The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 27th, 2024

Happy Anniversary, Carolyn and Henry. looks like Yellowstone is putting on a show for you.

Little news from here. I was glad to see all the check-ins from the path of Helene this morning. Hopefully she will move on quickly and lose some of her power.

Dogs and i will have a quiet day today.... more later after their overdue walks.

Susan

• Like 18

Good morning, 

@Cruising-along Happy Anniversary to you both! Yellowstone is a great place to celebrate it. 

We're back to some typical northwest weather with a mix of sun and clouds but no rain at the moment so that's good. Yesterday did a few errands and then worked on the linen closet mess. Now I need DS to come over and help get things out for donation. He started his first week at the college (he's working towards a human services degree) so his days are mixed up as he gets into a new routine. 

Today is the pool and a few groceries. I have a paper I need to notarize so that my supplement plan can talk to me about DD DH so will hopefully stop by my friends real estate office and have her do that for me. If it doesn't work today I can stop at her open house on Sunday. 

Happy Friday! 

Karen

• Like 18

I do hope everyone in harms way is doing OK. It’s pack up and move day. Flying from Lihue direct to Oakland. Sleep a few hours then up early tomorrow for a 6:00 AM flight home. Phew!

It’s been a wonderful time. 
Thanks for the reports and post. B.

image.jpeg.7ed886e47d6811af1ac15874674a0178.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.80333bed7b07ef2ac61f91323b441ea3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.67f150802798296043d23a0158e31fed.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8bd1cf968643cf4a7bf5496aec6e5e35.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bb17de944732ec6c53bd1bc5cf157eff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2e66919c48c0d1c136e9b6200379d2d9.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Arkansas here we come-

sorry about length of story and pictures

'Cedar Key as we know it is completely gone'

Michael Bobbitt, a resident of Cedar Key, Fla., who stayed behind during Helene, told the New York Times, "Cedar Key as we know it is completely gone."

“The post office is destroyed,” he said of the city in Florida's northwestern Big Bend region, which was also hit by Hurricane Idalia in 2023. “Several restaurants are destroyed. The Jiffy Food Store is destroyed. Vehicles are smashed in and turned upside down. Everything is impassable. It looks like a nuclear bomb went off.”

Workers clear debris in the aftermath of Hurricane Helene, in Cedar Key, Fla., on Sept. 27.

Workers clear debris in the aftermath of Hurricane Helene, in Cedar Key, Fla. (Gerald Herbert/AP)
Debris inside a flooded store after Hurricane Helene made landfall in Cedar Key, Fla.

Debris inside a flooded store in Cedar Key. (Miguel J. Rodriguez Carrillo/Getty Images)
A house destroyed by Hurricane Helene after making landfall is seen in Cedar Key.

A house destroyed by Hurricane Helene in Cedar Key. (Miguel J. Rodriguez Carrillo/Getty Images)
A Cedar Key house destroyed by Hurricane Helene.

A Cedar Key home destroyed by Hurricane Helene. (Miguel J. Rodriguez Carrillo/Getty Images)
Residents, traveling by boat, inspect Cedar Key after Hurricane Helene made landfall.

Residents, traveling by boat, inspect Cedar Key after Hurricane Helene made landfall. (Miguel J. Rodriguez Carrillo/Getty Images)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 14

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I won't be crushing any cans, but I do recycle them. HIV/AIDS awareness is important; I remember when it was thought to be a death sentence. Happy Birthday to Google. Love the quote. I like the meal. Pass on the drink and wine. I have been to Alaska, but not Nome, and it's not on my Alaska cruise next year. A bad day for England, but a good day for Henry Ford.

It's cloudy here and lightly raining. I feel so bad for those places experiencing severe flooding, damage and loss of life. I started the day trying the cast cover to take a shower. It worked, but was like a tourniquet around my thigh. And then taking it off caused the wrap to fall a bit, although I pulled it up as best I could. I've toyed with seeing if I could redo it, but I'll wait. Then the serious packing. Surprisingly I got everything in my one large suitcase. I have a smaller duffle for the road trip to and from Boston. Then a backpack will have all my meds and electronics. So now I can sit down and rest a bit. I just heard that Dame Maggie Smith has died.

@Cruising-along Happy 55th Anniversary to you and Henry! Great photos from Yellowstone. Enjoy the Tetons today. 

