Walkie-talkies onboard?

Kooma

Please don't! Using these is even more rude than public cell phone use! Let the rest of us rest and relax in peace. Make arrangements to meet your party periodically during the day without having to page or squak at each other all day long. Get some exercising looking for the other members of your party in their favorite places. Leave notes for each other at the cabin. PLEASE don't use those walkie talkies (at least not on the ship). Save them for home or shore trips.

They belong at HOME or to be tossed overboard along with the yakers!...they are ANOYING LITTLE GIZMOS!:cool: :eek: :cool:

speaking of yakkers....While on the Sea Princess a couple of weeks ago, I would frequent the Internet Cafe on most days..sending a few emails and doing a "live" report for cruisecritic members.

Each time I was there, the same 3 ladies would also be there, and they had this need to read outloud, for all to hear, each and every word of each and every email the each and every one of them recieved.

You can just image how pleasant that was to endure....

Unfortunately, I asked about the usefulness of walkie-talkies, not for your opinions on their usage. Perhaps before sermonizing on what you think of them, you might want to find out that we had no plans on using them to annoy other people (although if I were on a cruise with some of you, I would be mightily tempted to), just to locate each other if the need arose. If you knew us, you would know you were singing to the choir. Maybe you should all read this post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=321140#post6444365 and see how other people can respond to a question without editorializing.

I can understand your dislike of the way people may abuse the usage of things like cellphones, 2-way radios, etc. I don't understand why you have to be so nasty when you're delivering your opinons.

Kooma

Get them they work great. I would stick to the Motorola ones. You will find some dead spots but for the most part you will be able to use them. You will have to find a channel that does not have to much traffic on it and you can also use the privacy code function or as is known it the radion wrold the PL tone function. Don't be concern with the peanut gang who is anti radio. just keep the volume low.

Thanks

Larry

WA2ATF

While I abhor cell phone "junkies", I think those little walkie-talkies are a great idea for families. They don't have a loud, obnoxious ring tone, they aren't as apt to be used for loud, pointless conversations, ("Where are you now? What are you doing? Uh-huh. Well, what did he say? Really?...",etc. etc., :mad: and they help you keep track of kids. I certainly would hate to see them used in restaurants, theaters, etc., as you so often see ashore with cell phones, but I'm sure you wouldn't do that. I have seen them used at places like Disney and think they are great, as long as the user is thoughtful of those around them.

Yes get them. There is no better way to find your partner. You can get ones that vibrate and won't bother anyone. I believe you can get them with headsets. They are useful on shore when you are split up at one place or another. You save the price of the radios themselves by trying to figure out how to do it by cell phones in different ports. Might even be very useful in an emergency like if someone gets lost or hurt in a port. Might make the difference of not missing the ship.

It never ceases to amaze me me how others are so controlling of their fellow passengers. You pay the same as they do for a cruise, you have the same rights. Of coarse your not going to talk to one table from another in the dinning room.

I imagine you can check with the line on what their policy is and the legality of using them in other countries than the US.

Keep in mind that those around you get the added annoyance of listening to both sides of the conversation, usually people shouting at each other......:rolleyes:

Use them sparingly, without long conversations and those around you will appreciate it....:)

They might be illegal depending on where you use them. Where are you cruising, and what type of walkie talkie are you using?

If you're talking about Europe using your US radios, don't do it! If you're talking about North America, I'd avoid it in Mexico.

Lot of info with links here (covers Mexican issue also):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=313639

We used them on the Golden last Nov., mostly to contact the kids. They're 11 & 9 and I didn't let them sign themselves out of the kids program but, if they called I went running to get them. My daughter has a food allergy so if she needs me I want to know (whether it offends others or not). I'll be the one with them on the Crown this Nov.,also. Believe it or not they worked better on the ship than they did at home. They were a help finding members of our group on Aruba,too. If you think you might use them or if you have kids, I say bring them. Enjoy your trip.

I never even knew people were annoyed by them!! I have to have them, my kids(2 of them) are old enough to walk the ship themselves, but after a while I need to check on them so I can relax too! It's a big ship & it can be hours I might not see my kids, those walkie talkies are a BIG peace of mind!!

Be careful. Their use may be Illegal!

Has anyone asked the cruise line? I am sure they would know. Other questions I need to know is can I wear bluejeans on formal night? Smoke cigars in the Movie Theater and use chewing tobacco in the swimming pool? I sure would hate to offend anyone.

Please read through:

I'm not talking about annoying other passengers. The frequencies used by walkie talkies in the US are used for other purposes in Europe. So if you buy some walkie talkies in the US, use them in Europe, you could be interfering with other types of 2-way radio systems. That's illegal. You may not get caught, but I wouldn't try it. In Britain, I think some of those frequencies are used for the amublence service. Not good. If Europeans use their walkie talkie here in the US, they're interfering with amateur radio operators here (hams). Again, not good.

Please read through:

I'm not talking about annoying other passengers. The frequencies used by walkie talkies in the US are used for other purposes in Europe. So if you buy some walkie talkies in the US, use them in Europe, you could be interfering with other types of 2-way radio systems. That's illegal. You may not get caught, but I wouldn't try it. In Britain, I think some of those frequencies are used for the amublence service. Not good. If Europeans use their walkie talkie here in the US, they're interfering with amateur radio operators here (hams). Again, not good.

Not going to Europe, but thanks for the heads up.

I used to use them with my kids. We weren't obnoxious with them, we were simply using them to locate each other and check in with the family.

Until one day when my walkie crackled to life with my son's voice, "Fart-knocker Two, Fart-knocker One, over."

Then my daughter's voice, "Fart-knocker One, Fart-knocker Two, Go."

And to think that I taught them the military alphabet. We left them at home this past trip.

RB

Illegal! You must be kidding. Technically there might be a legality problem when in certain foreign ports, but nobody really cares. We are now on the Grand Princess (crossing the Atlantic) and the cruise line actually rents two way radios to passengers for $4 per day per unit. Princess has obviously noticed all the radios and has now gotten into the act to enhance their profits. At $4 per day they pay for these radios in less than 2 weeks. We have no use for the radios, but it seems like a great idea for families.

Hank

Archived