Horseback riding in St Lucia

wdphokie

Hi Sunset39,

I am so happy to read such great things about the horse ride. We are booked for February. We also were quoted $100.00 and there will only be 6 of us. Our ship is in port or a day when they do not have a regular tour scheduled. I do have a couple of questions.

How did you get on the horses once they took the saddles off so that you could ride them in the ocean? I am asking because I am not the smallest of women and I know I cannot just jump up on the horse. I was thinking that I may have to float on once he is in the water.

Also, is the ride pretty much nose to tail? Or do they give you some free time to let the horse go?

I am so excited for this tour, once I read about it on the boards I was set, I had to do it.

If we bring a towel and some other clothes is there a place to put the things or do we have to carry them while on the horses?

Sorry for all the questinos but it is great that you just did this.

Thanks,

Mary

I doubt you will have any trouble mounting with the saddle off. The trail boss is a tough guy and will be able to assist you but you can always try your second option. Like I said I doubt you will have any problems.

The ride is nose to tail from the stable to the beach but once there they do allow you to enjoy yourself at a hand gallop or canter depending on your riding skills.As far as possessions go,they locked it in the trunk of a car for us. It was pretty secure and there was always someone there to keep an eye on things.Are you doing the calypso ride? If you are then all your stuff will be taken to the beach on a vehicle. Once you get there you will feel completely safe so don't worry too much.

Would I be able to wear sandals on the horse?

We are booked for next week and would like to eliminate some of these shoes!! I never wear sneakers, so would take them only if I HAVE TO wear them for the ride.

Hello all! It seems that not too long ago I was on this message board trying to get information about horseback riding in St. Lucia. I just got home from my cruise 2 days ago and wish i was back on the Crown Princess already!!

My friend and I went with the International Pony Club. It was EXCELLENT!! We did the 4 hour ride with BBQ. There is definitely enough time to complete the 4 hour ride. You get picked up at the pier and get to spend a great 4 hours riding and eating an amazing bbq lunch.

The guides were very good with horses and were so much fun to ride with. They put each person on a horse that would best suit them. They offered english and western saddles.

I highly recommend this stable. It was one of the best days of my life! I bought a t-shirt from the stable and took plenty of pictures so that I could remember the day forever. If you are a looking for a great stable then International Pony Club is definitely the one. :)

Would I be able to wear sandals on the horse?

We are booked for next week and would like to eliminate some of these shoes!! I never wear sneakers, so would take them only if I HAVE TO wear them for the ride.

I would suggest wearing sneakers as they would be more comfortable

Anyone have problems contacting international pony club? I tried to make a reservation on their website but receive errors. They replied to one email but have not provided any confirmations after I emailed about the errors I ran into. Is there an alternative email or is my only option left to call them?

I know many people recommend atlantic shores but there will only be 2 of us riding and I can not justify paying $125 vs 70 for a beach bbq and ride.

Anyone have problems contacting international pony club? I tried to make a reservation on their website but receive errors. They replied to one email but have not provided any confirmations after I emailed about the errors I ran into. Is there an alternative email or is my only option left to call them?

I know many people recommend atlantic shores but there will only be 2 of us riding and I can not justify paying $125 vs 70 for a beach bbq and ride.

I compared the 2 stables before I booked and Atlantic Shores Riding Stable was the best choice because of the great service and personal touches(they responded by phone instead of the email) and they sent some amazing photos to me.You can compare the trail and ocean photos from the other stables in St.Lucia and Atlantic Shores by far offers the best. Like I said in previous postings my family and I were treated with the highest level of hospitality once we got there. That I believe was well worth the extra money on top of the most beautiful views of the Atlantic coast.Also they had a live steel pan group to entertain us...no one else offered that.The ride to the stable took us through the rain forest before we got to Honeymoon Beach where we rode along the shores and into the ocean...Best value for the extra dollars. Hope this helps.If you want to truly experience the Caribbean then ride with this stable.They threw in so many extras including the best tasting rum punch ;) :p

We just returned this week from our cruise. We used Atlantic Shores and had a great day. There were only 4 of us, we paid $100.00 each and felt we got a great deal.

The ride over was ok. We had read that it was a awsome drive. We felt it was pretty in places but still very long. About 1 1/2 hour. We stopped several places for incredable views and were able to take pictures. We also drove thru a rainforest that was fun. That said, the trip was WELL WORTH THE RIDE.

