Red Hooking parking feess???

Hello-Kitty

How "awful" is the traffic on the BQE coming east from the Verrazano? I'm scared of the drive! :)

Take I-78 to 1-9 (this is one to nine not I-9)to the Holland Tunnel and then the signs for the Brooklyn Bridge and then the BQE West(I know you will actually going south but it marked west) to exit 27.....I avoid the bqe between the V-N bridge...this is actually much more direct for you. The only toll is the Holland Tunnel...

Take I-78 to 1-9 (this is one to nine not I-9)to the Holland Tunnel and then the signs for the Brooklyn Bridge and then the BQE West(I know you will actually going south but it marked west) to exit 27.....I avoid the bqe between the V-N bridge...this is actually much more direct for you. The only toll is the Holland Tunnel...

And when the road signs say "Squeeze Right" - do it!

Thank you very much. Is this - taking surface streets through unfamiliar terrority - easier than the simple-but-congested 278 artery?

We can get to NYC in three hours - so time's not a huge deal. My wife will be driving (and my eyesight prevents me from being much of a navigator) and she'd much prefer directional ease even with slow traffic.

Thank you very much. Is this - taking surface streets through unfamiliar terrority - easier than the simple-but-congested 278 artery?

We can get to NYC in three hours - so time's not a huge deal. My wife will be driving (and my eyesight prevents me from being much of a navigator) and she'd much prefer directional ease even with slow traffic.

except accross Manhattan you are highway all the way(which is less than a mile). On Saturday morning it should be no problem at all. There is a discussion on the other thread about the difference. Its well signed except when you are going to 1-9 North(which is to the right) just before the NJ Turnpike but if you get on the turnpike don't worry about it just follow the signs to the Holland Tunnel. Its only a dollar or so extra.

This way should be shorter for you than getting to the V-N Bridge as well

If you think the traffic on the inbound Gowanus Exp (which is the name of the BQE from the VN to the Prospect Exp Merge) is bad, try the BQE coming from the Brooklyn Bridge to Red Hook. It is the worst and can be packed at 2am. Are they to take Canal Street to the Bridge or West Street to South Ferry and then North on the FDR to the BB?

Why not take the West Side Hwy (West Street) when coming out of the Holland Tunnel to the Battery Tunnel which will take you right into Red Hook?

How "awful" is the traffic on the BQE coming east from the Verrazano? I'm scared of the drive! :)

Me and smeyer418 disagree on this. I say stick to the Verrazano bridge it's only 2 exits off the bridge (38th street than Hamilton Ave).

You are not going anywhere near the BQE coming from the Verrazano. The bridge takes you right onto the Gowanus Parkway than it's the 2nd exit. You will hit traffic when you merge to the right to get off Hamilton ave, or you can get off 38th street and drive under the Gowanus Parkway all the way to hamilton ave. If getting off 38th street there is a sign already there telling you which way to go to the port. Just stay in the right lane on the Gowanus to Hamilton ave and you will be fine.

I don't see the point in driving around jersey(past the Verrazano) to the tunnel than into Manhattan, across town over the Brooklkyn bridge into brooklyn. By the time you get to the tunnel you'd be over the Verrazano bridge and 2 exits away. If going to the tunnel you still have to go across manhattan than into Brooklyn onto the BQE. You will save $9 in tolls but will use $9 worth of gas and waste at least 35 min. driving thru staten Island to the Verrazano takes about 20 min. Than another 20 to the port.

On a Sat morning you won't hit any Traffic going thru Staten Island or on the Gowanus Parkway . If it's a week day once rush hour is over you will be fine(9:00-9:30).

Thank you all so much for the different directions - we'll be coming in on a weekday late morning, around 11 a.m. or a bit later - no later than 1 p.m.

I think, for the sanity of my wife, the most direct route is easiest. Sitting in traffic, so long as we know where we are, isn't a major issue. Thanks for the tip on the 38th street exit - that saves quite a bit of traveling on the expressway for us. Let's just all hope the surface streets aren't awful!

Again, thank you all! I'm sure this question will be asked millions of times in the next few months as the port really gets busy. Now the only hope is the 500 (I believe that's what the port authority site said) parking there is large enough for all of us who are driving in ...

If you think the traffic on the inbound Gowanus Exp (which is the name of the BQE from the VN to the Prospect Exp Merge) is bad, try the BQE coming from the Brooklyn Bridge to Red Hook. It is the worst and can be packed at 2am. Are they to take Canal Street to the Bridge or West Street to South Ferry and then North on the FDR to the BB?

Why not take the West Side Hwy (West Street) when coming out of the Holland Tunnel to the Battery Tunnel which will take you right into Red Hook?

SID!!!!!!!!!!

Please indulge my out-of-town ignorance. Is this "West Side Highway" the road I would have used to get up to Columbia? If so, I have driven this route, and the familiarity would be good for me.

The West side Highway begins at 57th street going North.

West Street- the most westerly street is the replacement at ground level for what was the Miller Highway below 57th street(until it fell down)...

If you check the directions on the link to the other thread, I give both the Brooklyn Bridge Directions and the Brooklyn Battery tunnel ones. In fact I wouldn't get on the BQE East over the Brooklyn Bridge but take the streets but I didn't want to confuse anyone. When you get on the BQE East you are getting off at the next exit....and its rarely backup from the BB to Atlantic Avenue...after Atlantic Avenue yes that is why I suggest getting off. and not following the directions to Hamilton Avenie East(as opposed to west)...

Or just do what we are doing. Take a limo. Taking us from our house in Jersey (only 10 minutes from Outerbridge Bridge) across Staten Island and over the VZ. leaving at 10:30 on a Thursday we should breeze there.

Archived