Corkage Fee

Cruzinram

36 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

The problem with carrying drinks around on a ship is that they invariably spill some of the drink as they walk causing slippery pathways or stained carpets.    Especially common after a few drinks or in less than calm seas.  

The best invention in the world is stemless wine glasses.  I woke up one day unable to hold anything with a stem.  Medication has helped a lot.  But it’s not perfect and when I’m toasting across the table I sometimes have to use two hands.

27 minutes ago, highway180 said:

You will fit right in with all those HH customers, dragging their free drinks into the dining room as well.

Cheers

I don't see any issue with this. It's not any different than me doing the same with a drink package. They earned those drinks. If Celebrity had a problem with it they would switch over to the coupon system limiting the number of drinks like their sister company Royal Caribbean does.

4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I don't see any issue with this. It's not any different than me doing the same with a drink package. They earned those drinks. If Celebrity had a problem with it they would switch over to the coupon system limiting the number of drinks like their sister company Royal Caribbean does.

Coupons?  For elites or for everyone?  

5 hours ago, Kordy said:

Yes, but at some point in their lives, when they're closer to death and retired and their bank accounts are full-of-money, they realise, they have no more reasons to be really frugal, but to finally start enjoying their life.  At that point, a $42 corkage fee is the least of their worries - they don't know how much time they have left and they want to enjoy life.

You can save all the money all your life, by being frugal, but when you get rich and you realize you're getting older, there is not much money you can take into your grave with you.  You might as well enjoy life... splurge 🙂

Yes indeed.

1 hour ago, highway180 said:

You will fit right in with all those HH customers, dragging their free drinks into the dining room as well.

Cheers

Not really free; we've earned those drinks from all the cruises we've paid for. Like the old saying goes 'no such thing as a free lunch.'  

3 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Not really free; we've earned those drinks from all the cruises we've paid for. Like the old saying goes 'no such thing as a free lunch.'  

Yes

I'm fully aware 

Too bad the wine served during the HH is barely drinkable.

we are Elite plus and haven't bothered with the "free" wine in many years, last time was when you were issued coupons for HH drinks., and it was less than enjoyable to say the least.

Life is too short to drink crummy wine

Cheers

5 hours ago, Kordy said:

Yes, but at some point in their lives, when they're closer to death and retired and their bank accounts are full-of-money, they realise, they have no more reasons to be really frugal, but to finally start enjoying their life.  At that point, a $42 corkage fee is the least of their worries - they don't know how much time they have left and they want to enjoy life.

You can save all the money all your life, by being frugal, but when you get rich and you realize you're getting older, there is not much money you can take into your grave with you.  You might as well enjoy life... splurge 🙂

3 "enjoy"s  There is nothing to enjoy about $42 corkage fee (or any amount charge for that matter), life or death ...

Enjoy your Voyage:

Desireless - Voyage, voyage (1987) 

Life is Life

Voyage, Voyage

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, highway180 said:

Yes

I'm fully aware 

Too bad the wine served during the HH is barely drinkable.

we are Elite plus and haven't bothered with the "free" wine in many years, last time was when you were issued coupons for HH drinks., and it was less than enjoyable to say the least.

Life is too short to drink crummy wine

Cheers

In January 2022 I was on the Edge with 670 passengers onboard. One of the bartenders in Eden was pouring me Decoy during HH. I think he was new but eventually he was told.  On another sailing it was CK by Mondavi which was actually pretty good. I remember because it was on the Basic package and people on Premium were ordering it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

The best invention in the world is stemless wine glasses.  I woke up one day unable to hold anything with a stem.  Medication has helped a lot.  But it’s not perfect and when I’m toasting across the table I sometimes have to use two hands.

I have arthritis in my right hand and prefer a long stemmed glass so I can hold it above the stem. I tried stemless glasses and didn't work for me.  

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Coupons?  For elites or for everyone?  

Royal give coupons each day to Elite, Elite plus and Pinnacle levels. The higher the level the more coupons. The can use these coupons through out the day.  They don't have an unlimited 2 hour window for cocktails. Who ever is entitled to the HH on Celebrity would get the coupons which could be used at any bar that isn't a specialty bar.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Royal give coupons each day to Elite, Elite plus and Pinnacle levels. The higher the level the more coupons. The can use these coupons through out the day.  They don't have an unlimited 2 hour window for cocktails. Who ever is entitled to the HH on Celebrity would get the coupons which could be used at any bar that isn't a specialty bar.

Couldn't Celebrity very easily add the HH drink credit(s) to the sea pass of those eligible?

55 minutes ago, Liao said:

Couldn't Celebrity very easily add the HH drink credit(s) to the sea pass of those eligible?

