I read on a review that Queen Victoria is no longer offering lobsters on formal night, is that true? Any reviews are welcome!

gam888

A long summer on Cape Cod when I was nine swore me off blueberries, lobster and crab for the rest of my life.  But it seems rather mean to drop something that seems important to so many others and surely Carnival Corp. can manage it for a gala night once?  The worst economies a company can make are the ones people notice while charging more for the "same" product.  Anyway, the British don't even know about Old Bay Seasoning so it all seems pointless anyway....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

(Its 100% a cost decision not sustainability)

I would be inclined to agree, but am mystified by how you can be so adamant. Unless you work for Cunard, you can’t possibly know for sure. 

• Like 4

I can be sure.... if Carnival did this for any other reasons, including sanctimonious "sustainability" they would be sure to tell us AND would never deny Grill passengers their opportunity to "save the planet" now would they? One lobster at a time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I can be sure.... if Carnival did this for any other reasons, including sanctimonious "sustainability" they would be sure to tell us AND would never deny Grill passengers their opportunity to "save the planet" now would they? One lobster at a time. 

Actually, the two may be related. Sustainability, sanctimonious or not,  may lead to higher lobster prices. Did Cunard tell us why they stopped stocking foie gras?

22 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Actually, the two may be related. Sustainability, sanctimonious or not,  may lead to higher lobster prices. Did Cunard tell us why they stopped stocking foie gras?

What ?? No foie gras 😭, even in QG?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

What ?? No foie gras 😭, even in QG?

Thank goodness

14 minutes ago, DreamingOfSunnyDays said:

I had foie gras royale in the veranda on QV in July 

Fois Royale isn't Fois Gras Royale.

No birds are  force fed and the end  product is 'manufactured' after the birds have been killed for their meat.

• Like 1

Personally, I bring an appetite to shipboard meals not a conscience.  But redeemed maybe as I don't really much like foie gras, lobster or duck anyway. 

Maybe Cunard can have a Sustainability Cafe (extra charge, course) with gruel and ship's biscuits and, of course, no paper menus and tablecloths.  What do Carnival call them, "The Fun Ships"?

• Haha 1

Gotta love the internet for its absolutes. lol 

So.  If sustainability = profits, I am good with that. I don’t expect a business to not turn a profit.  (Especially if I’d like to sail with them again.)  The economic fallout from the last few years has hit everyone and everything.  

Personally, I don’t understand perpetual agitation.  I guess I look through the opposite side of the glass.  

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Personally, I bring an appetite to shipboard meals not a conscience.  But redeemed maybe as I don't really much like foie gras, lobster or duck anyway. 

Maybe Cunard can have a Sustainability Cafe (extra charge, course) with gruel and ship's biscuits and, of course, no paper menus and tablecloths.  What do Carnival call them, "The Fun Ships"?

There’s nothing like negativity for cheering us all up. Sustainably farmed produce often tends to be rather flavoursome, I believe. See the success of hugely expensive but very tasty Duchy Organics products in the UK.

• Like 3

But I am not the one complaining about no lobster or suggesting the most obvious of economies is somehow ennobled by "sustainability" either. 

Fact is that all lines have cut, reduced or removed and continue to do so.  To save money and nothing else.  

I suspect Cunard reading all this will do the obvious and add lobster to the Britannia menu for a surcharge. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

There’s nothing like negativity for cheering us all up. Sustainably farmed produce often tends to be rather flavoursome, I believe. See the success of hugely expensive but very tasty Duchy Organics products in the UK.

I believe in learning of the sourcing of food and am a huge fan of UK sourced meat and fish, especially on Cunard ships. I also am a fan of Cotswold Gin served as G&T’s and sold by the bottle onboard to take home. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

But they already have , Queen Annie's 'Alternative venues' stuck on the end of the buffet and elsewhere . If you are referring to no tablecloths.  😅 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

But they already have , Queen Annie's 'Alternative venues' stuck on the end of the buffet and elsewhere . If you are referring to no tablecloths.  😅 

To be fair, tablecloth or no tablecloth and stuck anywhere,  MylesS' photos of Aji Wa had me all but reaching for the phone for a Wagamama Deliveroo!

Edited by Victoria2
added full name