comfortable doing that?

PS. I know that, in a restaurant in New York City, if you did this this to save on drinks, they would almost walk you out lol

The plastic water bottle of wine is a little over the top.  But I wouldn't hesitate to open the bottle in my room, have a glass before dinner, and then take a full glass with me to dinner.

The restaurant analogy doesn't apply.  There is nothing wrong with grabbing a drink at a bar and taking it to the dining room with you.  You obviously wouldn't grab a drink at a bar next door and then take it to another restaurant for dinner.  People certainly do get a drink at the bar in the restaurant and take it to their table. 

$42 for corkage is crazy. No way I would pay that. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kordy said:

there is a small class of rich people who won’t care about paying $42 for corkage and would not even notice such a charge.  

Rich or not nobody wants to be taken.  People work hard for their money and have a limit as how much we will bear.