Packing for the cruise...hm

ShadoWdrummer

Wow! You must be very organized, or very brave!:) I start packing abut two weeks ahead of time for any vacation, that way I can add or take away anything I need or do not need. I am not very oraganized, so when I pack way ahead of time, I am forced to be organized.

I always plan for packing weeks, even months in advance. Two weeks before the cruise I am certain that I will pack the following week, finishing a couple of days before we leave. However, I always end up packing at the last minute anyway! Not sure why this happens, but right before we leave the house, I'm still running upstairs to retrieve the brown belt, or the shampoo, or the camera!....

I cruised in January. I "started" packing in the summer since I'm a college student and wouldn't be at home in the fall. So I started putting stuff in my suitcases that I wanted to make sure I didn't lose. Then a couple weeks before, I started actually packing so that stuff was rolled, folded and so on.

I don't get the luggage out until the day before any trip I'm taking. At one time, I had a 'travel drawer' in one of my dressers, with all the necessities for travel - cruise or land vacations - like travel clock, sunscreen, beach towel, Bonine, etc. Everything handy for the next vacation.

Clothing - I put everything together in one spot in a closet a coupla days before, along w/the shoes (I do a lot of mix-and-match packing), and I actually pack everything the night before I leave.

I'm a last minute packer too, ShadoWdrummer. I pretty much planned what to bring and did have most of it hanging together so it wasn't too bad. I'm always still doing laundry until the night before because of the family more than me. My boys pretty much bring what they always wear (tshirts/jeans).

Valor here I come! a few short weeks and i will be on the ship and i was just wondering when do you usually start packing for a cruise? I usuall pack like...a day before. anybody else? :D

Well Lets see...I have until May 17th til my cruise officially starts and I have had some things packed for a month now! <--I really did not need the things I already packed at home...just on the ship!

This past Weds, I really got serious about what outfits hubster and I should take. but they are all hung up in the closet still. Will pack for real in 27 days!

Wow some of you are very brave!!! I usually start getting stuff together a month before. But I do a bulk of the packing a week before. I usually wil come across something specific that I would only use on my cruise (over door shoe holder, part. sunscreen, pareos etc.) I put that stuff in a particular bag and keep it together until packing time. I always forget something so this time I will use one of the packing lists mentioned on these boards and tailor it to my needs.

I don't get the luggage out until the day before any trip I'm taking. At one time, I had a 'travel drawer' in one of my dressers, with all the necessities for travel - cruise or land vacations - like travel clock, sunscreen, beach towel, Bonine, etc. Everything handy for the next vacation.

Now that's a great idea! And one I think I will try to implement (that is if I can find a spare drawer that I can clear out!) ;)

Okay, are you people seriously putting clothes in a suitcase a month before your cruise??? LOL!!!

I pack the day before... if I have a later flight, I pack the morning of. Doesn't take me long to pack, maybe I do it enough to know that it doesn't take me that long, LOL... I can't imagine starting so early. The week of the cruise, I start doing laundry, going to the cleaners, picking up anything I might need... but packing? The night before, for sure :D

I have a bag that came with my suitcase. It is plastic and is actually for wet clothes. I keep our toiletries in there. They are always in there. I have the shampoo, conditioner, deoderant, toothpaste, toothbrushes, some safety pins, tylenol, a wine opener ;), flashlight (in case the power goes out)...

All those things that are too tedious to pack everytime. I refresh my supplies every time we get back from a trip. Those things aren't expensive but if I take off for a quick trip those are the things that are a pain to remember.

I will put all of my cruise only things in a box together (on today's Friday only sale on Amazon they have a collapasable cooler with wheels for $15!)

I will make a list of things that I am going to take, outfits all together for jewelry matching and shoes. The day before or day of (depending on time) is when I will put it all in the case.

I have learned so many great things on this list. I hope this helps someone else.

xoxo

:cool:

For my vacation on the Fantasy on May 22nd, I have bought ALL NEW CLOTHES!

I keep them in my closet, untouched, and then a week before I go, I pack them.

I wonder, is it strange to NOT want to wear the clothes until I am on the ship?....:rolleyes:

Ahh, someone like me here. I like to have all or mostly new clothes for my vacations. I hoard them back for the most part but will wear somethings on occasion.

I've been planning and buyiing here and there since we booked back the end of Jan. Thing is tho, I have been losing weight (92lbs. so far) and I have to be really careful because I am still losing, hopefully another 25 lbs at least by then. I alraedy can't wear any of the clothes I bought for last years cruise, only a few things, kinda bittersweet ya know............

WOW! I can't imagine packing the day of the cruise! We usually have to leave at about 4am to fly to FL. I pack my bag a couple of days before getting odds and ends together up until the morning of (ya know....like the hair dryer). My husband though, he's a whole nother story! I usually have to drag him to the closet and pack his clothes for him the night before. But it all works out!:D

I do like Cotton and then pack day leaving or if early flight..right before going to bed.

On our upcoming cruise, we are driving to NYC..yippee!!! I'm not to worried about it. I dont have to weigh luggage or anything. Plus it is in July so we are wearing summer clothes so just throw them in luggage. In February you arent wearing summer clothes in Mass so you can put things together in closet.

Valor here I come! a few short weeks and i will be on the ship and i was just wondering when do you usually start packing for a cruise? I usuall pack like...a day before. anybody else? :D

I usually start to pack a couple of days before the cruise, mainly the stuff that does not get wrinkled. I have "staged" my clothes that I will be taking by hanging them in a certain part of my closet. Of course everything has been pressed and ready to go. I use my checklist to "check off" anything I have put in the suitcase already. So far my "system" has worked well for me. Even as proactive as I am, the morning of packing seems to be a tense time since I feel like I might forget something,even with a list.

Well, this is the way I do it:

Like other posters have said upthread. I keep an on-going bag/makeup case with things I throw in there throughout the year (i.e., mini shampoos, conditioners, razors, mini flashlights, lanyards, sunscreen, etc).

I could never imagine packing the day before. I am FAR too excited to do something like that! For my very first cruise on the Valor which was last October, I started getting things ready in May (yeah, I know). But the planning part is just as much fun as the cruise!

I also look out for deals throughout the year on disposable cameras and knick-knacks to take along with me!

We start getting things organized in our minds a few weeks before the trip. My wife will usually buy some clothes the few weeks prior. Maybe a week before, we take stuff to the cleaners, buy a few last minute items, and generally get things ready to pack. As for packing, that's usually mostly done the night before we leave or the morning we leave if it's a late enough flight. Can't imagine packing any earlier. We pack some of the things we use in every day life, so I don't see how we could pack any earlier even if we wanted to.

Geez gang, I travel for a living and pack in about 15 minutes for a week trip and maybe 20 minutes for our Med trip of 16 days.LOL

Now my wife has been buying and packing for a month now and it is still 48 days still until we leave for Rome. For those so inclined, it must heighten the expectation of travel. To me, traveling is the pits, crusing is relaxation. Why get so blown away getting ready to go? Makes me tired just thinking about it!

BTW I keep a bag with all of the needs in place and only have to pack clothes and I am ready to go.:cool:

For my vacation on the Fantasy on May 22nd, I have bought ALL NEW CLOTHES!

I keep them in my closet, untouched, and then a week before I go, I pack them.

I wonder, is it strange to NOT want to wear the clothes until I am on the ship?....:rolleyes:

Me too!!! :D

Whenever I go on vacation I get all new clothes and will not wear them until I am actually there! One of the perks of traveling!!!

Archived