Great Coupons If You Are Visiting Before October 16,2006

bhopal21

For you coupon hounds out there, I had posted a link to a page of ours that has two coupons - one for a scooter company, the other for a ghost tour company.

Unfortunately, the mods have deleted the post, since the site that has the coupons is "commercial" in nature. If you would like those coupons, you will have to search for it on the web. Do a search for "Key West Coupons" and hopefully you'll find it.

But think about it, even the "official" Key West website (keywest dot com) is a commercial website. People pay to have their business listed there...they make a fortune doing it. Also, the coupon page everyone is discussing here is a commercial site too. Plus, a fellow poster/contributor frequently lists his website, where he posts photos, and that page has a commercial side to it.

I have been trying to give my local advice here in this forum for over 1 year. But with the policy of this forum, it is getting harder and harder to see why I keep contributing. I do not spam and have never solicited a sale here. Why am I being punished?

Even my signature can't include a direct link to my Key West Blog! :mad:

Southernmost....I understand why you would feel that. I do not have anything "commercial" to offer here so don't hav that problem. But I do understand what you mean. At first they said if you were a TA you had to list it in your signature....then they changed it to where it wasn't allowed...then they go back and forth on that. (Not travel related industry here at all...so I don't have that issue but understand it is tough on both sides.)

Anyway.....I appreciate your info here. I hope you will reconsider and continue to post. For all of the frustration that you get from the mods/rules, etc. I want you to know us "ordinary posters" are appreciative of any/all info the locals can share with us!

Thanks.

For you coupon hounds out there, I had posted a link to a page of ours that has two coupons - one for a scooter company, the other for a ghost tour company.

Unfortunately, the mods have deleted the post, since the site that has the coupons is "commercial" in nature. If you would like those coupons, you will have to search for it on the web. Do a search for "Key West Coupons" and hopefully you'll find it.

But think about it, even the "official" Key West website (keywest dot com) is a commercial website. People pay to have their business listed there...they make a fortune doing it. Also, the coupon page everyone is discussing here is a commercial site too. Plus, a fellow poster/contributor frequently lists his website, where he posts photos, and that page has a commercial side to it.

I have been trying to give my local advice here in this forum for over 1 year. But with the policy of this forum, it is getting harder and harder to see why I keep contributing. I do not spam and have never solicited a sale here. Why am I being punished?

Even my signature can't include a direct link to my Key West Blog! :mad:

I agree with the above poster, we who are coming to visit your beautiful area (4th time for us!) truly appreciate what you do. I guess it is like anything else in life, if you don't like what is going on

(posts getting pulled, rules changing for posting, the weather, your weight,etc) just wait and eventuallly it will change, hopefully for the

better. The advice you gave for searching for the coupons was right

on, and not only leads to those coupons, but to other valuable infor-

mation about this beautiful area. Please keep up the good job educa-

ting us so that we can enjoy our vacations to this lovely area to the

utmost!

Thanks skiiergirl and janniebabe for the encouragement (and praise). Normally I don't get upset by this stuff. You have soothed my ego like a Mojito ;). I am right again.

I'm still posting.

First of all - enlighten me! What is a mojito?? Second, my DH and I are staying at the Doubletree during Fantasy Fest this fall, can you tell me what time their shuttles stop running for the night? Also, what is the scoop on the Royal Ball? I understand it is $10 to get in but what else can an educated :) local tell me? Can we get in without costumes or are they expected? We are really looking forward to this trip, need an "up", after the loss of my dad on Mother's Day....

The Mojito is one of Cuba's great contributions to the world of cocktails (along with the Cuba Libre...aka Rum & Coke).

Here is how to make a Mojito:

1. In a tall glass, put 1 tsp. sugar and 1 tblsp. mint leaves. With a masher/pestle, grind the contents to release the oils and flavor from the mint...takes about 10 seconds.
  2. Squeeze 1/2 lime over crushed mint.
  3. Add 1 tlbsp. simple syrup (or another 2 tblsp sugar)
  4. Add cubed ice.
  5. Add rum - usually a light-colored rum, like Havana Club (oops, that would be against the Embargo :D )
  6. Add a dash of Worstershire (this makes it authenticly Cuban)
  7. Fill rest of glass with soda water
  8. Garnish with lime wedge & extra mint leaves.