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you had power and internet this AM. Stay safe! I'm shocked to see how much GA has been affected. 

@seagarsmoker I'm glad you're ok, and I'm glad Suzi's work has power now.

@Denise T I hear you about the spa. I once had a free massage from my TA, and all the spa personnel did was try to sell me stuff.

@summer slope Bless all the linesmen who are helping out.

@Cruzin Terri Thanks for checking in and letting us know you're safe. And good to hear your power is back. 

@ottahand7 I hope DB is doing better or at least seen by the doctor.

@smitty34877 Thinking of you, Tana and the family, as always.

@marshhawk I'm glad things are ok at your house.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I'm glad you're feeling better. 

@ger_77 Good luck to DH with his scan today.

@kazu I'm glad you found a good dog walker to help you out. I'm sorry you had such a bad night again. Good to hear others on the roll call are helping out, after all the work you'd done for them. Prayers you get your MRI soon and cataract surgery.

@aliaschief Safe travels today and tomorrow.

@rafinmd I hope you got a good night's sleep and are headed to rehab soon.

@Vict0riann Hopefully Pat is doing well and will come home soon.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Just spoke with DDIL in Newnan, GA. She had to do all the storm prep since DS was in New Jersey for the U of Washington football game. She said plenty of rain but wind wasn’t nearly as bad as predicted, thank goodness. Biggest job was getting the canopy off the boat in the rain and not to dry it out. I hope everyone else had minimal damage.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and Happy Friday. We are having an extreme heat advisory all week and it will probably continue into next week. High yesterday was 105F. 

CC has been acting weird yesterday and today. I couldn’t get on for a while both days. 

Craig crushes all our cans. I think he enjoys getting as much recycle as he can into the bin. It really fills up since pickup is now every other week. We’ve never been notified if crushing cans is allowed or not. 

Craig suggested that we go on a cruise for our 50th anniversary this December and wanted only a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean going 2 days early and staying one day afterward. Seems he had it all planned in his head. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. I thought he wanted a long break from cruising after having covid on two different cruises. So we are booked on the Eurodam!  I was surprised even more that I talked him into a 10 day cruise. It’s to the ABC islands and I’m so excited. 

Carolyn and Henry @Cruising-along, Happy Anniversary!!  Wow 55 years, congratulations!  Just think, we will be celebrating the same in 5 years. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 15

Just a quickie... Hello, all, I've been thinking of you, especially those in the path of hurricane Helene!  Happy Anniversary, @Cruising-along, and I echo all of Vanessa's remarks!  Pat called a little while ago, to say the doctors have decided he doesn't need a pacemaker, but now he has to wait for the surgeon to to say if he wants Pat to come come wearing a monitor for a while.  Then, depending on the outcome, he can come home.  He is very bored in there, the TV doesn't work, so most of the time he just lies there in the dark, probably thinking dark thoughts!  Once I get him home, I'm sure he will buck up.  He has to organize the complex's golf tee times for Monday, so he needs to get to his computer.  There are more than 20 who play, although there are always some sickies and some travelling.  I think he only needs 3 tee times for Monday.  He is stuck as administrator, although he hasn't played for a few months, no-one wants to take on the job of herding cats.  

I was sorry to hear about Maggie Smith, she was a wonderful actress.   I'll check in later and let you know how the homecoming went.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

He is very bored in there, the TV doesn't work, so most of the time he just lies there in the dark, probably thinking dark thoughts!

When I had surgery for a broken arm, everyone who came into the room asked if I wanted the TV on, or offered to hand me the remote control (I wasn't allowed to get out of bed unassisted). I had arrived at the hospital without my glasses.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

@StLouisCruisers. I checked the map and an update that said 2 minutes shows the Eurodam about opposite Bellingham to the east and the near Salt Spring Island. It's taken the "slow route" for sure to Victoria. Norwegian Bliss is already docked there. Last night it was up near Ladysmith which is almost opposite Vancouver. I checked the charter website and the itinerary showed Ketchikan so curious as to what is the reason for the detour. 

Stay safe!

Karen

• Like 7

Hi Everyone!

Really good news here from those in the Helene pathway, on any level.