According to the president they want to keep the Elite HH as a special event. The only reason mentioned it was because some claim that the Elites take drinks out of the HH and bring them to dinner. I don't think Celebrity views that as a problem.

Edited by Iamcruzin

2 hours ago, little britain said:

How many people in reality do not have a drinks package? They are exempt from this corkage fee. 

I suspect that number is growing as the price of Celebrity's premium package is very pricey.  Compare it to Princess who gives you unlimited specialty for roughly the same price ...

I was actually a little surprised how expensive the packages are on Celebrity ... I recently sailed with Holland America, and I felt good getting an all-inclusive package with WIFI+Drinks incl. alcoholic drinks and it didn't break the bank.  Pricing out an equivalent on my upcoming Celebrity cruise, shocked me and made me sit down, when I calculated the price.  It's OK, I said to myself, I will drink a-la-carte.  As far as the WIFI package, again very pricey, but at least, there are frequent "flash sales" easily saving 30-35%... so I grabbed it during that flash-sale and I feel "OK" now; it felt a more "fair" price after a flash-sale.

Edited by Kordy

23 minutes ago, Kordy said:

I was actually a little surprised how expensive the packages are on Celebrity ... I recently sailed with Holland America, and I felt good getting an all-inclusive package with WIFI+Drinks incl. alcoholic drinks and it didn't break the bank.  Pricing out an equivalent on my upcoming Celebrity cruise, shocked me and made me sit down, when I calculated the price.  It's OK, I said to myself, I will drink a-la-carte.  As far as the WIFI package, again very pricey, but at least, there are frequent "flash sales" easily saving 30-35%... so I grabbed it during that flash-sale and I feel "OK" now; it felt a more "fair" price after a flash-sale.

Yep.  On our last Celebrity cruise, we got All Included as part of a TA group rate on Celebrity.  Looking at the rates now, I would probably drink by the glass or choose another line...  Probably a higher class line.  All of those added fees add up very quickly. 

Edited by NMTraveller

48 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Yep.  On our last Celebrity cruise, we got All Included as part of a TA group rate on Celebrity.  Looking at the rates now, I would probably drink by the glass or choose another line...  Probably a higher class line.  All of those added fees add up very quickly. 

I compare similar itineraries and book the best price for what I want which is drinks and wifi included. Building loyalty was never the goal for me. Celebrity and Royal come in on the high side.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I compare similar itineraries and book the best price for what I want which is drinks and wifi included. Building loyalty was never the goal for me. Celebrity and Royal come in on the high side.

I just took a look at a Celebrity Japan itinerary, and the pricing has skyrocketed...  That is without adding in drinks.

6 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I suspect that number is growing as the price of Celebrity's premium package is very pricey.  Compare it to Princess who gives you unlimited specialty for roughly the same price ...

Corkage fee does not apply if you have Classic or Premium package.. with all my cruises the Classic was included in the price so I still think the numbers actually effected are small. Added to those who say they are never charged corkage because the staff don’t want the hassle… it’s hardly a big revenue stream I suspect 

12 hours ago, Kordy said:

I've decided to take a wifi package for my 15 night TA cruise next year as my 240 Elite plus minutes won't be enough.  I'm meeting a relative during one of my stops in Cartegena and need to stay in touch onboard. Price was actually pretty good I think 30% but if I can get 35% even better.

7 hours ago, little britain said:

Corkage fee does not apply if you have Classic or Premium package.. with all my cruises the Classic was included in the price so I still think the numbers actually effected are small. Added to those who say they are never charged corkage because the staff don’t want the hassle… it’s hardly a big revenue stream I suspect 

I just priced out a Japan cruise and the price difference was about $800 pp for the all included without grats.  For the wine package everyone knows that you must upgrade to premium to get a decent glass.  I paid less when I was in NAPA drinking $100 to $160 bottles of wine than the Celebrity package cost.   These would be bottles that Celebrity charges $400 to $500 if they have them onboard.   Also ate at a Michelin star restaurant.  Celebrity is no NAPA.  But they price their drinks like they are...

Then add on the price of excursions and it is easy to pay more for the extras than the base cruise price.

Edited by NMTraveller

25 minutes ago, Cruzinram said:

I looked at my final invoice and the charge for opening our bottle was 42.00. It was in the buffet at the pizza area. We ordered a pizza and had our bottled opened there. This was on the Beyond.

$42 to open wine at the buffet with Pizza? That's just absurd. I hope the server put on a show for you. 😆 

• Haha 1

Are there many people out there who actually paid $42 for corkage? how do they feel about it, what is their take, maybe they thought it was worth it... I wonder if there are many on cruisecritic who paid this fee and let's hear their story !  Maybe we are all overreacting and people (who are actually paying) are actually OK with it.

I just see one lady from Canada who paid $42 to open her wine with Pizza at the buffet...

Edited by Kordy