When we arrived we were given horses suited to our ability...one of us had not been on a horse in 50 years! We were offered helmets, some instructions and then we were on our way. We had worn our Bathing suits under our jeans. It worked ok for me but my DH said he wished he would have taken his suit and changed on the beach. It was uncomfortable inside his jeans. There were lots of trees etc at the beach so he would be able to change very easily once there. None of us had closed toed shoes. I was wearing flip flops, the guys were in "water sandles" and none of us had any problem. We each had a towel, underware in a zip lock bag (that the guys carried in small backpacks) and a bottle of water that was in a case that we could hang over the saddle during the ride. If you don't wear the helmet and choose to wear a hat, make sure it is tied or attached to your shirt or it will blow off. I do suggest some type of head covering as parts of the ride is in the sun.

We rode for over an hour thru woods, over an open area and along a cliff right next to a beach. We then decended to the beach and rode along the shoreline and into the surf. When we arrived at Honeymoon beach there was music from a steel drum and food and drink awaiting us. We all took a swim and then had lunch. After lunch I was the only one that chose to ride the horse in the water and it was AWESOME. When it was time to leave, we went into the "woods" that was at the beach and changed out of our bathing suits...putting the wet suits into the zip lock bags that had held our underware! It worked great.

We rode back a different route...a little shorter than the one we came on. Once we reached our starting point we were given a choice of beer or yummy rum punch. There is a large flush bathroom where you start/end the trip.

Our only suggestion to the guys was that they add a "picnic" table of some sort at the beach as it was a bit uncomfortable eating while sitting on the beach on our towels. They indicated that they were going to do this ASAP.

We had a great time and would do it again tomorrow. We were a bit sore that night and the next day, but nothing that slowed us down. The guys were great, very kind and helpful.

:cool: " It's now official...we are going back to St.Lucia on the 6th of April for one full week... this time by plane (American Airlines) and without the kids. We've already contacted Atlantic Shores Riding Stables about another tour with them and their beautiful horses. Since we will have more time to really explore St.Lucia, they've arranged a wonderful day package to take us around the island to snorkel, ATV, visit the Diamond Waterfalls and Volcano and to a few beaches where we can relax in the sun. They made all arrangements for us to rent a house for the week that way we can truly experience the local culture (instead of an all inclusive). My wife and I couldn’t get enough of this beautiful place so here we go again...I will keep the board posted of our Excursions..." They also attached this link with video of the trail we last rode. I thought it would be very helpful to share it on here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWmFCgQlGbU

:) " It's now official...we are going back to St.Lucia on the 6th of April for one full week... this time by plane (American Airlines) and without the kids. We've already contacted Atlantic Shores Riding Stables about another tour with them and their beautiful horses. Since we will have more time to really explore St.Lucia, they've arranged a wonderful day package to take us around the island to snorkel, ATV, visit the Diamond Waterfalls and Volcano and to a few beaches where we can relax in the sun. They made all arrangements for us to rent a house for the week that way we can truly experience the local culture (instead of an all inclusive). My wife and I couldn’t get enough of this beautiful place so here we go again...I will keep the board posted of our Excursions..." They also attached this link with video of the trail we last rode. I thought it would be very helpful to share it on here. I'm sure everyone will enjoy it as much as we did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWmFCgQlGbU

:) :D " It's now official...we are going back to St.Lucia on the 6th of April for one full week... this time by plane (American Airlines) and without the kids. We've already contacted Atlantic Shores Riding Stables about another tour with them and their beautiful horses. Since we will have more time to really explore St.Lucia, they've arranged a wonderful day package to take us around the island to snorkel, ATV, visit the Diamond Waterfalls and Volcano and to a few beaches where we can relax in the sun. They made all arrangements for us to rent a house for the week that way we can truly experience the local culture (instead of an all inclusive). My wife and I couldn’t get enough of this beautiful place so here we go again...I will keep the board posted of our Excursions..." They also attached this link with video of the trail we last rode. I thought it would be very helpful to share it on here and I know everyone will enjoy it as much as we did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWmFCgQlGbU

• 2 weeks later...

My family just returned yesterday from the Carnival Legend. We too had reserved the day with atlantic shores. From the time of making the reservation (via phone) to the time we arrived. the communication was great. Our ship time was one hour earlier than the local time so this confusion was cleared up with one phone call to Curt. We were picked up by Alvin in a nice lexus. The drive was just over an hour. This is due to the windy roads and the construction going on. It was a nice drive however. When we arrived we were greated by Curt, Max, Tippin and 3 other men. the three other men headed out to do the picnic BBQ on the beach so it would be ready when we arrived. We were matched to a horse equal to our riding skills and we had all levels. I was surprised that there were 3 guides riding with us since there were only the 4 of us, DH and DS and DD.