Oh, except for Cedar Key and @marshhawk vacation. So sorry about that! 😔

Many prayers are still in place; the storm is not done yet.🙏🙏

Our hurricane people check in my life so far has been pretty good; I have a niece and her family that came up to MN on Thursday. They live in Gulf Breeze near Pennsicola; they have no electricity but she hasn't heard about any damages so far. They live further out from the center but it is a HUGE storm. They were originally right in the center pathway so they left on Wednesday. They are staying with my sister and her husband; grandma/Mom and grandpa.

We have family friends in Cape Coral; they had rain and wind but no damages. Again they are out from the center pathway. They are good.

My brother has a vacation home in Bradenton; have not heard from him yet. They are not there right now. Hopefully we will hear today or tomorrow; they might not know much yet.

My weekend isn't real busy but tomorrow I will be meeting with friends for the annual sauerkraut making day. Tomorrow is cabbage shredding and it is put into containers with salt etc. to ferment for at least 6 weeks. We will can it all then. We make alot so I have gifts I give to friends and other family members. We are Polish so sauerkraut is a fav. 😄 Our sauerkraut has won a ribbon at the MN State Fair (not to brag..lol) It is a big deal here.

Continued prayers for all with ongoing challenges and health struggles. You are all in our thoughts for comfort and healing.

Safe travels for all traveling.

Please take care all and have a relaxing and calm weekend.

Caron 😎

• Like 7

Good afternoon.  We now have a clean house, at least for a while.  Since I'm still grubby, as soon as I finish here, I'm heading up to the attic to change the a/c filter, and to clean the two electrostatic filters.  Where is DSIL when I need him?  😁

@seagarsmoker  Jody, I'm glad the hospital now has power.

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Power is back.  Don’t know if it is back to stay.

The back yard and golf course is a complete mess.  i am sure that there will be machinery on the course cleaning up the mess and our lawn guy will take care of our property.

The Bug Man rescheduled.  Thankfully.

I am glad that everyone is safe.

i am going to get DH up and get breakfast ready.

More later.

Thank you all for thinking of us.

Terri

Terri, I'm glad your power is back on, and that the damage to the yard is not too bad.

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We don't crush cans any more, in fact today is pick-up day for our cans and bottles.  A local group called Cosmopolitan Industries that has programs for adults with intellectual and related disabilities began a Cans For Cosmo following the pandemic when everyone had a stockpile of cans and bottles due to the shut down.  They deliver a large mesh bag (trust me, it's huge) that you put all but the glass bottles into and come around every 3 months and take it away.  The bottles will go into a separate box.  At the end of the year we get a tax deduction for a charitable donation - it's SO easy!   Thankfully HIV/AIDS isn't the dreaded disease it once was, but it should still be observed.  HBD Mr. Google!

I'm so happy to see our Daily friends checking in to let us know they're safe from Helene - it's tough watching from far away, hoping everything is okay, so I do appreciate folks taking the time.

@Cruising-alongHappy Emerald Anniversary to the two of you; let the love and laughter continue!

We're up early this morning as DH has to have some breakfast but can't eat for 4 hours prior to his CAT scan at 11:30.  I'm usually up at the crack of dark, but thought last night I'd better set the alarm so he has time to eat something, and for some reason, I woke up every hour last night.  I'm pretty sure an afternoon nap is on my agenda for the afternoon.  Speaking of naps, yesterday afternoon DH was talking with his son on the phone and was asked how he was feeling - his response made me laugh - he said "I feel a lot better because I had some extra sleep this morning; the Judge got mad at me and made me go back to bed."  He's so funny, I think I'll keep him.

Not a lot on our program for today, but will have to stop for groceries on the way home; how is it that we've run out of all the essentials at once - eggs, milk and bread?  I'd like the drink of the day, will pass on the wine, and have never been a big fan of minestrone soup, so will let others enjoy it when they can.  Of course it's Friday night pizza night here, so late this afternoon we'll head out to a little place not far from here and pick up something ooey and gooey that we can enjoy for dinner on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is still in the path of Helene, and for all who have health concerns.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, I hope your DH's CT scan does not show any surprises.

4 hours ago, kazu said:

thanks for our Friday Daily, Sandi and thanks to Vanessa & our F & B team.

A rainy night and a dreary day so I ended up in very wet slippers and feet when I took Ivan out (can only wear my slippers right now).  Really impressed with the new dog walkers.  they come today to walk Ivan with my other one’s absence.

Not sure what to do after that - I’ll see how things go this weekend and then decide who will be the alternate or try to.  Just relieved that Ivan will be walked this weekend.  He deserves more than I can give him.

