Save the Towel Animals---Are they becoming extinct?

remydiva

No towel animals for us, either, and I'm perfectly fine with things remaining that way. On our first cruise my wife got a little stuffed animal to bring home as a gift and our stewardess did the same things someone else mentioned, i.e. propped up in bed watching TV and other assorted things. We thought it was kind of funny although it was unnerving to come in late to find the TV on.

A thought just came to me....do you think that they only do towel animals for the first time cruisers ie. those with the Blue name tags on the door? I personally love them but agree I wouldn't want my things gone through to use for props but it's ok if it's lying about the cabin in my opinion.

I love the story of the Lamby being used as a prop. My adultescent daughter's teddy bear was also used as a companion for the towel critters on RCCL.

The Lamby story reminds me of a Rhine River cruise in Europe a few years back where a very refined English couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary delighted in finding surprises each nite in their cabin. They gave us daily reports of the increasingly risque 'behaviour' of their night gown and PJs which they kept under their pillows. Each nite their steward would turn down the bed and lay out their night wear. By about nite five, the PJs had made their way over to the other twin bed and their 'arms' were entwined in a loving hug. Even with the breathtaking castles along the Rhine, it was THIS event that will probably be etched in their memories.

A thought just came to me....do you think that they only do towel animals for the first time cruisers ie. those with the Blue name tags on the door?

I don't think so as I was a first time Princess cruiser, but no towel animal.

Okay let's get our priorities straight - first and most important is the CHOCOLATE ON THE PILLOW - everything else pales in comparison.

Towel animals - added bonus? Just dh and I on our Princess Cruise and not a critter in sight? Hmm guess they were busy visiting all the other cabins?

Recent Carnival cruise with our 7 year old and it was a veritable jungle in our cabin - much to the delight of our son. My sunglasses are left out on dresser so they were often used as a prop.

By the 2nd night our ds could barely contain his excitement upon coming back at night - literally dashing down the hall with our key so he could open the door and see what creation our room steward had left for us.

It was quite fun and of course we had to take pics of each and every one so ds could show everyone at home his towel animals - it sure helped make his first cruise experience a very happy one!

Frouf

At first, I had no idea what a towel animal was. Now it is much clearer. Initially I thought you were referring to rodents running the hallways or in the rooms. Believe me, I did not want to get visited by these 'towel animals.'

Anyway, No, we have never been visited by them, but if they care to drop by next month on the Sapphire, that would be fine by us. :)

IMHO I do get many smiles from the animals but our best towel "animal" story:

DH and I were returning to our room on our honeymoon cruise on RCI/ AOS. When we approached the cabin there was a "do not disturb" tag in the key slot. We both looked at each other and both said we didn't leave it there. Upon entering the room, we found the tv on...again looked at each other...and both said we didn't leave it on. We tentatively entered the cabin to find a towel "animal" sitting up in bed, watching the tv. He had on my DH's hat, glasses and shirt. We got such a kick out this.

No...it may not be classy...just good clean fun. I'm taking Princess this time. Hope they aren't too stuffy to have some fun!

We received one towel animal, a crab, on our CB cruise last year. However, our 21 year old DD and her GF in the room accross from us received one every night (we had the same room steward).

I too remember fondly back to our honeymoon cruise on HAL's Volendam and 5th anniversary on Home Lines Atlantic where the room steward would place my wife's nite gown on the bed at turn down. All the ladies would talk about how they would hide their nite gowns yet the steward would be always be able to find them.

I LOVE the towel animals. Granted, I would not approve of the steward searching through drawers to find props, but anything I leave out I figure is fair game:D Some stewards can get quite imaginative with the little critters.

I also wouldn't mind my name spelled out in flowers:o

We love 'em - last cruise (NCL), the DW and steward had a competition going...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_animal

(there's a Google link in there with dozens of pictures)

Cruise Line C------ even has a book you can preorder http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=Specialty+Items&pid=7F7

-----Burton

I too remember fondly back to our honeymoon cruise on HAL's Volendam and 5th anniversary on Home Lines Atlantic where the room steward would place my wife's nite gown on the bed at turn down. All the ladies would talk about how they would hide their nite gowns yet the steward would be always be able to find them.

I remember when the stewards would lay out my nightgown, too, but I guess they aren't allowed to do that anymore. I'm sure its because people complained. But, they never went into a drawer or closet to get it. I usually hang it on the hook in the bathroom, so it was fair game. I also remember if one of us left an article of clothes out on a chair or bed, the steward would fold it up neatly and place it on the chair. If shoes were left out, they would put them in the closet. They don't touch anything anymore. Which is rather sad because I always thought it was a nice touch. THATS when I felt like I was being pampered. No one picks up anything of mine at home.

Could it be possible that you THOUGHT your sunglasses were in the backpack but you actually left them out unknowingly?
NOT possible. It was a sea day and I had my sunglasses in a glasses case in a backpack that I use only on tours. I don't use them onboard the ship during the day as I don't go out in the sun. They also used a scarf that was in a drawer. As I said, I don't leave things lying around in my cabin. I was a single in the cabin so there was plenty of space to put my things away.

I will be going on my very first cruise in September. I thought I had read a lot of very important information on these boards and was starting to feel ever so knowledgeable. I have learned how to prepare myself for possible seasickness, take half the clothes and twice the money and all kinds of other extremely helpful info. This thread is hilarious, and I think I shall be terribly disappointed if I do not encounter any of these creatures on my maiden voyage.;)

No towel animals on our Celebrity and Princess cruises, but we had a different towel critter every night on Carnival.

Also on Carnival, our waiter did magic tricks at our table in the dining room. Never have seen that on Celebrity or Princess either.

Still, I prefer Celebrity and Princess for a lot of other reasons.

Loved the pic of ?snake from Casshew...that WAS a cobra wasn't it? Anyone else got pics of pranks from their cabin stewards that they can post? Sadly mine are all in film format (gasp!) as I only went digital last year.

And Cruzin Virgin, here's hoping a terry towel critter ends up on YOUR pillow on your first cruise! They do add some fun and really, I'll bet they add to the steward's personal tips, or at least they should, if you enjoy them.

We love towel animals. We have had them posing with our sunglasses on, hanging from the ceiling, with our teens ipod and headphones. We bring a dry erase board/markers, and we write notes to our steward, and have had a few notes back which was fun also.

:) I can't believe those of you who don't like them....I always looked forward to the creative side of our room stewards......we loved them.....always get a good chuckle out of what they can do with towels!

But I must admit, I would be upset it someone went thru our stuff...but it has never happened......

Funny, Princess seems to be the only line we have sailed that doesn't have an animal each night.

Even our hotel in Cuba had them...:D

They don't roam the Hotel Nacional in Havana...was there for 5 nights and not a towel animal in sight. I did see the state security guy in the lobby though...he was kind of animal-like :)

Our family love those little animals and spend the half the night figuring out how to recreate them. We have even recreated them at home for our guests!!! On our first cruise (honeymoon) I was tipped off to them and told to leave my lingere(sp?) out and it was made into a different animal everynight. Hubby got a kick out of how they made so much outta so little fabric ;). I always leave sunglasses or hats for the steward to use. I think there fun for all. But then again, we have never had our things searched thru to make one.....

Archived