Christiana in Copenhagen

I am not sure I have spelled it correctly, but has anyone ever visited there in Copenhagen? A friend told me it is a section of Copenhagen not to be missed. She described it as the hippy section of the city. Anyone ever been there?

I've read many reviews on this section of Copenhagen, try epinions.com, there are a bunch of reviews there. It's a "colorful independent" section of the city, where drugs abound, but it seems the authorities look the other way. Kind of a throw-back to the 60s? Lots of artists, restaurants, etc. I think it sounds intriguing, plan to do it ourselves.

Kathy

We spent 2 pre-cruise days in Copenhagen and planned to visit Christiana on the second day. Unfortunately, it rained that day and figured that most of the colorful characters that make up their population would be at home sleeping, so we opted not to go. If you look at a map, it's not in the heart of the city, so it's not a place you'd stumble upon. You have to travel a bit off the beaten path to get there.

The Rick Steve's Scandinavia guidebook give a nice description of it. Have a look at that to get a better feel. Also there's a map showing where it is.

I definitely plan on visiting there next time I get to Copenhagen.

Jane

Archived