Late to the party - little sleep last night, lots of pain and finally slept so I woke late (for me).  guess I will try take the Gabapentin 4 times a day and see if that works.  Sigh.

I have most of my tours covered except 2 so today will be spread sheets, contacting tours, transfers etc to establish new organizers.  Just grateful that roll call members stepped up to help and keep the tours in place. 

@Cruising-along a very happy 15th anniversary to you & Henry 🙂 

I hope everyone was able to safe during the hurricane and those that are about to face it can be safe.  Horrific power in this storm.

Prayers for those on the Care list and all who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and Lucy enough to cruise.

Jacqui, I'm happy you have some good dog walkers for Ivan, and people on the roll call have stepped up to handle the tours.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you for all the anniversary wishes! We really appreciate it. 55 years sure went fast!

Today we’re heading for Grand Tetons for the day. Here are some photos from our first day in Yellowstone yesterday. The grand finale of the day was watching with 6 rangers and a large crowd a bull elk rounding up a huge group of females. It’s rut season now and dangerous. 

Prayers for all on the Care list. 

Sorry for upside down photos. CC and WiFi aren’t helpful today. Some photos won’t load either. 

IMG_4910.jpeg

IMG_4863.jpeg

IMG_4859.jpeg

IMG_4884.jpeg

Carolyn, thanks for the pictures.  We were in Yellowstone during rutting season once.  The bull elk are very loud.

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

I do hope everyone in harms way is doing OK. It’s pack up and move day. Flying from Lihue direct to Oakland. Sleep a few hours then up early tomorrow for a 6:00 AM flight home. Phew!

It’s been a wonderful time. 
Thanks for the reports and post. B.

image.jpeg.7ed886e47d6811af1ac15874674a0178.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.80333bed7b07ef2ac61f91323b441ea3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.67f150802798296043d23a0158e31fed.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8bd1cf968643cf4a7bf5496aec6e5e35.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bb17de944732ec6c53bd1bc5cf157eff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2e66919c48c0d1c136e9b6200379d2d9.jpeg

Bruce, safe travels today and tomorrow.  Thank you for one last sunset picture.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Arkansas here we come-

sorry about length of story and pictures

'Cedar Key as we know it is completely gone'

Michael Bobbitt, a resident of Cedar Key, Fla., who stayed behind during Helene, told the New York Times, "Cedar Key as we know it is completely gone."

“The post office is destroyed,” he said of the city in Florida's northwestern Big Bend region, which was also hit by Hurricane Idalia in 2023. “Several restaurants are destroyed. The Jiffy Food Store is destroyed. Vehicles are smashed in and turned upside down. Everything is impassable. It looks like a nuclear bomb went off.”

Workers clear debris in the aftermath of Hurricane Helene, in Cedar Key, Fla., on Sept. 27.

Workers clear debris in the aftermath of Hurricane Helene, in Cedar Key, Fla. (Gerald Herbert/AP)
Debris inside a flooded store after Hurricane Helene made landfall in Cedar Key, Fla.

Debris inside a flooded store in Cedar Key. (Miguel J. Rodriguez Carrillo/Getty Images)

A house destroyed by Hurricane Helene after making landfall is seen in Cedar Key.

A house destroyed by Hurricane Helene in Cedar Key. (Miguel J. Rodriguez Carrillo/Getty Images)

A Cedar Key house destroyed by Hurricane Helene.

A Cedar Key home destroyed by Hurricane Helene. (Miguel J. Rodriguez Carrillo/Getty Images)

Residents, traveling by boat, inspect Cedar Key after Hurricane Helene made landfall.

Residents, traveling by boat, inspect Cedar Key after Hurricane Helene made landfall. (Miguel J. Rodriguez Carrillo/Getty Images)

Annie, thank you for sharing the pictures of Cedar Key.  I feel so sorry for the residents.

42 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I won't be crushing any cans, but I do recycle them. HIV/AIDS awareness is important; I remember when it was thought to be a death sentence. Happy Birthday to Google. Love the quote. I like the meal. Pass on the drink and wine. I have been to Alaska, but not Nome, and it's not on my Alaska cruise next year. A bad day for England, but a good day for Henry Ford.

