The Amerikanis Candris line

HI DIVA!!!...AND EVERYONE!!!

So nice to see some AMERIKANIS fans out there. She is very much missed by many of us veterans. Hopefully I will be able to pass on some pics to DIVA soon. I have been promising to do this but have just been without time.:o

COMING SOON!!!:D

ROSS

CruiseDivaNJ OMG those are awesome pics from that cruise! That was my first cruise ever and OMG I thought I was a Queen for a week. LOL The food is what I miss from this ship, cause to me out of the other 7 cruises that I have been on this one had the best. I went on my Alaskan cruise and it was beautiful. I feel some of God's most beautiful creations are in Alaska. I hope to one day go on this cruise again. I have booked my next cruise on Voyager of the Seas March 23rd of 2008 so hey if any of you are interested I would love to meet you. Sorry I haven't been on for quite some time but I had lost this thread. Thanks again for sharing those memories Diva and I the thing I remember from the pics are those chairs outside. Funny how one thing always brings back memories. TTYL Janice :)

I didn't sail on the Amerikanis but I did sail on Chandris' MV Azur. It was my very first cruise leaving Barbados on April 1, 1988 and sailing northward and then returning to Barbados.

It was my first cruise and I thought that I died and went to heaven. I was just blown away by all the glitz, glamour and everything. That is, until two years later I sailed on Royal Caribbean's Viking Serenade and it was then that I realized that the Azur was the bottom of the barrel. LOL But, having said that, that very first cruise still holds the fondest memories for me.

I'm heading off on my 8th cruise in November and I owe it all to Chandris Cruises for making me want to cruise again.

Tink, Calgary

HI DIVA!!!...AND EVERYONE!!!

So nice to see some AMERIKANIS fans out there. She is very much missed by many of us veterans. Hopefully I will be able to pass on some pics to DIVA soon. I have been promising to do this but have just been without time.:o

COMING SOON!!!:D

ROSS

Hey there!!!

Okay, where have I been? Lost on CruiseCritic to be honest!! :)

Glad you stopped by! I cant beleive these pics are from....'87 :eek:

I know Ross.,..time is a hot commodity...but stop holding out on us fans!

:D

CruiseDivaNJ OMG those are awesome pics from that cruise! That was my first cruise ever and OMG I thought I was a Queen for a week. LOL I have booked my next cruise on Voyager of the Seas March 23rd of 2008

Thanks again for sharing those memories Diva and I the thing I remember from the pics are those chairs outside.

Glad you enjoyed!!! It was my first cruise as well! Even though I experienced getting seasick and met the nurse,lol I still wanted to cruise again.

I didn't sail on the Amerikanis but I did sail on Chandris' MV Azur. It was my very first cruise leaving Barbados on April 1, 1988 and sailing northward and then returning to Barbados.

It was my first cruise and I thought that I died and went to heaven. I was just blown away by all the glitz, glamour and everything. That is, until two years later I sailed on Royal Caribbean's Viking Serenade and it was then that I realized that the Azur was the bottom of the barrel. LOL But, having said that, that very first cruise still holds the fondest memories for me.

I'm heading off on my 8th cruise in November and I owe it all to Chandris Cruises for making me want to cruise again.

Tink, Calgary

Now that I think about it....so do I!! LOL

thankyourose.gif Chandris....

• 4 weeks later...

Amerikanis was my first cruise too. I got to her a bit late though--1991. My roommate and I decided we had never done anything for spring break so for our senior year we were going to do it up big! What a wonderful cruise. I don't remember a list to the ship but I do remember bumping into the walls of the corridors because there was a LOT of movement. Our cabin was WAY down in the bottom of the ship--interior. But as I recall it was really really big! Well, comparatively. The service was unbelievable. One of our favorite memories is going into the dining room for lunch. We were a little late, not knowing any better for the formal seating that lunch was and as we reached our table an assistant waiter literally vaulted over some other chairs to get to us to pull our chairs out for us. We had such a hard time maintaining our women of the world demeanor! They were truly the stereotypical "take a sip our of your glass and it is refilled" service set up.

Wonderful wonderful memories. I still love cruising but somehow no other cruise or ship has ever matched that one!

OK DIVA!!!:D

I sent you the pictures...the rest is up to you!!! LOL!!! I just hope you can do something with them.:)

ROSS

Hi Ross!!!

I did get the pics!! I have to find some time to play around w/ them.....I can repost them the way they are, or try to crop and enlarge and post! I will work on them next week for sure!!

Thanks!! They are very cool!!

Wonderful wonderful memories. I still love cruising but somehow no other cruise or ship has ever matched that one!

momof3cruisers,

What a WONDERFUL story!! Thanks for sharing it!! I first cruised in..(uh oh I have to check my signature,lol) well, in the early 80s, hehehe...make that 1987 lolol

and I also will always have a fondness for the Amerikanis, but I enjoy the ships of today because they are built with stabilizers that seriously REDUCE bouncing off the walls, and getting seasick.

Even though I experiences some nasty sea sickness on the Amerikanis, I quickly forgot about it! :)

I do love cruising too!! If you have any pictures to share, feel free!

Happy Sailings,

CruiseDivaNJ

THANKS DIVA!!!

TAKE YOUR TIME...please try to enlarge them...I think you see a lot more that way. Once you have them up...I will be able to add some commentary for each one. These pictures are from 1972!!!:eek:...and I hope they come close to capturing how nice cruising was way back then!!!

ROSS

• 3 weeks later...

My first cruise was in the early 80's on the Amerikanis. A few years ago, I sailed on the Constellation. The Constellation's captain's first ship was the Amerikanis. He had the metal sculptures from the Amerikanis brought onto the Constellation. They were ( and maybe still are) on display on the wall in the pool area.

