The Great Debate-- Port or Starboard?

pyropoodle

21 minutes ago, Drazil65 said:

Always book port side and have never stayed on the other side in over 20 of cruising (CCL & RCCL).  Not sure why or how that got started for us BUT now, I dont think I could not change it.  Now its just an automatic reflex when booking.    

it is soooo hard to change!  i'm stepping into the unknown!!!!!!

19 minutes ago, missholly24 said:

I ALWAYS stay on the PORT side. It just happened the first couple then I was superstitious about it. LOL....PORT aft to be exact. 

to be honest, i'm a little superstitious over this too. what if me booking port side is the thing that keeps the ship afloat?  what if by booking starboard, this cruise will turn into the Poisidon adventure?!?!  it will be ALL MY FAULT.   

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

it is soooo hard to change!  i'm stepping into the unknown!!!!!!

to be honest, i'm a little superstitious over this too. what if me booking port side is the thing that keeps the ship afloat?  what if by booking starboard, this cruise will turn into the Poisidon adventure?!?!  it will be ALL MY FAULT.   

And the worst part...when you get to the Pearly Gates...and St Peter asks you how you died...and you say "I caused my cruise ship to capsize by booking on the starboard side"...he would say "you go to h***".

• Haha 1

Years ago, once we started booking balconies/suites, we were convinced to always do port side, to view the actual ports while docked.  The last cruise, and I think the one before that one, not one time did we dock and have a view of the port.  No big deal honestly, as it didn't ruin our cruise one bit.  But to answer the question, we still book port side, out of habit I guess, and maybe a slight touch of superstition.   

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cyntil8ing said:

. We don't get up early enough for sunrises. 😀

SAME girl, SAME!

8 minutes ago, DeniseTr said:

Funny thread, interesting thought about smoking. 

I'm a week behind you, and booked on Starboard.

is it weird that i'm jealous you'll be crusing when i'm getting off of the ship? ??????

nope, not gonna think about it, just gonna enjoy the ride!  on the starboard side!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

SAME girl, SAME!

is it weird that i'm jealous you'll be crusing when i'm getting off of the ship? ??????

nope, not gonna think about it, just gonna enjoy the ride!  on the starboard side!

That's Allright, I'm a bit jealous that you are boarding tomorrow and I have to wait another week.

• Like 1

i choose which side based on what direction my ship is heading and the order of places because i want the sun shining in my room early in the morning as much as possible to force myself to wake up. 
but i will admit that if it is an even number of days between the two, then i choose port side because its easier for my hubby to remember

• Like 1

We have done both but prefer port aft. Always a balcony. Always with cabins above and below.

I'm not so much stuck on left or right, but definitely pref aft.

Port gives us the evening sunset on the way home and that is nice to see and photograph.

On many of our cruises it is the port side that faces land when docked so we get some nice views there too.

All that said, this time (29 Sep) we are starboard, but at the very last cabin (5293 on the Pride) since we needed 3 balconies in a row for family to help celebrate our 50th anniversary..

Sailing from NYC, the Statue of Liberty is on starboard if that matters. Other than that, there is no prediction about which way a ship will dock in a given port, and even then, some people might not prefer to see the actual dock from their balcony, they might want to see out into the harbor. Funny though, this thread made me think back, and I think out of 7 balconies we have had, we've been starboard 5 of them, and once each for port and aft. Wonder if I have a secret superstition lol

• Like 1