Would the ship leave you in a foreign country?

St.Love

Wow thanks, I guess we better have our butt in gear and know the time, lol.

Don't just know the time...know the ship's time and local time. Many have gotten in trouble for following local time when they should have been on ship time. Also, follow whether the ship changes time by checking the Capers each day. This has been a major source of confusion for us on our cruises.

Even on a ship tour, it is still up to the captain, although on a ship tour, they will know where you are, which is the crux of the biscuit, so to speak.

Sorry but this is incorrect,if you are on a ship's excursion they wil NEVER leave without you, It is part of the peace of mind you pay for when booking through the ship.

St Love: No one has mentioned to double check if the island's time is different than ship's and to keep your watches on the ship's time because leaving is based on that, not local time!!!

Sue

My husband had a bizare ? :p tonight. Would the ship leave you if you didnt board in time when you leave a island? I know they give you times when you arrive and leave but "what if" you lost track of time :confused: would you get left, lol?

In a word....YES....UNLESS you were on an excursion purchased through the cruise line.

Zydeco,

Those pics were great. How annoying....those people looked like they were just taking their sweet time.....that one girl was probably getting her hair braided, and then couldn't get back onto the ship until she bought a fake Louis Vuitton bag ( as you can see in the pic). I hope everyone on the upper decks were booing them as they took their sweet time back to the ship. I can understand if there was an emergency, but you would have seen scared looks on their faces.

Could you imagine being left behind in Belize City?! I love Belize (beyond Belize City), but that is one place I wouldn't want to be left in. In the two times I have been there, I don't recall anyone being left behind in that port.

Sorry but this is incorrect,if you are on a ship's excursion they wil NEVER leave without you, It is part of the peace of mind you pay for when booking through the ship.

Sue

But remember, many of the excursions end with "shopping" and they give you directions as to how to return to the ship. Even though this was arranged through Carnival, once they let you go shopping alone (the "tour" part is over) then you are on your own to get back to the ship.

Those four people should have been left at the dock. They were very lucky as I have seen people running up as the ship pulled away without them. Great pics Zyde and pretty funny caps too.

If the empty streets and closed shops weren't enough to tip them off, the ship blasted its horn a few times. Only one of tardies attempted to jog. Half the ship was out on balconies and up on lido and other decks yelling at them to get it in gear. Some people....

This was our first cruise port out of 4. Key West is PARTY town and they were definitly drunk upon return. We had already left port and then we stopped to wait for a pilot boat to bring them out to us. They were on the boat laughing and waving to those out on deck and the response from those on deck was to boo and hiss at them. NOT funny at all.

Kathy in Maine

Cozumel seems to be the #1 place for people getting left behind (well, at least it used to be when every cruise ship went there). Blame it on Carlos and Charlies I guess. Everytime I have been there I have seen people running on the dock as the ship pulls away. I hear some people change their watches, even after there are a hundred annoucements not to, and it also states not to in the Capers.

I guess some people are just clueless and think that 3,000 people are going to wait for them to get back to the ship when they feel like getting back. Me, personally, I get back at least an hour ahead of time...it's just not worth it.

It sure is fun to watch the runners though...the running of the fools......

We've seen people left at the pier twice. Both groups were running like crazy (one in Aruba had been at Carlos and Charlies, the other was a lone female in St. Maarten clutching shopping bags and crying) and passengers were razzing them pretty bad. I've also seen many running at full speed who just barely made it.

I would guess those people were used to people waiting on them and just couldn't believe the ship would actually leave without THEM.

To take the concept of being on time one step further, we had taken a ship sponsored tour in Playa Del Carmen which involved taking a bus to a little lagoon for snorkeling, etc. We were told to be backat the bus at a certain time which would allow the entire busload of people to do a little shopping in town before having to catch the tender back to the ship. We were told the bus would only wait 5 minutes. One couple was over a half hour late back to the bus with no excuse when they finally showed up. The driver had to go pull them out of the water. So after we finally left, this lack of respect for anyone else caused us all to miss out on what was already a very short time for shopping. Some people believe that their own time is all that's valuable and other's just don't matter. I'd love to have pictures of them to post.

Apparently it happens very, vbery often. Esp. Cozumel when they had late nights at Carlos and Charleys!!

Also happens a lot when the ships leave Florida as MExico is a 1 hour difference in time zone

WE just got back from the Ecstasy and in Calica we left approx 45 minutes late. Everyone waited til the last minute and port security was still checking in the line of people that had to be at least 200 people long. But low and behold, after checking in all those people we still saw taxis and jeeps racing to the dock. The best of all is these people who were 45 min. late, just strolled to the dock. No rushing on their part. Then finally we heard them call 3 passangers names and right when they were announcing these names a taxi pulled up and 2 ladies got out and they did run up the gangplank. But this was a good hour late. There is no way I could be that relaxed. i get to the ship a good hour before departure time.