The ride was thru scruffy areas at first then up on to meadows by the cliffs. Below the surf crashed on the rocks. It was beautiful!! We crossed two beaches before reaching our picnic beach. As we rode up I could hear the steel drums playing. It was wonderful. We dismounted and were offered Tuna, Chicken, Salad, Potato salad, juice, and water. I recommend you bring a bottle of water for the ride as you get very thirsty while you ride the first hour or so. Also sun screen is a must expecially on your arms because they are stretched out holding on to the reins.

Afte we ate the told us we could swim or do what we wanted. (this is when they ate). I asked if I could take my horse into the water. they took off the saddle and I rode bareback into the surf. My horse didn't want to go any deeper than it's chest. The surf was a bit rough tht day.

then we rode another 45 minutes back to the stables.

We were offered rum punch and beer. Then the driver arrived to take us back to the pier with plenty of time to shop.

I would highley recommend this outfit for horseback riding!!

P.S. they are working on a website for thier company.

I really enjoy reading about the great times you all have had on this excursion. It brings back some great memories of our visit there last August. Is Rhon still there? He was a great host, as was Max and Curt.

Looking forward to returning again someday...

Steph,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful experience. It sounds like you guys had a nice time. How long did the entire excursion last? What kind of juice did they offer? I hope it was rum punch. How was the food?

Thanks again!!!!

It was four hours. At the picnic they had water and a yellow juice (I didn't try it) and a red spiced punch (no alcohol). the food was OK it was fine but nothing too special. grilled tuna and chicken...lettuce salad and kind of strange potato salad...it had no mayo or sauce on it and had mix veg. in it. I just put italian dressing on it and that made it fine.

We were given rum punch at the end.

they had beer but someone forgot to put it on ice.

I really enjoy reading about the great times you all have had on this excursion. It brings back some great memories of our visit there last August. Is Rhon still there? He was a great host, as was Max and Curt.

Looking forward to returning again someday...

Rhon is still there, at least I conversed via email with him, but he wasn't on the ride.

• 6 months later...

[i heard about this stable on Cruise Critic and I’m so thankful for all the reviews that were posted. It made our vacation to the islands a dream come true. I recently rode with Atlantic Shores Riding Stables in St.Lucia. The ride was breath taking and the horses were marvelous. We were impressed the moment we mounted our horses. The trails are so open and natural…making you feel like you own the world. It was never boring and the scenery changed constantly leaving you in awe of this beautiful lil piece of heaven. We loved the private beach and the cliffs overlooking the Atlantic Ocean . Our guides and horses were very patient and they made our trip to St.Lucia a memory to last forever.

This sounds wonderful. We love to ride and have taken several ranch vacations (Arizona, Montana, & Alberta). Is this a nose to tail? Or do you really get to ride? Also, any idea how many they can take on one trip? We'll have a large group on a SOS cruise in April -

Thanks - and I've really enjoyed reading these posts.

Sandy

We did horseback riding through Serenity which used the International Pony Club stables. Worse horseback riding experience ever. The people were rude, the ride was too short, and you weren't allowed to do anything or they'd yell at you (a slight trot was out of the question) and treat you as if you had no clue what you were doing with the horses...which I obviously do know since I've been riding since I was little. Just awful.

This sounds wonderful. We love to ride and have taken several ranch vacations (Arizona, Montana, & Alberta). Is this a nose to tail? Or do you really get to ride? Also, any idea how many they can take on one trip? We'll have a large group on a SOS cruise in April -

Thanks - and I've really enjoyed reading these posts.

Sandy

I’m certain the guide at Atlantic Shores Stables mentioned they had 20 plus horses but could accommodate 10 or 12 riders at one time. There were approximately 15 grazing near the ocean. It was a private ride so we did not have the usual nose to tail and they allowed us to canter once we got to the beach. Overall it was a lovely experience and we would certainly do it again. We were free to ride as we pleased once our guide was convinced we were capable enough to handle our horses. To answer your question we did get to RIDE. The video posted from youtube in the previous posts helped with our decision so maybe you should take a look at it. Happy riding

I’m certain the guide at Atlantic Shores Stables mentioned they had 20 plus horses but could accommodate 10 or 12 riders at one time. There were approximately 15 grazing near the ocean. It was a private ride so we did not have the usual nose to tail and they allowed us to canter once we got to the beach. Overall it was a lovely experience and we would certainly do it again. We were free to ride as we pleased once our guide was convinced we were capable enough to handle our horses. To answer your question we did get to RIDE. The video posted from youtube in the previous posts helped with our decision so maybe you should take a look at it. Happy riding

Same with my family of four. we had two guides, three guy cooking and another guy who does thier marketing so he was takin pics.

We had a great time. I rode bareback in the Ocean. Once they realize your capability they let you have fun!!

Archived