Low Sodium Diet When Cruising

JanNSteH

Hi, We have two cruises coming up in 2025.  One on the Apex and one on the Silhouette.  My DH has hypertension and the recommendation is to stick to low salt/no salt meals.  I know that this would be difficult in the Oceanview Cafe but does anyone know if Celebrity will be able to accommodate this type of dietary restriction, at least in the MDR or any of the specialty dining restaurants?  Just wondering if any others have experienced this.  Looking for any input/advice.  Thank you.

The wait staff have always asked if one has any dietary restrictions upon greeting the table and will make adjustments as needed.  They will also let you take a look at the next day's menu ahead of time so that you can order in advance and allow the chefs to adjust to whatever the restriction may be.  I believe there is a "special needs" email (not sure where) that you can complete with the dietary restriction information as well.  If you used a TA, I would start there and see if they can set you up with the appropriate contact.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hcat said:

you can also order gravy and sauces on the side, plain veggies & dressings.. 

If you are in BLU easy to get accomodation

Agree, definitely ask, whatever dining room you are in, for sauces on the side. 

I think they are the biggest ‘carriers’ of salt on most dishes. Whilst I don’t need to avoid salt I often do this simply as I prefer to pour as much or as little sauce as I want on my meal.

Complete the information on the special needs form then see the M’D on boarding. If you are on fixed dining you will automatically have the same table and wait staff each night, if you on flexible dining then request to be seated in the same area each night. Your waiter will each day show you the next day’s menu as you finish your meal, He will be able to make suggestions and recommendations.

In the buffet if you use your common sense I think you will be OK. You will notice they have dressed and undressed salads so that is easy. If you go to the sandwich station make sure you request no added seasoning. Whilst you can’t change the pre prepared food there is a pasta and stir fry section where they make to order. Whilst there may be some salt in the dishes (pre cooked pasta) at least you can limit how much additional salt is added by your choice of sauces…If you chat with the staff you will find them accommodating.

Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

Here's Celebrity's Special Needs form.   It includes dietary restrictions requests but you will have to add the request specifically for low sodium yourself (last paragraph under Other Disabilities). 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/CEL-Special-Needs-Form.pdf

And also advise the M'D at the restaurant.  

PS:   Here's another thread on this topic:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2968745-very-low-sodium-menus/

I have not had any success in this area.  I would prefer not to request a low salt diet as it is not required.  What I have tried to do, without success, was to ask which items on the menu are high in salt that I should avoid.  For example, I know from experience to avoid eating the onion soup. While I enjoy it, I find that my ankles would swell up as it is loaded with salt.  I just find it hard to believe that no one knows exactly how much salt if in every menu item. 

38 minutes ago, KEN31VA said:

I have not had any success in this area.  I would prefer not to request a low salt diet as it is not required.  What I have tried to do, without success, was to ask which items on the menu are high in salt that I should avoid.  For example, I know from experience to avoid eating the onion soup. While I enjoy it, I find that my ankles would swell up as it is loaded with salt.  I just find it hard to believe that no one knows exactly how much salt if in every menu item. 

I understand you know (from experience) that onion soup needs to be avoided. However, it is not fair to put the responsibility on your waiter to be totally clear as to what he should/should not recommend to you. The conversations should be made via special needs (preferably) or through the M’D.

Your waiter is just that…If he is alerted to a medical issue (lactose intolerant, peanut allergy) he can refer through line management what he should/should nor recommend or what alternatives can be offered. What you are suggesting is that you put the responsibility for knowing the ingredients of dishes on a daily basis should be with the waiter…

They cook large batches...and may not have it per  serving.

Even when one chef shared a soup recipe with my husb.. there was a bunch of math involved.. Came out perfect for  a group of 20...not salty at all!

1 hour ago, wwcruisers said:

Beware the hot soups (not just the onion) -- they tend to over-salt all of them. Having to watch my salt, I try to stick to the cold soups -- when I can find them.

Again. Thank you all who have responded.  

We were warned about the soups.  The cardiologist said to stay away from breads, soups and salad dressings as they are all high in sodium.   However, we didn’t know that the cold soups were a better choice.  Will keep that in mind.  we will fill out the special needs form and hope for the best when we get onboard both ships.

Celebrity is excellent at proving no salt/ low salt food. I have never had a problem. The buffet is fairly easy - stick to fruit and salads. Some cheeses are low in salt including fresh mozzarella. I would send in the special needs form and speak to the head waiter in the dining room. They will bring you the next night’s menu after dinner and prepare your food without salt. There are some foods such as bread and soup that cannot be prepared without salt but these are the exception. I always specify not to use salt substitutes- they are as harmful as salt for your kidneys. I have been eating no salt/ low salt for years and it is very easy to do on Celebrity and they have always accommodated my diet. 

Edited by Jeal
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jeal said:

Celebrity is excellent at proving no salt/ low salt food. I have never had a problem. The buffet is fairly easy - stick to fruit and salads. Some cheeses are low in salt including fresh mozzarella. I would send in the special needs form and speak to the head waiter in the dining room. They will bring you the next night’s menu after dinner and prepare your food without salt. There are some foods such as bread and soup that cannot be prepared without salt but these are the exception. I always specify not to use salt substitutes- they are as harmful as salt for your kidneys. I have been eating no salt/ low salt for years and it is very easy to do on Celebrity and they have always accommodated my diet. 

Thank you so much for your input!

I have emailed special needs for two different cruises as recent as one I took a few weeks ago. Both responses were to just talk to your waiter and the maitre de will see you every night to go over the next day’s menu.

The chefs were very good at preparing most dishes with no salt.

• Thanks 1

Celebrity is very good at meeting special needs.  At the same time, much of the food can only realistically be made in large batches and there is only so much they can do.  As has been suggested, fill out the special needs form but honestly I don't know if that will help much, but it certainly couldn't hurt.  Definitely speak with the Maitre d' the first night.  It would also be helpful to ask for the same table/waiter every night so you don't have to keep explaining your needs over and over,  

• Like 1

At the buffet, the carving stations are a good option for a lot of restricted diets. No coatings or sauces with unknown ingredients. Or at least coatings or dry rubs are easily removed or avoided by the carver. They also have plain roasted vegetables. 

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Celebrity is very good at meeting special needs.  At the same time, much of the food can only realistically be made in large batches and there is only so much they can do.  As has been suggested, fill out the special needs form but honestly I don't know if that will help much, but it certainly couldn't hurt.  Definitely speak with the Maitre d' the first night.  It would also be helpful to ask for the same table/waiter every night so you don't have to keep explaining your needs over and over,  

Yes, I am aware that food is prepared in volume.  I will definitely fill out the special needs form and submit it for our two cruises in 2025 as well as speak to our maitre d’ and waiter once we get onboard.  By taking all of these steps along with everyone’s suggestions from this post, my hope is that we can cut down on some of the sodium intake.  Thank you all again.