Does this disturbing new trend bother anyone else?

Jeafl

1 hour ago, Bluewake said:

Sometimes, local talent shows can be interesting.  For many years, I was an administrator and faculty member at a university at which a student talent show was an annual event. The student who took third place in 2005 ended up doing fairly well later on. That third place winner's name was Stefani Germanotta. She later took the stage name Lady Gaga...

How have the first and second place winners fared as entertainers?

21 hours ago, stobe1 said:

Of course not. But I certainly don't think it rises to the level of "disturbing". If that were the case my $$$ would be going elsewhere.

I didn't use the word disturbing but point taken.

I think it's fair to be critical of Carnival, and any other cruise line, especially on this website - given the name of the site.

If you want whitewashed puppy dogs and rainbows about Carnival all the time, JH's page is where you should be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

I didn't use the word disturbing but point taken.

I think it's fair to be critical of Carnival, and any other cruise line, especially on this website - given the name of the site.

If you want whitewashed puppy dogs and rainbows about Carnival all the time, JH's page is where you should be.

You didnt. The OP did. Its in the thread title.

Edited by stobe1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ontheweb said:

How have the first and second place winners fared as entertainers?

1st place was Tom Costello & Stephan Magloire and 2nd place was Funky Butter.   No idea what  happened to either.  Gotta remember that she was only 18 or 19 when this occurred....not the polished performer she's become.  

On 9/24/2024 at 12:44 PM, Jamman54 said:

And vice-versa! 😂

Jamman, You have been on so many Carnival cruises I have to ask you, do you remember a juggler/comedy act by a guy riding a unicycle? I think his name was Marcus and the unicycle was really tall. He was hysterical. No one seems to remember him, I know I'm not imagining this. Many years ago. Thanks for putting your thinking cap on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, missholly24 said:

I won't go to any passenger involved entertainment. Just my preference. Its awkward and I get second-hand embarrassment. Some people love it. 

Options are always a good thing.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MURCOTT said:

Jamman, You have been on so many Carnival cruises I have to ask you, do you remember a juggler/comedy act by a guy riding a unicycle? I think his name was Marcus and the unicycle was really tall. He was hysterical. No one seems to remember him, I know I'm not imagining this. Many years ago. Thanks for putting your thinking cap on.

Hmmm, I don't think it was that long ago. Let me take a look. I know there were pictures. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, missholly24 said:

I won't go to any passenger involved entertainment. Just my preference. Its awkward and I get second-hand embarrassment. Some people love it. 

I proudly have never attended a single hairy chest contest. 

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2024 at 10:25 AM, i_love_long_islands said:

It's been said that the cruise lines are targeting families in the 24-40 demographic. They are trying to pull them away from hotel based vacations.

I think this poses a conundrum for the cruise lines as they will need to adapt the entertainment to that demo in order to keep people interested.

I think Royal is doing this very well with their more "modern" entertainment efforts and shows that are more than just singing and dancing on a stage.

Last cruise I went on was in 2020 right b4 covid.

They had a good ice show and an AMAZING Adelle show. Quality over quantity for me every time.

On 9/25/2024 at 7:30 AM, Riles34 said:

I have never seen a positive comment from mz...

I find this comment hilarious... mainly because I used to have the same impression of him.  I used to think he was just a grumpy old guy.. but if you pay attention (even within this very thread!) you'll see that he's just brutally honest and doesn't tend to "soften" his comments...  he's also got a very dry sense of humor (and a good one!). 

On 9/25/2024 at 9:03 AM, Jeafl said:

I personally know of no one who would rather watch amateurs than professionals.  Your mileage may vary, however.

we're talking about the shows on Carnival, correct?  I don't know that I'd consider any of them "professionals"...   I go to the shows in the hopes of seeing something good but I'm just as often disappointed in what is being presented. 

Its possible that having a theater and music background has tarnished my opinion and made me hyper critical, though.  My standards are higher than most, I think...  so it's harder to impress me

5 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

I find this comment hilarious... mainly because I used to have the same impression of him.  I used to think he was just a grumpy old guy.. but if you pay attention (even within this very thread!) you'll see that he's just brutally honest and doesn't tend to "soften" his comments...  he's also got a very dry sense of humor (and a good one!). 

I always thought it was a "she" (read Mrs. S). My mind is blown. 😆