When he heard , through friends of ours, that our first cruise was on the Amerikanis, we received an invitation to the officer's table . We were treated like royalty. He had other obligations so I never met him, but I was so pleased that we had a bond in our lmemories of the Amerikanis.

Ok I found this thread again. :) Hey Diva, I would also love to see those pics when you get a chance. I know it's hard to find time but I am not in any hurry. LOL :D Thanks Diva for bringing back such wonderful memories. Janice

Well, thank you everyone!!

Ross, it is just a matter of finding the time!! They cant really be resized, to resize them- even if I crop each first- the resolution gets too big and the quality gets so blurry and grainy they arent worth trhe post.

I will post them as you sent them and we will see how they look!! :)

HI DIVA!!!

OK!!! If I could have taken them out of the book I would have...but they are glued on:eek:. I even tried photographing them with the digital..but they did not look good at all. Is there anyway you can just blow up the page to a bigger size???

GOOD LUCK!!!

ROSS

• 1 month later...

I can't beleive there is a thread for this ship.My husband and I sailed her (Ist, almost last cruise) April 1970 New York to Bermuda and Nasauu.I was 3 months pregnant, cruise planned before the pregnancy.I was so sick the whole cruise and almost lost my now 37 year old son.I think going around Cape Haderus did me in.Spent most of the cruise in the cabin.We were one of the 3 young couples onboard.It was not a great cruise for us and we did not cruise for another 34 years. Now we are making up for lost time and really love cruising.We are of course right in our element. being in our 60's and me not being pregnant.I had forgotten about skeet shooting until I read this thread.

Glad you found the thread and it brought back memories (good? bad?, lol) Our first cruise on Amerikanis wasnt the best either...I wasnt pregnant but I did experience what it is to be seasick and get a 'shot' from the nurse because it was SO BAD! We also didnt cruise for some time, but mostly b/c we had young children. We're also making up for the non-cruising years and taking our teens with us as we gooooooooo!!!

• 1 month later...

Back in 1975 we were looking to take out first cruise. We convinced our best friends to join us, but they could not afford to book a separate cabin. So the 4 of us stayed in one stateroom and had a memorable experience. We packed that little cabin with all our family for a "bon voyage" party (yes they were still allowed back then), a case of champagne and another of soda. We then went on deck to throw our streamers off the side and way good bye to our family and friends. 32 years ago and the memories are like yesterday. We sailed on a 7 nighter to Bermuda and tried to do everthing as if we would never take another cruise. It turned out that way for our friends, but not for us. we feel in love with cruising and there is nothing to compare with the New York skyline when you sail down the Hudson River.

A few years later we once again sailed on the Amerikanis on a cruise to nowhere. We did not know what ship we were going to sail on until we got there. What a pleasant surprise when we arrived to find our first cruise ship waiting for us. Needless to say we stayed up all night. Like everyone else she has provided many fond memories, even though she can not be compared to the monsters of today.

• 10 months later...

There is a great book on the complete history of Chandris. It covers the inception of the line through to its morphing into Celebrity. title "The Chandris Liners and Celebrity Cruises". By Peter Plowman. It is illustrated and well worth a read. :)

There is a great book on the complete history of Chandris. It covers the inception of the line through to its morphing into Celebrity. title "The Chandris Liners and Celebrity Cruises". By Peter Plowman. It is illustrated and well worth a read

Ellenis~

http://www.amazon.com/Chandris-Liners-Celebrity-Cruises/dp/1877058475/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228193117&sr=8-1

It's a fantastic book, and a must read for all of you who are nostalgic for the Amerikanis as she figures very prominently.

Enjoy-

Stan & Jim

• 1 month later...
I was just thinking about the first cruise I ever took - Candris Line, I was wondering what ever happened to that Line and Ship. I sailed her 18 years ago on my honeymoon. Anyone else?

**wow, so nice to hear good memories on this nice lady, Amerikanis. I worked as cruise staff sailing out of Puerto Rico from november '90 to about..april '91. She, the Britannis and the Victoria were an icon to luxuries of the past.... going back to sailing, as passenger this time...very anxious for the stars.....nothing like gazing at them in the middle of nowhere.

She, the Britannis and the Victoria were an icon to luxuries of the past.

I agree with you. On the other hand, I missed you by about a decade. My first cruise was on THE VICTORIA, a two-week April 1979 Mediterranean sailing RT from Venice and my second cruise was on AMERIKANIS in March 1980, the same Caribbean run that you did. I never had the pleasure of sailing on the BRITAINIS though.

Though we never sailed on the Amerikanis, our group of 8 did sail on the Brittanis, leaving from Miami on Halloween Day in 1993 for a 5 night cruise. We had such a great time, as it was the first (or 2nd cruise) for most of us. The rooms were small and different in layout, although we all paid the same fare.

On another note, the Chandris lines did own the Australis for several years. This was the ship that was originally the SS America for the United States Lines. The America was the predecessor to the SS United States. Both were designed by William F. Gibbs. She also was named the Italis after returning to Chandris from another line. The only reason I know all this information was that during World War II, my father sailed on the USS West Point, which was the SS America. She was, as were almost all Ocean Liners, during the war, converted into a troop ship. He was one of seveal thousand Marines transported either to or from the Pacific theatre during the war. He couldn't believe when I was able to show him pictures of her during her "glory days." I believe she was still under Chandris control when she grounded on some reef/rocks outside of the Canary Islands in 2004. A sad ending for such a great ship.

• 2 weeks later...