The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 27th, 2024

Today is Crush A Can Day, Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, and Google's Birthday

You gotta find your best self and when you do, you gotta hold on to it for dear life -- Cheryl Strayed

Meal Suggestion for today - Minestrone Soup Recipe - Simple, Healthy & Hearty
Drink of the Day - Vodka Press
Wine of the Day - Domaine Jean Dauvissat Pére et Fils 2020 Fourchaume Premier Cru (Chablis)
Destination of the Day - Nome, Alaska, USA

Today in History:
1066 William the Conqueror's troops set sail from Normandy to conquer England
1908 Henry Ford's first Ford Model T automobile leaves the Piquette Plant in Detroit, Michigan

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Olivia Majestic Alaska Cruise
Victoria, British Columbia   2000-2359  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada   eta 09-28  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens
Istanbul, Turkey   -ovn--1600  

Noordam --- 14 days, round-trip Great Alaska Explorer
Prince Rupert, British Columbia   0700-1600  

Oosterdam --- 10 days, one-way from Barcelona to Piraeus-Athens
Rhodes, Greece   0800-1800  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Norse Legends
At Sea Destination Rotterdam (Amsterdam), Holland   eta 09-28  

Volendam --- 7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston
Portland, Maine   1100-2300  

Zaandam --- 5 days, one-way from Vancouver to San Diego
At Sea Destination San Francisco, California   eta 09-28  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City
Saguenay, Quebec   0900-1900  

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
Sakaiminato, Japan  

0900-1500

image.thumb.png.a85e8b11a541f1da947735fba2134b27.png

image.thumb.png.10ed0c492c1ad2739b644aac2158215d.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 16

Good morning friends!  First I want to thank Coweta-Fayette EMC for our electricity and Comcast for my internet service, which are still going strong at 3:42 a.m. 🤞 The eye of the hurricane is still south of me north of Valdosta, Georgia.  Extremely high winds haven't hit here yet.  Lots of rain but I don't have any numbers for overnight.  I'll try to keep in touch this morning as things progress.  Hopefully the winds won't be hurricane strength when it reaches us.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily information prepared ahead of time.  Thanks so much Debbie @dfish,Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for preparing your reports for us every day.

Prayers today for Roy, Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Vanessa, Ann and Pat, Nancy’s DB Nick, Melisa and her DH, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Jacqui, Jane and her DS, Elizabeth, Dixie, Debbie and Carol and Sam and anyone else in need of them here.  I also don’t want to neglect mentioning my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and for our men and women in uniform who are protecting us overseas.  For those celebrating special occasions, cruising and preparing to cruise, my best wishes to you all.  Vanessa @JazzyV, thank you for your list keeping work.  We hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise!

The port today is Nome, Alaska, which is another first-timer.  No links to post again today.  I haven’t been to Nome yet but it’s scheduled on the 28 day Alaska cruise next summer so that will hopefully change for us then.  Hopefully some of you have some photos to share with us.

Have a great day everyone and please try to stay safe and keep well! 🙏

• Like 12
  • Thanks 12

I see the HAL board is a little slow this morning.  I hope there aren't a lot of power outages among members in the southeast.  I am surprised we still have power, however the worst of the winds may still be coming.  Hopefully in the next 3 or 4 hours the storm will be past us.  I hope those still in the path don't experience too many problems with winds and flooding.  🤞

I'm anxious for daylight so we can see how things look outside, and how much rain is in our rain gauge (emptied at 6 p.m. last night).  At least our trees are still standing!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today's daily reports Sandi.

Prayers 🙏 the hurricane avoids you and other Dailyites.

We should always try to be the best we can be.

Minestrone soup is always nice.

Prayers 🙏 for those who want them.

I hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

Storms woke me up around 2 am this morning and the electricity has been on/off several times since then. It's been raining pretty hard with gusts over 50 mph. It's currently 79 degrees and humidity is 100%. According to the radar, the TS will leave by 10 or 11 am.  🙂

I hope all our CC friends are safe!!!

Have a great weekend.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Prayers for everyone in the Hurricane's path.  We just had heavy rain and 40-50 MPH winds.  Some debris in the yard, small dead branches and spanish moss.  No major damage in our development. 

Vodka Press:

The Vodka Press is a refreshing and invigorating cocktail that perfectly combines the smoothness of vodka with the vibrant flavors of citrus and soda. This delightful libation is a classic choice for those seeking a light and breezy drink to enjoy during warm summer evenings or any social gathering. With its crisp taste and effervescent character, the Vodka Press is sure to become a go-to favorite in your cocktail repertoire.
Ingredients:
2 oz. vodka
2 oz. club soda
2 oz. lemon lime soda
Directions:
Fill a highball glass with ice cubes, ensuring it is about three-quarters full.
In a cocktail mixing glass, add Vodka, Sprite, and Club Soda, and stir gently.
Pour the mixture into the highball glass and garnish with a lemon wedge.

