New program from Regent - The Regent Upgrade Advantage

Pcardad

Regent Upgrade Advantage

(From Regent)
Starting Thursday, September 26, 2024, we are introducing Regent Upgrade Advantage — an exclusive cruise upgrade bidding program for select Regent guests. Eligible booked guests will receive an email invitation with a personalized link to the bidding platform, where they can place bids to upgrade their suite.
The new Regent Upgrade Advantage program will begin with the Seven Seas Explorer October 29, 2024 sailing, and will continue to roll out on a continuing basis. The program typically begins from 110 days prior to sailing and closes at one day prior to sailing for booked guests who are paid-in-full.
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Interesting.  Royal Caribbean has offered this program for years.  It'll be interesting to see how it goes. Guess all the massive price raises are catching up to them.

My guess is that this will automate the process and save them money. They currently have people working this upgrade process...now software can do it for them as the guest is providing the time to input the data.

• Like 1

Just now, irishwitchy said:

So the TA is no longer involved, either when upgrades are offered? 

It says eligible guests will get an email so I am certain Regent will copy their TA on any communication.

Just now, mrstanley said:

How can u upgrade your suite when you’re on a cruise that is waitlisted or the category suite u want is waitlisted or unavailable? This offer is probably for cruises that are not selling.

This is the same as what happens now - when there are unsold suites or upgrades, guests are notified. The new program will offer guests the chance to select what they are willing to pay for the upgrade...or ignore the email altogether. 

How do they define “eligible” and why use the term “select”? Is it open to all booked guests or only some that meet an undisclosed criteria? Sounds like they are now pitting one guest against another to outbid each other.  That’s tacky for a luxury cruise line. But someone will ultimately partake in that game. 

This now sound like the “bid for upgrade” process on airlines.  They always set a minimum bid which IMO has been too high, so it offers no value.  

• Like 1

I am only offering an explanation of what "select" or eligible may mean. No disrespect to anyone who has booked whatever suite. So, for example, we are on the Splendor for Christmas/New year, a 15 day cruise. We are booked in a Penthouse suite C, we "may" be offered to place a bid for a higher grade suite? I have just looked for availability for higher suites, yes some are available, some wait listed. 

Is there a "cut off list" say something like only those in a veranda suite and above may only receive the upgrade offer, I have no idea? If you are happy to be in say a vista suite would you bid, again, I have no idea? We wont know until it goes "live"

NCL has been using a similar program for years.  We travel both lines depending on location and others traveling with us (ie younger family members). We have used the program with NCL and find it a good offering.  However, I find it an odd program to be offered by a higher end cruise line with a higher rate of occupancy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wizpharm2 said:

NCL has been using a similar program for years.  We travel both lines depending on location and others traveling with us (ie younger family members). We have used the program with NCL and find it a good offering.  However, I find it an odd program to be offered by a higher end cruise line with a higher rate of occupancy.

There is massive pressure on all companies to maximize profit as they are under huge debt from Covid. If we get 200 to 250 basis points of rate cuts, it will help but the lines took such a hit for 2 years that it is a miracle they are still in business.

7 hours ago, Pcardad said:
Regent Upgrade Advantage

(From Regent)
Starting Thursday, September 26, 2024, we are introducing Regent Upgrade Advantage — an exclusive cruise upgrade bidding program for select Regent guests. Eligible booked guests will receive an email invitation with a personalized link to the bidding platform, where they can place bids to upgrade their suite.
The new Regent Upgrade Advantage program will begin with the Seven Seas Explorer October 29, 2024 sailing, and will continue to roll out on a continuing basis. The program typically begins from 110 days prior to sailing and closes at one day prior to sailing for booked guests who are paid-in-full.

Interesting. Thanks fir posting.  We're on the October 29 cruise. I thought it was full. Will have to take a look.

For our Splendor/London cruise last August we booked a concierge suite. We got a call from our TA asking if we would like to update to Penthouse. I can’t recall the price. In this case, we weren’t much interested as this was a very port intensive cruise and we had found concierge just fine in this ship in a prior cruise. I remember in the “good old days” cruise lines would give upgrades at no charge when available to regular guests like us. But, as mentioned above, cruise lines have massed a huge amount of debt at huge interest rates (they were rated as junk bonds), so I understand this program. But no guest should ever book accommodations not suited to the person’s wants/needs and count on this “move up” program.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sunprince said:

How do they define “eligible” and why use the term “select”? Is it open to all booked guests or only some that meet an undisclosed criteria? Sounds like they are now pitting one guest against another to outbid each other.  That’s tacky for a luxury cruise line. But someone will ultimately partake in that game. 

This now sound like the “bid for upgrade” process on airlines.  They always set a minimum bid which IMO has been too high, so it offers no value.  

Absolutely right, Sunprince!  This looks exactly like what you "see" going on over at Princess/Carnival cruises!  Setting one customer up to bid against/compete against another customer... in a "bidding war" against each other!  Certainly not a "luxurious experience"!

2 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Absolutely right, Sunprince!  This looks exactly like what you "see" going on over at Princess/Carnival cruises!  Setting one customer up to bid against/compete against another customer... in a "bidding war" against each other!  Certainly not a "luxurious experience"!

I think it is less bidding against someone else and more deciding what the upgrade is worth to you. Of course, you can simply ignore any email you get and stick with what you paid for...no big deal.