We were on the same cruise with Zydeco and those ladies had absolutely no care about anyone but themselves. We were on our balcony on the Panaroma deck watching the whole thing. You could hear people from all over the ship yelling at them to hurry, telling the crew to leave them, etc. People were not happy. The same thing happened in St. Thomas the day before. We did leave 2 people there by the way, Zydeco. I ran into the couple that was "walking up the gangplank" and they told me the crew told them they were very lucky. They were getting ready to leave them too.

Remember, not only check the ships times but don't ask passengers from other cruise ship the time. Sometimes they are on a different time than you are depending on which port they sailed from. This happened last year to a couple in Cozumel. We sailed from FL but they checked the time with people from another cruiseline that sailed from either NO or Galveston. Different time zones from us.

The answer is YES. We left honeymooners in Dubrovnick, Croatia, and another couple in Florence last year. I can tell you that we were port side and had a balcony and we watched at all of theports and we knew when the ship would be leaving late. They start by calling for the passengers, and then they call again and give the stateroom number, you pretty much know what has happened. They will give ample time, depending on the next port of call and if they can make up time or not. I just felt bad for the Room Steward for the couple we left in Florence, as the next port was debarkation, I guess some one had to pack their bags.

Actually, they can, but would be very unusual, as in ALMOST never. If the safety of the ship is an issue, they will leave and pay the consequences. This is an almost never - similar odds to powerball, I would think. But possible.

My husband had a bizare ? :p tonight. Would the ship leave you if you didnt board in time when you leave a island? I know they give you times when you arrive and leave but "what if" you lost track of time :confused: would you get left, lol?

In a heartbeat! Their port charges are based on time in port and thousands of other people are also on the ship to be considered. I have seen people running down the pier as the ship was pushing away and they were too late.

Moral of the story - this is no place to lose track of time! Make SURE you know what time it is on the SHIP - not on the island - and get back there in time or you will have to fly yourself home!

In St. Martin, soem crew from Valor missed the ship, but made it to ours (Victory). Additionally some passengers had to hire a boat to bring them out. I could see the captain on the bridge, and he looked plenty mad. He was already 30 minutes late leaving, and then he left, and had to wait for the boat to drop these people off. I have heard that the crew gets in some trouble when they get back on their regular ship.

I have hear many names being called in Cozumel, up to, and as we were sailing away. I would think ti would suck to wake up in a bar at 2:00 A.M., no clothes, limited money, and no ship.

They will do it, best thing is to make sure your watch is on ships time, there is a clock when you get off, and get back on in time.

We were on the same cruise with Zydeco and those ladies had absolutely no care about anyone but themselves. We were on our balcony on the Panaroma deck watching the whole thing. You could hear people from all over the ship yelling at them to hurry, telling the crew to leave them, etc. People were not happy. The same thing happened in St. Thomas the day before. We did leave 2 people there by the way, Zydeco. I ran into the couple that was "walking up the gangplank" and they told me the crew told them they were very lucky. They were getting ready to leave them too.

I have a water balloon sling shot or two around here. Think I'll have to add that to the packing list for my next cruise. Let's see, at a buck a shot, at the pace they were walking, I should be able to earn 3 cruises off of that!

I know passengers are often eft behind - just thought all were back on in St Thomas, but by no means sure On my Valor cruise, at the first 3 Western stops, people were being brought back to the ship via boats. I got used to Valor slowing down so the latecomers could get onboard.

............ If you're interested you can read the whole thing at www.crewoffice.blogspot.com
What an interesting blog! I've bookmarked it so I can spend more time reading through it....... it has already answered several questions I've had about the crew and life on a cruise ship. Thanks for sharing this with us.

John

:)

Zydeco,

Those pics were great. How annoying....those people looked like they were just taking their sweet time.....that one girl was probably getting her hair braided, and then couldn't get back onto the ship until she bought a fake Louis Vuitton bag ( as you can see in the pic). I hope everyone on the upper decks were booing them as they took their sweet time back to the ship. I can understand if there was an emergency, but you would have seen scared looks on their faces.

Could you imagine being left behind in Belize City?! I love Belize (beyond Belize City), but that is one place I wouldn't want to be left in. In the two times I have been there, I don't recall anyone being left behind in that port.

What can you say?

Some people will never be bound by rules. Rules are for eveyone else but THEM. I say, Leave 'em behind!!!

Archived