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 6.29.52 AM.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 13

Today’s Care List:

Vict0riann’s DH Pat in hospital, had heart valve replacement 9/24

Rafinmd (Roy) in acute care for heart issues, med changes, then to rehab

Ottahand7’s DB Nick with knee swelling, lightheaded, dizzy

Ger_77’s DH undergoing testing for elevated PSA

StLouisCruisers with a health issue, upcoming biopsy

JazzyV battling leg swelling and pain

Kazu with items missing from move, vision problems and leg pain

Aliaschief flying to Oakland – safe travels!

Hoping Nickelpenny is ok

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US. Those in the path of Helene

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Hal Sailer diagnosed with Lymphoma

Vict0riann post breast cancer surgery, to have radiation therapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy 55th Anniversary cruising-along (Carolyn & Henry)!

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie w/breast cancer, NO CHEMO!

Kazu moved into new home

Cruising-along in Yellowstone

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for TAW1963 (Eurodam Sept 28 to Oct 5 ) 7d Alaska Explorer

1 day for Haljo1935 (Eurodam Sept 28 to Oct 5) 7d Alaska Explorer – celebrating 35th anniversary

2 days for Doobieb (Oosterdam Sept 29 to Oct 10) 11d Venetian & Dalmation Delight

3 days for JazzyV (Celebrity Eclipse Sept 30 to Oct 11) 11d Boston, Maine & Canada

Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 19

Suzi just texted me that they have no power at work, and she said downtown was completely black except a couple of street signals were working. She hopes they can get the generators up and running soon as they have several surgeries scheduled this morning.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning from a still dark and windy day at the beach

Most of the storm went by us. We had very strong winds and rain. Even though the storm is in the Gulf, the ocean is churning. We lost power for awhile but are back on. 
   Don’t know yet if there is any damage but it would be minimal. 
    Very strong prayers for those that were hit hard and hopefully with the sunrise, things will be better. 
  @Cruising-along a very Happy anniversary to you both! 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone from St Petersburg.  We were lucky, but so many others were not.  The storm surge was higher than previous storms causing severe flooding in the lower areas.  The rainfall was less than some regular storms. The wind gusts were strong which seems to have caused more power outages. 

I'm headed out for my morning walk now. 

Prayers for those less fortunate.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.

Prayers for everyone in the path of the storm.  Up here, it's a cool morning, only 8C (46F) and dark when I finally rolled out of bed.  But it's supposed to be a sunny 23C (73F) this afternoon.  Bertie and I will head out for a walk soon.

I won't crush a can, they don't want crushed cans for recycling.

I like the quote.

The meal, drink and wine sound good to me.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good day.  Stay safe and dry.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Happy Friday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Praying for all who are impacted by Helene. Stay safe. 

Expecting rain for the next several days here in PA. 

Scheduled for a much-needed massage today. I would love to schedule one on the ship, but I have no energy for the constant up-selling by the spa staff. I will just schedule one for when I come back. I have to relax from all that relaxing. 

The suitcases are coming up from the basement this weekend and the packing will begin. Only 12 days to go. 

Happy anniversary to @Cruising-along!

happy anniversary cats - Google Search Work Anniversary Quotes, Happy ...

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Friday | Funny animals, Funny animal pictures, International cat day

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Sandi & Rich for today’s FR&D! I count myself lucky. I barely got any rain from Helene and the local winds never exceeded 60mph - and mostly stayed in the 45-50 mph range. I pray everyone is safe. Almost the entire Florida peninsula was under a tornado watch until 6 this morning. I have never seen that before. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Praying the leg wrap continues to help. And stays up!

Gym, Bindi walks, need to walk around my place and pick branches. Then supper with friends at a great local place. 

IMG_3501.jpeg.85c2c0ee34d8cab62739dba81fdb99f9.jpeg

IMG_3502.jpeg.ae89b1ab516fd1cde7cb8321c53ad920.jpeg

IMG_3506.jpeg.82ba5770a669012dcf4a48c044f8aa8b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Prayers for Tana, Terry & DB, Melisa & DH, Roy, Pat & Ann, Chuck & Annie, Jacqui, Maurice, Sandi & DB, Nancy’s DB - Nick, Elizabeth, Dixie, Jane & Tony, Terri & Jim and all our caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!
Happy 55th Anniversary @Cruising-alongCarolyn & Henry!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Domaine Jean Dauvissat Pére et Fils 2020 Fourchaume Premier Cru (Chablis)

This lovely wine is at the top of my budget, but if it is as good as the critics and the thousands of consumers who gave it a 4+ rating, I should love to taste it. I found a few online distributors with prices starting at $47.01.

