GCT Burgandy & Provence May 15

edeco

We have just returned from the 4/17 trip. It was fantastic, much better than we expected, and the weather was fine, a little cool in Paris but warmer as we headed south. The wind (mistral) was blowing like crazy in Arles and the dust and pollen affected a lot of us that had allergy problems.

We flew Air France from Miami to Paris, arrived at 8:30am, got the luggage in minutes, met by GCT rep and were wisked in a private van to the Meridien Montparnasse Hotel. We met our tour director Jamil, and believe it or not the room was ready for us. He gave us maps and arranged a short orientation walk around the area for the dozen or so of us that arrived early, showing us restaurants, supermarkets and metro stations. The room was larger than most hotels we've been in and the everything was well maintained. We didn't eat or drink there, very expensive, and there are many brasseries around. Some folks picked up wine or beer and food at the supermarkets. The nearby Lafayette Galleria has one that includes takeout food.

Esther and I found the metro easy to use with the map and went to Notre Dame in the afternoon and returned for the welcome meeting and drink. Next day (3) we joined everyone for the morning bus tour and the optional afternoon tour of Versailles, both great. Excellent local guides.

On day 4, we went to the Eiffel Tower (use the North Tower ticket booth, longest line but you get the ticket for the elevator to the top, we waited an hour for the ticket and another 40min on the 2nd level for the elevator). The restaurant on the 2nd level was closed, unfortunately. We then went to the Louvre, had been there before so we didn't go in but roamed the malls below the pyramid entry, and then walked around the parks and shops along the Seine.

Day 5 we enjoyed the bus trip through Burgundy, had a wine tasting and fine lunch at an old (really old) castle, and then on down to Chalon sur Soanne to board the MS Provence.

Evidently the Provence and Chardonnay have the largest cabins of the GCT fleet, 200+/-SF, and they are quite comfortable, although some strange configurations. Excellent service from the Hotel Manager Mario, 2 waiters and 2 stewardesses. Breakfast was buffet, very good selections, lunch and dinners were extremely good, I could easily say gourmet, with nice presentations and variations, wine included with dinner. Amazing what a kitchen staff of four could produce. Some passengers brought wine on board to have in their rooms. Drinks at the bar weren't too high, $3 for beer or wine, $4-5 for mixed drinks. (10% discount for all purchases for Golden Circle members)

The 7 day cruise went by so fast, with wonderful vistas, great tours and a nice relaxing trip with interesting and well-traveled new friends. Everything was well organized and ran smoothly. The walking tours were mostly on cobblestone streets and walks, some with many steps or sloped, so be aware. The director advised us all beforehand in case anyone wanted to opt out.

We were bussed through the beautiful countryside to Nice for our last night, with a stop in Aix en Provence for a short tour and lunch. The Aston Hotel was OK, quite plain, some had nice rooms, some not so nice, but only a couple of blocks from the Prominade, and many many restaurants and shops. We had been to Nice last year so did not take the extension.

It is only 20 min or so from the Aston to the airport and small groups had vans for the flights. We left at 5:30am, but the counters were open and we checked in smoothly for our Air France flight to Paris CDG. Flight was on time and we had plenty of time to walk from Terminal D to C for our AF flight to Miami. Good flight and on time.

This was our first river cruise and we loved it. Our next is on September 6th, Moscow/ST. Petersburg, but we will be planning for 2007 as soon as they are listed.

Post questions if you have them. Will be happy to respond.

Esther and Joe (Two happy cruisers)

Esther & Joe,

Thanks so much for posting the review, we have two more weeks and can hardly wait! I am glad you had a wonderful time, sounds like everything went perfectly.:)

I know I will have questions so I hope you keep watching the board!

Take care,

Deena

JoeK - was this an OAT barge trip? or a regular river cruise. I would like to do the barge trip in bordeaux - and since these trips have such small groups its hard to get feed back and info.

skandls

Ours was the MS Provence, a river cruise boat, 46 passengers. I understand that the barges have anywhere from 6 to 12 passengers and sail on canals and small rivers. I've talked to people that have sailed on them and they loved it. The pace is slower, (Barges travel very slow...I've heard that one can get off and walk along some of the canals).

I also heard that the barges allow much more time in the wine country for more tastings. Sounds good to me!!!!

The only reservation I would have is possibly sharing the trip with 4 to 8 passengers that don't mesh. Esther and I love to meet new prople but there are some who are very reserved or keep to themselves.

Archived