Solariums

Teslyn

I went on my first Royal cruise in May on Adventure of the Seas. I am now thinking about booking another one for next year. I want to do a bigger ship, one that has a nice solarium with plenty of seating and shady spots to sit.

So, which ship has your favorite solarium?

1. My favorite Solarium is on Quantum class ships (this one is Anthem)

Tons of space, nice shaped (cascade) pools. Large jacuzzis.

It is shielded from cold by Indoor family pool (next)

2. Very similar Solarium is on Quantum+ (Odyssey, Spectrum). Not sure how it will work without Indoor pool next

3. Oasis class Solariums are nice especially on Symphony... but I prefer solid roof (Wonder? Utopia?) in case there is a colder weather or rain.

4. I like Solariums on Voager and Freedom class, but they are mostly for warm weather cruises. No roof

5. I only experienced Radiance class once (Brilliance) and liked indoor Solarium

6. On Vision class we sailed 5 times out of colder climates (Baltimore) during winters and early March. For the most part solariums work for us, but they are all in various shapes. We liked one on Vision the most. And they opened a roof in Caribbeans

I've heard that on Icon class there is no real solarium, just some adult space. This will probably not work for us

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

I've heard that on Icon class there is no real solarium, just some adult space. This will probably not work for us

To clarify, there is no Solarium on Icon. The Hideaway adult area isn’t even remotely close to a Solarium and is basically an adults only party area. Not to mention it is surrounded by the water park, flowrider and miniature golf course, so it is never quiet there even when the DJ is blasting music there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Wonder.   It's a whole world on it's own.  We don't spend much time in there, but do love walking through, and it has a nice bar in the middle of it also.  

Is it the same as on other Oasis class ships except for solid roof?

Most Oasis class ships have slots between the glass panels.  There is only shade along the sides of the cafe.  If the ship doesn't have a specialty restaurant above the Solarium Cafe there is a bar with a bunch of loungers and couches in the shade.  Not impressed with "pools" in Oasis class ships, more like large tubs.

Radiance class ships have a real pool in the Solarium and a closed roof.  Fair amount of shade around the sides although some of this are tables for eating.

Found the solarium on Harmony hot and stuffy with barely a hint of ocean breeze.  The cabanas up on the suites deck were even worse.  We were surprised to find an empty one but quickly realized why.  We left after about 30 minutes (ok hubby hubby was taking a nap there already so we left him!)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tatka said:

Is it the same as on other Oasis class ships except for solid roof?

No it's bigger, really nice central bar, and more visually pleasing.  It has A/C (which IMHO is not a large enough system on a hot weather day).   Nicer when it's a cooler day without so much sun creating the greenhouse atmosphere.  

Nice Solarium bistro.  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poocher said:

Found the solarium on Harmony hot and stuffy with barely a hint of ocean breeze.  The cabanas up on the suites deck were even worse.  We were surprised to find an empty one but quickly realized why.  We left after about 30 minutes (ok hubby hubby was taking a nap there already so we left him!)

Yeah, I thought it was stuffy too.  Obviously the expensive A/C system they put in there...just doesn't get it.  The solid roof during hot weather days makes it into more of a greenhouse.  Good for growing Tomatoes...but meh...not so much for a nice breeze.  😉  

We don't use it, or actually any of the pools or solariums on any of the ships...but do like to walk through and have used the Solarium bistro for lunch on occasion.  

Still thought it looked impressive...and seems many do like it.  Just not our style.  

7 minutes ago, poocher said:

There’s AC in there???  Could have fooled me.

LOL...yeah.  You can see the ducts, and the "pillow pads" on the roof were meant to help with insulation for the A/C....but indeed...it's not gettin' it.   I would call that attempt...a fail.  😉 

6 hours ago, island lady said:

No it's bigger, really nice central bar, and more visually pleasing.  It has A/C (which IMHO is not a large enough system on a hot weather day).   Nicer when it's a cooler day without so much sun creating the greenhouse atmosphere.  

Nice Solarium bistro.  🙂 

Sounds like on Symphony.

28 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

To clarify, there is no A/C in Harmony' solarium, there is A/C in Wonder's solarium.

There's confusion because the quote was regarding one ship (Harmony), but the response was based on Wonder.  See post #14.

Of course. Harmony does not have a solid roof. 🙂

9 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Yes, which IMO is dumb.

Maybe. I am under impression Oasis class was designed for hot climates. I wish all ships had roof over solariums and over regular pools. Retractable roofs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Been in every class solariums (except Icon) with RCI and Quantum class ships by far IMO have the best Solariums.

Agree.

Too bad on Quantum + they removed roof over the next pool... so no warm buffer zone for Solarium users and of course no indoor pool for families with kids