Look like specialty restaurants will be changed to cover charge next year

dhanakorn

what does it say for "2024 sailings?" (the image is cut off.)

it's possible they could be going to a nominal fee, but until we know more, this could just mean sloppy NCL app design. did you actually try to click on it or book something? how did the app behave?

but, by all means, let the twelve pages of speculation begin, with passionate views pro and con.

Edited by UKstages
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, UKstages said:

what does it say for "2024 sailings?" (the image is cut off.)

it's possible they could be going to a nominal fee, but until we know more, this could just mean sloppy NCL app design. did you actually try to click on it or book something? how did the app behave?

but, by all means, let the twelve pages of speculation begin, with passionate views pro and con.

2024 Sailings : Ala carte

6 minutes ago, dhanakorn said:

2024 Sailings : Ala carte

interesting. 

it's either nothing... or something.

either a meaningless placeholder or a serious gaffe by a web designer that let the cat out of the bag prior to NCL's official press release announcing this new, um, product enhancement.

• Haha 3

My view is this will have little or no effect on me.  I only use the included dining package at specialty resaurants. Note that Moderno currently has a cover charge, not ala carte.  I see the same wording for the other specialties on my Star cruise next July. I'm sure Norwegian is doing this to save us cruisers money. 🙂 🙂 

Edited by davencl
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, UKstages said:

either a meaningless placeholder or a serious gaffe by a web designer that let the cat out of the bag prior to NCL's official press release announcing this new, um, product enhancement.

On another social media site, a travel agent was hinting that there was a big NCL announcement coming out on October 1st that we would all like, but that they were sworn to secrecy. I'm betting the NCL IT people have accidentally let the cat out of the bag a few days early.

• Haha 1

Could this spell the end of a $20 light "meal" a/k/a cover charge-minimum equivalent at Cagney's and other similar specialty venue onboard NCL in 2025 ?   Arrrrrh, yes, plus 20% for our convenience with the kickoff of the cover charge, with a minimum number, billed immediately upon reservation.

Wait, better not give them more items to milk our wallets.    

• Haha 2

This is what I don't understand:

A 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be charged at time of payment.

Are we now going to be charged 20% on the cover charge price PLUS a specialty service charge?  I have a feeling they will increase the cost of the specialty meal packages--I have a cruise in February, I just bought the 2 meal upgrade at the old price.  It will be interesting to see what this big announcement on October 1st will be--especially if it's "something we'll like"--for our convience, of course!

hmmm.

I have interpreted this differently than most everybody else has. 

many of you are are equating a "cover charge" with a "fixed price" restaurant. there is no cover charge at teppanyaki or moderno. those are "fixed price" or "set price" restaurants. a "cover charge" typically is a fee you pay for admittance to an establishment on top of whatever you purchase while there. when there is a "cover charge" at a nightclub, for instance, you pay however much it is to get in, plus you pay for food and beverage consumed, often with a two drink minimum or a dollar value minimum.

so, when I saw there might be a "cover charge," i assumed - rightly or wrongly - that it would be a pay-for-play fee on top of free at sea or platinum dinners. you know, like a mandatory "bread and butter" charge in many european restaurants. just my interpretation.

none of us knows.

but, as I said, let the wild speculation continue!

28 minutes ago, yankprintster said:

On another social media site, a travel agent was hinting that there was a big NCL announcement coming out on October 1st that we would all like, but that they were sworn to secrecy.

if the TA was sworn to secrecy, he or she has already violated that vow by teasing a big announcement! my best guess is that the announcement will be about cookie or hash brown availability... and they are very late to the party on that, quite frankly, 

• Like 1

On Getaway prix fixe for Cagney's, La Cucina, Le Bistro, and Wasabi is the answer. The Raw Bar, Moderno, and Ocean Blue do not have this prix fixe language, though Ocean Blue does have the bolded "2025 Sailings: Cover Charge statement. 

When you click through to the restaurant from the Explore & Plan>Dining page inside your reservation this is what shows up for each of the restaurants. 

I suppose the controversy is, what does NCL mean by "prix fixe." 

image.png.3d597fb1e9794ed9d19485ffe77b103c.png

We shall see when NCL announces! 

11 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

Let's all wait for the actual NCL announcement.   Too much uninformed speculation.

Casi/Mike/AP - you've been around Cruise Critic long enough to know better!!!

• Like 1

@cruiseny4life

Had the OP done what you have done I wouldn't have had to post what I did.

Now let us know what the "Prix Fixe" will be for each restaurant and also what effect this will have for people who have "Free at Sea" with Specialty Dining for 2025.

Prix Fixe PLUS gratuity PLUS service charge!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Anoynmous Phoenix
  • Like 1

Just now, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@cruiseny4life

Had the OP done what you have done I wouldn't have had to post what I did.

Now let us know what the "Prix Fixe" will be for each restaurant and also what effect this will have for people who have "Free at Sea" with Specialty Dining for 2025.

As soon as I see the new menus, I sure will!!!! Currently, when I click on "View Menu" it shows the current a la carte menu.

I'm so interested to see what it's going to look like. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

My guess is they are likely going to mimic what MSC does to a certain extent.  For a fixed price you can choose 1 app/soup/salad, 1 entree and 1 dessert.  The most recent version of the NCL specialty dining menus are arranged to support this approach.

It would not surprise me if NCL big announcement is one that dismantles FAS and allows guests to select their elements for additional cost.  By doing this NCL can significantly reduce the Sticker Price per person to draw in more prospects.  Certainly sounds reasonable to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

the app says Pre Fixe and the Website says Cover Charge.  My guess they’re supposed to be the same but two different developers wrote two different things.  

it's like mistaking a "lectern" for a "podium" or when people don't understand that "historic" and "historical" have different meanings. or when folks don't understand the difference between "fewer" and "less" or "imply" and "infer" or when people say they "could care less," when they mean they "couldn't care less."

web programming is not the strong suit of NCL's developers. it never has been. to add a command of the english language on top of that may be too much to ask. but words have meaning. if they mean these to be "fixed price" restaurants, they shouldn't refer to a "cover charge." as my friend inigo montoya, was fond of saying when he booked his first NCL cruise, "you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 8