I read on a review that Queen Victoria is no longer offering lobsters on formal night, is that true? Any reviews are welcome!

gam888

I read a review on the Cruise Critics that Cunard is no longer offering complimentary lobsters on formal night. Is that correct? What about the other ships in the Cunard fleet? We have always look forward to the lobster night on a cruise, and it will be disappointing that if Cunard has taken that away!

I am still deciding our next cruise in November to Europe, if I should choose Queen Victoria that we have been on several times, or Queen Anne which we have not been on. We are keen ballroom dancers and have heard that they are doing a lot of "pop music" sets on the Queen Anne as a change. What about the Queen Victoria? Is she still offering mainly ballroom music in the Queen's Room or is Cunard reducing the ballroom music there as well? We don't mind a change, but one of the main reasons if we were to choose Cunard is because it offers the daily ballroom dancing, otherwise, we could just pick other premium cruise lines. Any reviews or comment on either the Queen Victoria or Queen Anne are welcome. Thank you in advance.

12 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

I can't answer for Q.Vic, however, Lobster was certainly available in QG on the QM2 in May 2024. I had it twice over the five days. One from the evening menu and on another evening 'Osman's lobster speciality dish' prepared table side .🤙

He did that for us on our 2022 crossing (latest one for us).Really nice flavor.

Clearly in respect of food you get what you pay for (as in any shoreside eaterie).   

QV v QA?  This seems to be personal preference and choice.  I would very happily be on QV again.  QA is not for us.  QA has its fans who would argue otherwise.  

We are not dancers but from what I have seen and read, if ballroom facilities are the main criteria of choice, then its QV.  However, QM2 has the largest ballroom.

It would appear from the comments so far one can ascertain that to be certain of lobster on the menu one must pay the premium of staying in Grills class as it look like Brittania menus have been downgraded. Personally I don't find anything special about lobster and would vote for large langoustine every time preferably with a good dollop of melting garlic butter or aoli 😋

• Like 1

In QG on QE, Dover Sole, lobster dishes, and caviar in strong supply. I’m sure other lines have reduced their lobster offerings in MDR.
I too like jumbo prawns over lobster, unless getting a whole steamed lobster while eating in a lobster shack on the New England coast. 

21 minutes ago, NE John said:

In QG on QE, Dover Sole, lobster dishes, and caviar in strong supply. I’m sure other lines have reduced their lobster offerings in MDR.
I too like jumbo prawns over lobster, unless getting a whole steamed lobster while eating in a lobster shack on the New England coast. 

Yeah, once you've had lobster fresh like that, it's hard to accept the frozen tails. I never order lobster on a ship. You did omit one thing about the fresh lobster--served with LOTS of melted butter!!!!

• Haha 1

I was perhaps unlucky, but the monkfish I had on QV was pretty poor. It didn't taste like a particularly good fish anyway, but the preparation was also less than ideal (the transparent but sinewy silverskin left on and the piece overcooked in some areas and undercooked in others). Shame, as used correctly and prepared properly it can be great. 

38 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

We were aboard QV for two weeks September 2-16 and no lobster in Britannia.

Though quite tasty the filet of beef with prawns was quite noticeably small, not that I truly needed to eat more……

I think it was luck of the draw. My son had that and the steak was enormous. Likewise one night he and my dad had a simple grilled sirloin when not fancying what was on the main menu, and they both got what could easily have been used as joints of meat for roasting. 

On other occasions the portions appeared to be quite small. The quality was generally pretty good though with only a few duffers across our two weeks. 

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yeah, once you've had lobster fresh like that, it's hard to accept the frozen tails. I never order lobster on a ship. You did omit one thing about the fresh lobster--served with LOTS of melted butter!!!!

Nope

A cold lobster, crisp iceberg lettuce simple salad and plenty of Marie Rose [the proper stuff not ketchup in disguise] as a dipping sauce.

Food of the Gods.

I ask for a lobster [tail] cold salad [me detailing the fixings] for lunch occasionally. No dressing but Marie Rose on the side.

Yum

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I’m in the school of: Just. Plain. Boiled. Lobsta’. 
And regarding monkfish, it’s really not very good on land or onboard a ship. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1