Your Experiences When doing the Amazon on Oceania

SophieM

Hello to those of you who have done the Amazon on Oceania! I would be most interested in any non-ship tours you took, both recommended and not and any general thoughts you’d like to share. We are on the Sirena in January. 

Also, I’m specifically interested if you took a tour with Gil Serique. 

Thanks much!

Jane

We took an Amazon River cruise on Sirena in 2019. We booked 2 tours with Gil. We had to cancel the one in Santarem because docking  was delayed by rough seas. We also took the jungle tour in Alter Do which included a very bumpy ride into the jungle from the port. Gil is very attentive and has a lot of knowledge and experience in the Amazon and shared his love of the Brazilian forest.

When you visit Boca da Valeria, do the canoe ride that the locals offer. It was interesting to travel down the river and see the local farms. We got off at one point and hiked a bit. It only cost $5 when we visited. Don’t give the kids candy, even though they love it. There is no dental care. Give them $1 bills for taking you around and showing you their animals. You can even hold a baby sloth for $1.

We took the ship tour in Parentins for the dance show. It was hot, but enjoyable. Try to sit near the front if possible. The seating is all level, so if you are short like me, you won’t be able to see. I had better results standing in the back.

it is very hot and humid. Bring an umbrella or large hat. Have fun.