Passport Questions

vesw01

Will you need a passport for Canada as well as Mexico? I was thinking of doing an Alaskan Cruise, but realized that we would sale from or to Canada.

Also, I just read that the US Govt added a $12 security fee to passport processing - does anyone know how much a passport is these days?

Will you need a passport for Canada as well as Mexico? I was thinking of doing an Alaskan Cruise, but realized that we would sale from or to Canada.

Also, I just read that the US Govt added a $12 security fee to passport processing - does anyone know how much a passport is these days?

Perhaps you could look at the passport site. Google and AskJeeves are also informative.:rolleyes:

.......Also, I just read that the US Govt added a $12 security fee to passport processing - does anyone know how much a passport is these days?
I just applied for mine on 3-16 and it cost me $97.95 when all was said and done at the post office:

$67.00 ($55 application fee & $12 security surcharge)

$.95 (money order fee.... maybe because I paid with cash????)

$30.00 (excecution fee)

photos would be extra but mine were free at AAA with a gold card.

John

:) We applied for renewal at our local county seat . . . $5 for pic and the $67 fee, plus the priority mail fee as our old passports were returned with the application and checks.

:eek: However, there are deep mysteries as to how the powers that be processed our applications, as my spouse's was received after five weeks wait (priority mail) . . . and mine was delayed and came in a plain grown envelope (83 cents postage) three weeks later from of all places Portsmouth NH.

:cool: The checks were cashed in the same location on the same day. While wondering what was happening (six weeks after applying), I checked the online system and my application was not in their records. After many tries I finally reached the proper person by phone, and was told my passport had been sent out three days previously.

:confused: Confused . . . you bet I am, but we have the precious papers now. APPLY EARLY, give them 10 weeks or more (they say six to eight weeks).

:)

:confused: Confused . . . you bet I am, but we have the precious papers now.

Unfortunately, there is a one word answer to your confusion. Now everyone, say it with me slowly. Bureaucracy. Now you know. ;) :D

Wow I had no idea that the prices had gone up so much. I think it is a shame that we are going to need them to go to Canada...especially if you are just passing through like we would be for a cruise.

At some point, we are just going to have to bite the bullet and apply

Technically, you will not actually need a passport if you are a U.S. citizen traveling to Canada until the end of 2006. It does make things much easier, but you can get by with a certified copy of your birth certificate and a driver's license. We moved to Canada from the U.S. last July and have had several visitors come up and stay with us since. Two of them did not have passports and were able to get through customs very quickly even without them. It's up to you whether you want to purchase one or not, but it is not a requirement yet.

Actually, it is up to the country you are visiting to decide whether or not you need a passport to enter their country.

However, by 2007 or 2008 if you leave the United States or our territories, the US Government will require you have a valid passport in order to enter back into the United States.

So it isn't really the other countries you need to worry so much about.

They aren't changing their requirements, we are.

Archived