Singapore Disembarkation Transportation Question

pbb

13 minutes ago, LAL Cruiser said:

Yes, Taxis are available...Singapore is so civilized and organized.

The cruise dock is part of the Harbourfront Centre, a shopping center.  Just head straight out from the cruise area, then take a right where the sign says "Taxis".  Lots of taxis line up there, mostly for locals doing shopping rather than just cruise passengers.

19 minutes ago, LAL Cruiser said:

We are disembarking Whisper on 22 December in Singapore and booked a car service with a local operator - lots of luggage and wanted to be sure that we had a larger vehicle.

I've used a car service for the run out to Changi Airport, but if heading to a hotel in the center city, we just take two taxis from the taxi rank.  Much simpler, and also more economical.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

The taxis were easy to find when we were there last March. We took the metro to Changi airport, as it was just across the street from our hotel and no changes were involved.

The green line out to Changi is super easy - but not for those with many suitcases to handle.

One tip - if you have the rechargeable card for the subway, you can't use a non-Singapore credit card to add value through the ticketing machines in the subway stations.  Just take cash to the service window and they will gladly add it for you.

For those who haven't used it, the MRT subway system is safe, clean and easy to navigate.  I use it all the time when in SIN.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

The green line out to Changi is super easy - but not for those with many suitcases to handle.

One tip - if you have the rechargeable card for the subway, you can't use a non-Singapore credit card to add value through the ticketing machines in the subway stations.  Just take cash to the service window and they will gladly add it for you.

For those who haven't used it, the MRT subway system is safe, clean and easy to navigate.  I use it all the time when in SIN.

This brought back pleasant memories of the signs in the MRT that said “No Durian Allowed”.  Durian is a common fruit in Singapore and quite possibly the most disgusting thing you will ever smell in your life.  I have been told by locals that families have been broken up by members who insisted on bringing durian home.  Please consider trying durian just so you can have bragging rights. But take a very small bite, as I was warned to do on my first trip to Singapore.  I was on a subsequent trip to Singapore with my boss and bought some for him who, being the foodie that he is, took a big bite.  The pictures we have of the scrunched up look on his face are priceless.  We were in public so he could not just spit it out.  You can get durian at grocery stores in the produce section and in the outdoor markets.  Ah, the memories…

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

For sure; we travel carry-on which allows us to take the Metro or other public transport to/from the airport in many cities. Forgot to mention that when we took the green line to Changi, we had to be careful to be seated in the front half of the train because it split before getting there and the front half went to the airport while the back half went to a different station. Good thing we knew that in advance!

Thanks for the tip on reloading our cards. We have ours from the last trip, as we got back to the airport too late to return them. So if they are still good for the next trip we can hopefully reload them with the leftover S$ we also have from that trip.

On 9/28/2024 at 6:41 AM, Woodrowst77 said:

This brought back pleasant memories of the signs in the MRT that said “No Durian Allowed”.  Durian is a common fruit in Singapore and quite possibly the most disgusting thing you will ever smell in your life.  I have been told by locals that families have been broken up by members who insisted on bringing durian home.  Please consider trying durian just so you can have bragging rights. But take a very small bite, as I was warned to do on my first trip to Singapore.  I was on a subsequent trip to Singapore with my boss and bought some for him who, being the foodie that he is, took a big bite.  The pictures we have of the scrunched up look on his face are priceless.  We were in public so he could not just spit it out.  You can get durian at grocery stores in the produce section and in the outdoor markets.  Ah, the memories…

Though to me the aroma is off putting but not disgusting. The taste is like a very creamy vanilla custard with a hint of caramel. I am a sucker for anything that tastes creamy. So if I am off walking in Bangkok by myself I do usually have a taste of durian.

50 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Though to me the aroma is off putting but not disgusting. The taste is like a very creamy vanilla custard with a hint of caramel. I am a sucker for anything that tastes creamy. So if I am off walking in Bangkok by myself I do usually have a taste of durian.

Cunning plan no 2 for January involves replacing the SA adventure with a Cruise from the Seychelles to Singapore and a couple of weeks on Borneo. Durian seems to be quite a thing on Borneo so maybe I’ll get to try it soon?