When done correctly, it should look like this:

mojito.jpg

More than two of these and you'll be speaking fluent spanish :p

Here is the Double Tree shuttle info:

10:40 is last to leave hotel for downtown.

11:00 p.m. is last pickup downtown at Conch Republic Seafood and at 11:05 at Duval Square.

With Fantasy Fest they'll go later...maybe two hours but I don't know the times till it gets closer. (Usually it goes to around 1 pm).

No, the Royal Coronation Ball will not be held at the Grand Key/Double Tree this year. It is instead at the Casa Marina and will be held on Friday October 20 from 6-10 pm. It is a very festive atmosphere, though you will be welcomed with or without costumes (and I don't mean naked ;-)). If nothing else, beads always go with Fantasy Fest parties.

I'm sorry to hear about losing your Dad. But if he meant so much to you, remember how lucky you are to have been a part of each other's lives. We are all but a brief spark against the infinite night, and I try to remind myself, when I lose someone I love, that I'm lucky to have shared the same, brief spark-of-time.

The Mojito is one of Cuba's great contributions to the world of cocktails (along with the Cuba Libre...aka Rum & Coke).

Here is how to make a Mojito:

1. In a tall glass, put 1 tsp. sugar and 1 tblsp. mint leaves. With a masher/pestle, grind the contents to release the oils and flavor from the mint...takes about 10 seconds.
  2. Squeeze 1/2 lime over crushed mint.
  3. Add 1 tlbsp. simple syrup (or another 2 tblsp sugar)
  4. Add cubed ice.
  5. Add rum - usually a light-colored rum, like Havana Club (oops, that would be against the Embargo :D )
  6. Add a dash of Worstershire (this makes it authenticly Cuban)
  7. Fill rest of glass with soda water
  8. Garnish with lime wedge & extra mint leaves.

When done correctly, it should look like this:

mojito.jpg

More than two of these and you'll be speaking fluent spanish :p

Here is the Double Tree shuttle info:

10:40 is last to leave hotel for downtown.

11:00 p.m. is last pickup downtown at Conch Republic Seafood and at 11:05 at Duval Square.

With Fantasy Fest they'll go later...maybe two hours but I don't know the times till it gets closer. (Usually it goes to around 1 pm).

No, the Royal Coronation Ball will not be held at the Grand Key/Double Tree this year. It is instead at the Casa Marina and will be held on Friday October 20 from 6-10 pm. It is a very festive atmosphere, though you will be welcomed with or without costumes (and I don't mean naked ;-)). If nothing else, beads always go with Fantasy Fest parties.

I'm sorry to hear about losing your Dad. But if he meant so much to you, remember how lucky you are to have been a part of each other's lives. We are all but a brief spark against the infinite night, and I try to remind myself, when I lose someone I love, that I'm lucky to have shared the same, brief spark-of-time.

Thanks southernmost for the reply and the Mojito sounds like a must try! I have saved your reply for the info on the drink, the dance and the shuttle - will be good to know when we head south.

As for my dad, I really was blessed to have been a part of his life. He

was an amazing guy, and the hardest thing was that while he was dying slowly, he was aware of everything that was going on. If he had been "blessed" with Alltzheimer's like my mom is, or comotose, itwouldn't have been as hard to deal with. He always said he didn't ever want to be a prisoner in his own body and damned if that isn't exactly what happened. Oh well, he's free now. Our native american roots were always a comfort and a strength to dad and I both, and I know I will see him again some day.

The Conch Tour Train

The Old Town Trolley Tour

WOW... I'm cruising in July with 5 kids (not all mine!!) and hubby and the above two tours it exactly what we want to do.... If you still have the coupons, we would love them and you!!!

Thnx...

ElaineM304 @ aol.com

Archived