Distributor notes

This is a single Premier Cru vineyard named Fourchaume in the village of Chablis.

Fourchaume is the most famous of the Chablis Premiers Crus. As the hillside is an extension of the Grands Crus, it benefits from the same exposure as the latter (south-west exposure), enabling excellent ripeness even in difficult vintages. 

The wine's extreme roundness is perfectly matched by the minerality typical of Chablis wines.

Domaine Jean Dauvissat is a reliable producer that produces great quality Chablis wines with price that is more affordable. 

The winery is also started working with biodynamic methods, as a way to keep their soils and vines healthy. 

By working the soils, shredding vine shoots, using seeds for a winter vegetation cover and using cow manure composting they can preserve the balance and structure of those soils

Only about 3000 bottles produced yearly.

94 - Wine Enthusiast 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Prayers for all the service workers headed to the south to restore electricity and clear debris.  My two nephews left at 3 am Wednesday for South Carolina.

Dixie

Glad all is well. Most of us East Coast folk were lucky. 

A friend shared a picture of the utility trucks staged in Ocala Wednesday evening. The techs were bussed to local hotels for the night. Now the storm surge/local flooding needs to help them get to where they need to be. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Ocala, FL - All seems to be good here. No power loss. Dead palm fronds down in the back, squirrel nests and a few small branches in the front. DH says about 1" of rain in the gauge - not sure if that included yesterday's 1/4" or not.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

Thank you to all who have checked in from Helene's path.  I hope we hear from @Cruzin Terri soon.  The last I saw they had another tornado warning.  I hope all of you still in the path stay safe.  

It is going to be a nice day here in mid-Michigan.  The forecast calls for partly sunny skies and a high of 71.  My kind of weather.  Nothing on the agenda after the gym until tonight when we are going to watch DN Lili march with the band at the football game.  

@rafinmd Thinking of you and hoping you got a good night's sleep last night with the roommate gone.

@ottahand7 Your DB's situation is horrible.  I hope the lawyer takes his case.

@kazu A new day and I hope it brings you some good news.

@Vict0riann I hope Pat is well enough to come home today and that he is feeling well.

@ger_77 I hope Maurice's tests are all within normal range.  

@smitty34877 Always thinking of you and Tana.  Hugs to you all.

@HAL Sailer Thinking of you and hoping your treatment is going well.

@JazzyV I hope the leg is continuing to improve.  We want you well and full of energy for your cruise.

@StLouisCruisers Hang in there until the biopsy.  I know it has to weigh heavy on your mind not knowing.  

@Cruising-along Happy Anniversary!

Anniversary.jpg.18e32060aa8c93303028cf9526b3e5f1.jpg

Today's meal is a repeat from last winter, but a good one as we are heading into soup and stew season.  It is also a good one for flu and cold season as it is full of great nutrients.  Nourishing Minestrone Soup

Minestrone1.thumb.jpg.e3b7d0e68831aa6b1fc36d7cc6499ea2.jpg

This one has red kidney beans instead of chickpeas and adds in zucchini.  Minestrone Soup

Minestrone3.thumb.jpg.358e3f6cbcd4eec091b95bbf720ece19.jpg

Here's one last take on it.  Feel free to add in veggies you like and leave out those you don't.  The shape of the pasta is up to you.  Just follow the basics of the soup.  Healthy Minestrone Soup

minestrone2.jpeg.d16ef289d557540d2049da2a7c235cf0.jpeg

Wishing you all a great day!   And hoping all our Dailyites come through the storm safe and whole.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 13

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

I occasionally crush the cans before they go into recycling...  Yes, be aware and care for HIV/AIDS, and Happy Birthday Google...  Altho' I'm a Yahoo and Explorer user!!

Can't say I follow today's quote...  I look to a Higher Power than myself when I find the best in me.

Love the rest!!!

7 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Ocala, FL - All seems to be good here. No power loss. Dead palm fronds down in the back, squirrel nests and a few small branches in the front. DH says about 1" of rain in the gauge - not sure if that included yesterday's 1/4" or not.

THANK YOU!!!  @Cruise Suzy  I have a friend who left their home in Perry for refuge in Ocala and I've been worried about her and husband and dog!!  I trust they are safely tucked into a trailer community there!!  And I'm praying for their land and belongings that remained in Perry.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

We have no power so this is short.

We are safe.

We have been under a TORNADO WARNING all night.

We lost power at 1:30 am and it has not yet been restored.  I am  not writing much because I need to conserve the power on our phones for emergencies. 

Thank you for thinking of us.

Will write when power is restored.

Terri

• Like 4
  • Thanks 14