It's cloudy here and lightly raining. I feel so bad for those places experiencing severe flooding, damage and loss of life. I started the day trying the cast cover to take a shower. It worked, but was like a tourniquet around my thigh. And then taking it off caused the wrap to fall a bit, although I pulled it up as best I could. I've toyed with seeing if I could redo it, but I'll wait. Then the serious packing. Surprisingly I got everything in my one large suitcase. I have a smaller duffle for the road trip to and from Boston. Then a backpack will have all my meds and electronics. So now I can sit down and rest a bit. I just heard that Dame Maggie Smith has died.

@Cruising-along Happy 55th Anniversary to you and Henry! Great photos from Yellowstone. Enjoy the Tetons today. 

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you had power and internet this AM. Stay safe! I'm shocked to see how much GA has been affected. 

@seagarsmoker I'm glad you're ok, and I'm glad Suzi's work has power now.

@Denise T I hear you about the spa. I once had a free massage from my TA, and all the spa personnel did was try to sell me stuff.

@summer slope Bless all the linesmen who are helping out.

@Cruzin Terri Thanks for checking in and letting us know you're safe. And good to hear your power is back. 

@ottahand7 I hope DB is doing better or at least seen by the doctor.

@smitty34877 Thinking of you, Tana and the family, as always.

@marshhawk I'm glad things are ok at your house.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I'm glad you're feeling better. 

@ger_77 Good luck to DH with his scan today.

@kazu I'm glad you found a good dog walker to help you out. I'm sorry you had such a bad night again. Good to hear others on the roll call are helping out, after all the work you'd done for them. Prayers you get your MRI soon and cataract surgery.

@aliaschief Safe travels today and tomorrow.

@rafinmd I hope you got a good night's sleep and are headed to rehab soon.

@Vict0riann Hopefully Pat is doing well and will come home soon.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm glad the cast cover protected the wrap on your leg.  I was wondering the stretchy, non-adhesive bandage wrap around the top of the wrap would keep it from slipping.  I'm glad you are packed for your cruise.

25 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning and Happy Friday. We are having an extreme heat advisory all week and it will probably continue into next week. High yesterday was 105F. 

CC has been acting weird yesterday and today. I couldn’t get on for a while both days. 

Craig crushes all our cans. I think he enjoys getting as much recycle as he can into the bin. It really fills up since pickup is now every other week. We’ve never been notified if crushing cans is allowed or not. 

Craig suggested that we go on a cruise for our 50th anniversary this December and wanted only a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean going 2 days early and staying one day afterward. Seems he had it all planned in his head. Well, I was pleasantly surprised. I thought he wanted a long break from cruising after having covid on two different cruises. So we are booked on the Eurodam!  I was surprised even more that I talked him into a 10 day cruise. It’s to the ABC islands and I’m so excited. 

Carolyn and Henry @Cruising-along, Happy Anniversary!!  Wow 55 years, congratulations!  Just think, we will be celebrating the same in 5 years. 

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, congratulations on booking the anniversary cruise.  Maybe you can talk Crain into the Hawaii cruise in January.

25 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Just a quickie... Hello, all, I've been thinking of you, especially those in the path of hurricane Helene!  Happy Anniversary, @Cruising-along, and I echo all of Vanessa's remarks!  Pat called a little while ago, to say the doctors have decided he doesn't need a pacemaker, but now he has to wait for the surgeon to to say if he wants Pat to come come wearing a monitor for a while.  Then, depending on the outcome, he can come home.  He is very bored in there, the TV doesn't work, so most of the time he just lies there in the dark, probably thinking dark thoughts!  Once I get him home, I'm sure he will buck up.  He has to organize the complex's golf tee times for Monday, so he needs to get to his computer.  There are more than 20 who play, although there are always some sickies and some travelling.  I think he only needs 3 tee times for Monday.  He is stuck as administrator, although he hasn't played for a few months, no-one wants to take on the job of herding cats.  

I was sorry to hear about Maggie Smith, she was a wonderful actress.   I'll check in later and let you know how the homecoming went.  

Ann, I hope Pat is able to come home today.  That will be such a morale booster for both of you.  I was also sad to hear of Maggie Smith's death.

Lenda

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sharon, congratulations on booking the anniversary cruise.  Maybe you can talk Crain into the Hawaii cruise in January.

Thank you Lenda. Unfortunately, he has told me that he doesn’t want to sail to Hawaii again and never for that long. I would love to go back but the price is just too much right now. Maybe in a few years Craig will change his mind. 

• Like 4